AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 06-24-2017, 01:32 PM
Ultra-Fast 69

Default New Member: McIntosh Gear and General Questions

Hello -

Not knowing better, I stayed out of Hi-Fi when A/V came along mainly for simplicity. Looking back when I was growing up, my parents had the Marantz/McIntosh systems with the tuner knob you could twist and watch the dial glide across the FM and the big JBL speakers always sounding warm and powerful. 35 years later here I am.

I made the decision to begin my new system with McIntosh’s C2500 and the MC452. For source, I am using an Auralic Aries as a bridge between my MacBook Pro running ROON and Tidal Masters. Speakers are Focal 1038’s and the sub is from JL Fathom 112v2 Sub. Nordost Frey power and speaker cables.

I updated the firmware on the C2500 to the latest version as it was having issues holding the last know source and settings - it worked. However, on occasion within the display at start up or when tracks are over, it will display the word “Silent”, and other times it will show the spelling as semi-reverse, i.e “nt Sile”

Does anyone know why this does this, I am not sure if it is driven from the Auralic to create this or internally within the MC2500?

The more I am learning about DAC, Lossless, MQA etc I am now wondering if a new player would make sense to replace the Auralic Aries Bridge or if what I have is fine for now and sit back enjoy and ease into this instead of the upfront, need to have it all, then end up never satisfied.

I am new to forums, but not life itself. I would appreciate any comments on the system: problem solutions, gear selection and recommendations, or other general. No offense to any comment.

Thank you!
Old 06-24-2017, 02:45 PM
Listener in Training

Congratulations on getting back into the hobby - I jumped in after a long hiatus myself. Never seen the issue you mention with my C2500, before or after the tube warmup message when my Mac Mini is my direct source.

Having a video of the phenomenon to show your dealer may be the best course of action. You've got a great setup and if there's no impact to the sound, it's probably nothing to bother over, just a display glitch.

Enjoy that great system!
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 06-24-2017, 05:08 PM
Blown & Injected

Whatever you do, DON'T plug a turntable into that C2500! You may never leave your home again . . .

You may like to email Chuck Hinton at McIntosh and ask about the display - if anyone would know an answer, it would be he. CHinton@mcintoshlabs.com

Good luck and enjoy!
Old 06-24-2017, 05:27 PM
Greetings from NC

You arrived with an excellent system. The C2500 and MC452 are a great duo. Congrats and hope you get the display cleared up quickly.
Two Channel: McIntosh C2300 preamp, MC601 amps x2, MR88 tuner, MEN220; Esoteric K-03X; Aurender N100C 4TB; B&W 802D2 Diamonds, JL Audio F113V2 x 2 on Sound Anchor Sub Stands; VPI Classic Signature Piano Black, Ortofon Cadenza Black, VPI SDS, periphery ring, StillPoints center weight, Gingko Audio ClaraVu Dust Cover CT, KAB SpeedStrobe, Dr. Feickert Analogue Protractor; Sonos with W4S digital modification to W4S Remedy to Esoteric; W4S PS1 Linear Power unit for the 2x Remedy and Recovery w/ W4S PS1 Power Cord; Torus RM20; Wireworld Silver Series 7 Electra/Starlight/Eclipse cables and WW Platinum Power Cord for Amps and Platinum USB for Aurender; KLAUDIO RCM; Steve Blinn Designs extra wide three shelf rack; GIK Acoustics panels and bass traps, StillPoints Ultra Minis under all gear and Stillpoint Ultra SS under amps and speakers.
Home Theater 7.2: McIntosh MX150, MC452, MC207; B&W 803D2 Diamonds, HTM2 center, CWM7.3 surrounds; JLAudio F112 x2 subs; Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 65" Studio Master Plasma; Oppo 205; Crown FM Two Tuner; Sonos with W4S Remedy; Apple TV; Furman Elite 20 amp PFi x2; WW and AQ Cables/Cords; Salamander Synergy Four Bay Cabinet
Office 2ch with McIntosh vintage refurbished gear: McIntosh MC275V6 x2 tube amps; Klipsch Cornwall I vintage speakers (1982); AQ Dragonfly Red DAC/Jitterbug/cables; PS Audio Dectet Power Center; Mcintosh C28, MC2105, MR78 (with mod), MQ101, each with original walnut cabinet and panloc (1976), MCD7008 (1996), ML1C speakers (1976); Bang & Olufsen Beogram 4002 turntable (1976) with new SoundSmith SMMC20CL cartridge (2015); Salamander double rack
Old 06-24-2017, 05:59 PM
Ultra-Fast 69

Thank you for the welcome, comments and reference, I am excited to be in the HiFi community as not one of friends could care less on this hobby.

Couple things I did not mention, I grew up what is defined as Classic Rock and like the sound not to match the music. I am a Jimi Hendrix, Stones, Zeppelin, Who and similar.

Question now, is the DAC; I read about MQA and realize its new and controversial. Is there a huge gain, with a Cary or PS audio that has these options at $5K over what I have now?

Theres a point, where diminishing returns quickly come into play with this and want to be smart before making purchases.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by For The Love of Music View Post

Question now, is the DAC; I read about MQA and realize its new and controversial. Is there a huge gain, with a Cary or PS audio that has these options at $5K over what I have now?

Theres a point, where diminishing returns quickly come into play with this and want to be smart before making purchases.
IMO, There's lots of room for DAC improvement even in just the 3k range.

Last edited by Dr Tone; 06-25-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by For The Love of Music View Post
Thank you for the welcome, comments and reference, I am excited to be in the HiFi community as not one of friends could care less on this hobby.

Couple things I did not mention, I grew up what is defined as Classic Rock and like the sound not to match the music. I am a Jimi Hendrix, Stones, Zeppelin, Who and similar.

MQA seems to be gaining ground, though it remains controversial. There is/was a good discussion on MQA on the Bryston thread in this forum.

Tidal and Roon will play MQA and do the initial software-based decode. This should get you most of the MQA benefits.
I believe you can learn a lot about MQA without immediately needing a dedicated DAC.
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.

Last edited by clpetersen; 06-24-2017 at 11:13 PM.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:18 PM

I've owned an Aries for over year and it is a very good streamer so for now until the products from all of the companies that introduced new ones at the Munich Show hit the market in the Fall I would sit still. Same with MQA. If you haven't already become a part of the Beta testing program for Auralic and try their version of MQA style decoding. As they were one of the Original partners in the MQA group they certainly know how it is done. I personally haven't found enough material on the Tidal MQA list that interests me to fully test it.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:16 AM

If you were in the market for a new streamer/DAC I would recommend you give Lumin a look... I currently run a Lumin D1 with an upgraded power supply and am very happy with it. Lumin sounds very analog compared to others I've auditioned. They start at around $2k and go up from there
Hegel P30 preamp : Hegel H20 power amp : Focal Sopra No 1 monitors : Dual JL Audio Fathom 110v2 subs : Lumin D1 streamer with SBooster BOTW power supply : Rega RP8 turntable with Apheta II moving coil cartridge : Lehmann Audio Decade Phono preamp
Old 06-25-2017, 11:29 AM
Ultra-Fast 69

Thank you all for the Information, it helps narrow the process.