AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 03-22-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearCityUSA View Post
Currently these are in my PSE with the IIRPS, so diode rectification. If I am not mistaken the 315V rating of these tubes if near to identical to the 6V6G specs so a similar v drop rectifier as the 5y3 should make everything run OK. With my setup as stated above I assume the Amp will be fine as you, AA, Dennis and I sat and listened to the 6v6g quad combo for a while in his listening room when I was picking mine up. I also recall Dennis buying a quad of same for his home PSE. As per Dennis' visual test, i.e. look for red-plating, I cannot do that here in my office. It never is dark enough so I am currently trusting everything is just going to be OK.
So it turns out this was a flawed thought process. I left the amp on over night because I often leave it on as I am thinking about other things and running to get the kids as I leave work. Well I arrived yesterday morning to a particularly noxious smell of burnt plastic/rubber. Everything was still glowing nicely but I did take a good whiff overtop the amp and that was the source. Pulled off the skid plate and a wirewound resistor was completely fried. It seems one of the tubes went "nuclear" (Dennis description). After admitting that I was running the 6k6gts I was gently chastised by the Man himself. Live, roll and learn.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:55 PM

BC, what rectifier were you using?
Old 03-22-2017, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
BC, what rectifier were you using?
My PSE has the IIRPS so diode rectification. DH and I did not discuss if there was an approved combo in his Tube rectified circuits.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:35 PM

I am not going to stick any of those things in my amp. See no reason to do so.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:53 PM

Nuclear ... Ha? With all the safe and wonderful alternatives out there, this is a shame. Sorry!
Old 03-23-2017, 08:34 AM

Well Dennis is sending me a brand new Inspire Fire Bottle PSE parallel single ended class A amplifier with volume control. I asked that it be furnished with Genelex KT66 output tubes as I prefer the sound of KT66/6L6's to KT88's, EL34/KT77's in my system.

Cannot wait to hear it with my Omega Super Alnico HO monitors. I have one of Dennis' IFA-1 amp now (again with volume control) and I like it's sound alot! Its the KT88 based amp built in 2015 for me. Not sure what I will do with it yet...likely sell it if there's a market for it?

Anyway, just thought I'd check in and spread the news!

Tim
Old 03-23-2017, 10:35 AM

Have any of you tested your GL KT77 reissues for grid leakage. I had my tester out and thought I would run the quad I have through the paces. Emission was strong but grid leakage was questionable for all four of a quad. I ran some JJ KT77s through and they did not act the same. These GLs are not that old (new in September and not always in the amp) so I was wondering if maybe this was inherent to the GL make. Any input would be welcome.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:34 AM

I don't own any GL KT77s so I can't test for grid leakage. I cannot remember ever hearing of that problem with them.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearCityUSA View Post
So it turns out this was a flawed thought process. I left the amp on over night because I often leave it on as I am thinking about other things and running to get the kids as I leave work. Well I arrived yesterday morning to a particularly noxious smell of burnt plastic/rubber. Everything was still glowing nicely but I did take a good whiff overtop the amp and that was the source. Pulled off the skid plate and a wirewound resistor was completely fried. It seems one of the tubes went "nuclear" (Dennis description). After admitting that I was running the 6k6gts I was gently chastised by the Man himself. Live, roll and learn.
If I remember, I was running the 6K6s at 250V in the amp I modified. Also, I'm guessing the bias circuit needs some adjustment, which is prolly why the resistor burnt out - it was drawing too much current.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatlebum View Post
Well Dennis is sending me a brand new Inspire Fire Bottle PSE parallel single ended class A amplifier with volume control. I asked that it be furnished with Genelex KT66 output tubes as I prefer the sound of KT66/6L6's to KT88's, EL34/KT77's in my system.

Cannot wait to hear it with my Omega Super Alnico HO monitors. I have one of Dennis' IFA-1 amp now (again with volume control) and I like it's sound alot! Its the KT88 based amp built in 2015 for me. Not sure what I will do with it yet...likely sell it if there's a market for it?

Anyway, just thought I'd check in and spread the news!

Tim
The new amp will light up your Omegas.