AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 02-11-2017, 12:42 PM

Two more impressions over the past few days: I initially used the power cord supplied by Oppo. I wanted to get things hooked up quickly. The sound was thin on the bass side. I replaced it with a better power cord and the bass filled out. Secondly, I would avoid silver innerconnects from the DAC to the preamp or receiver. I was using silver XLRs and I changed those out to copper wire only. The music is showing a vast improvement now.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamrak1 View Post
Two more impressions over the past few days: I initially used the power cord supplied by Oppo. I wanted to get things hooked up quickly. The sound was thin on the bass side. I replaced it with a better power cord and the bass filled out. Secondly, I would avoid silver innerconnects from the DAC to the preamp or receiver. I was using silver XLRs and I changed those out to copper wire only. The music is showing a vast improvement now.
Thanks for these updates. Sounds like it would make a nice addition to my system.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:28 AM
Keeping it real since '75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamrak1 View Post
I agree with your findings on the power cord swap (I used a Level 3 Reference AntiCables on mine). I only have copper interconnects, so cant comment on that but agree everything sounds good so far!
Old 04-04-2017, 06:34 PM

Anyone have an update on the Sonica dac? Anyone still listening to it?

Kev
Old 04-04-2017, 08:23 PM

Mine has in excess of 250 hours on it and still sounds good to me. Sure there are some things that need to be worked out on the streaming side with the app but that is the case with all new products. Most of the time mine is used as a DAC only and the Aries handles the streaming. Upgraded power cord and all Wireworld OCC copper in that system.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:27 PM

I've read that the Sonica DAC can't handle gapless streaming. Really? It's incredible that after all these years, any manufacturer would consider that optional. Sooner or later, listeners of any genre will come across a recording that requires gapless playback.

So I guess streaming is just a badly implemented feature. But why, then, include it at all? Marketing? BTW, you can build a Respberry Pi streamer for $100 that will handle gapless streaming. Why would a company with the resources of Oppo be so cavalier about this?

It's a sad reflection on high-end audio that a unit is sold on the basis of the latest and greatest chip, rather than musical functionality.

Unless what I read is wrong. . . . . I hope so.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:35 PM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Arrow The OPPO Sonica DAC is a great little Streamer!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-48 View Post
I've read that the Sonica DAC can't handle gapless streaming. Really? It's incredible that after all these years, any manufacturer would consider that optional. Sooner or later, listeners of any genre will come across a recording that requires gapless playback.

So I guess streaming is just a badly implemented feature. But why, then, include it at all? Marketing? BTW, you can build a Respberry Pi streamer for $100 that will handle gapless streaming. Why would a company with the resources of Oppo be so cavalier about this?

It's a sad reflection on high-end audio that a unit is sold on the basis of the latest and greatest chip, rather than musical functionality.

Unless what I read is wrong. . . . . I hope so.

Mine streams just great!!!! - In fact that is why I bought it . . . . I've got a couple of pretty good DACs - and they don't do anything but DAC!

And, I needed something to stream TIDAL and Spotify and to stream the output from my OLIVE 4D-HDs (I have 2).

Apple keeps notifying me that future updates to the iPhone and iPad will no longer support the OLIVE machines (and the software is no longer available from the App Store . . . and when they work, the Olives are super machines.

So . . . I ordered the OPPO Sonica DAC/Network Streamer,. and couldn't be happier . .

I have no idea what Gapless is and couldn't care less.

My Oppo Sonica does everything it is supposed to do . . . perfectly . . .

And, I have seen a long list of stuff that OPPO plans to add to the machine through future updates.

It sounds superb and does everything I need it to do.

The only thing I find to be lacking is a coaxial digital output - perhaps to allow use of a superior DAC, should the OPPO ever get long in the tooth.

And, if anyone wants to spend thousands of dollars $$$$$$ more to get something that may, or may not, sound better, so they can tell their friends that they have a streamer that plays GAPLESS . . . . Have at it!!!!!!!

Just don't shoot my pretty little $799.00 OPPO Sonica DAC down because it doesn't have something I'll probably never need anyway.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 04-22-2017, 03:07 PM

Julian

I own a Sonica too and I agree that it is a great piece of gear for the price. When you will notice the lack of gapless playback the most is on live albums when the sound will go silent for a bit between tracks instead of continuous crowd noise.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:38 AM

I was already making my mind to get this product to start my digital path (streamer + dac) and i was just waiting for the 5 star veredict in WHAT HIFI... when suddenly this happened...

https://www.whathifi.com/oppo/sonica-dac/review
Old 06-20-2017, 08:20 AM

Not surprising as OPPO is not one of their favored UK brands. Anyway mine sounds and works great and will only get better as the software and firmware matures.

Last edited by JMD; 06-20-2017 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Addition