AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 11-14-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadil View Post
I've been quiet due to having to move (my leased condo was sold out from under me) and being on vacation. None of my gear has seen a volt since Sept 19th. I am getting closer to hooking something back up. As I sit here, I can see three tube amps looking at me. I have a bag of used tubes which I picked up during my vacation from a surplus store in New Smyrna Beach, FL. And I have two sets of power tubes ordered, a pair of 6SP3-e and a pair of KT120 (new, obtained at 40% off). So I will be tube rolling before too long.
After moving up and re-setting a new listening room for my gear, I still find my beloved 6P3S-E to beat anything else for acoustic or fewer instruments' recordings. Not that these would not perform very well with more orchestral selections, but they excel in those conditions. So, give these wonderful 6P3S-E's deep listening attention.

I also confirmed the ZBit direct to the Inspire SET (balanced signal) is better-sounding, other things being equal, to any other configuration, including the LP-27a in the signal path, although the latter is best for orchestral selections and difficult "Tutti" passages. This last effect resembles what's obtained with the KT-88's in lieu of the 6P3S-E.

Currently pending on the KT-66 and KT-77, which hopefully will enhance the 6P3S-E's transparency traits with some of the Kink Tetrodes' body-of-sound, without the unfortunate detail-masking of the KT-88's.

Last edited by Musica Amantem; 11-14-2016 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-14-2016, 03:56 PM

I've been quiet because I have had nothing of value to say. Some things never change.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
I've been quiet because I have had nothing of value to say. Some things never change.
That rarely stops most people.
Old 11-17-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
I've been quiet due to having to move (my leased condo was sold out from under me) and being on vacation. None of my gear has seen a volt since Sept 19th.
It lives! It lives!

I have most of my system hooked up. And this time the Inspire is finally driving my Von Schweikert (91dB) towers. Up to this point I have used it with Focal monitors. It will be fun to tube roll all over again. It will be interesting to see how deep the Inspire can go, as these towers can go down into the upper 20s with my SS amps. And to hear how tight the bass is, as these speakers have great bass definition.

This is a whole new ballgame.
Old 11-18-2016, 01:30 PM

Time to stop buying tubes!

The only piece of equipment I have which uses a 6SN7 is my Inspire KT88. It uses just one. But I have eleven 6SN7 tubes. A 6SN7 can last for many years. I probably have enough for 4 or 5 lifetimes.

I have two pieces of equipment which can use 6DJ8/6922/7308 tubes, one being my Inspire EL84. They use a total of 3 6DJ8s. These tubes can last 10,000 hours. I have 9 spares. So enough for 40,000+ hours.

Have two power amps which use EL84/6BQ5. I have 18 spares. My children's children would still have usable spares.

Power tubes for my Inspire KT88 now include:
Pair of KT88
Pair of KT77
Two pair of 6CA7
Pair of KT66
Pair of KT120 (on order)
Pair of 6P3S-e (on order)
Five pair of 6V6

Rectifiers, I have a pile of rectifiers. GZ34 / 5U4GB / 5U4 / 5VAGA / 5V4G / 5Y3GT / 274B with multiples of each.

12AU7 / 12AT7 / 12BH7 / 12AX7 - after selling off 20 or so of these, I am down to just 36 in my tube box. At least I have several working slots for these, across all of my preamps and amps I have 12 of these socketed. But again, these last almost forever.

It is just so fun to buy the little guys. And test them. And roll them into my 7 pieces of tube gear. Oh, and note to self, no buying more tube gear without selling something first.
Old 11-18-2016, 01:40 PM

Speaking of tube life, I have read posts from people who have claimed phenomenal tube life from both driver and power tubes. One retubed his McIntosh power amps 10 years ago and has left them on 24x7 and all of his tubes test as almost new. Another says he has an early 60s Dynaco ST70 that came with the classic Mullard EL34s. Says he uses it almost everyday and has for many years and the original EL34s are still fine. Another guy has had an Audio Research preamp running 24x7 for nearly 20 years with the same tubes, has well over 150,000 hours on them.

I tube roll all of my gear, and switch back and forth between my tube and SS gear. So I have never put anywhere that many hours on any tube. But I can say that I have never burnt out a tube ... in my life. I did have to replace two which were shorting. These things are hardy.
Old 11-18-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Time to stop buying tubes!
I don't get it. You seem to be having so much fun. I just went to the post office myself to pick up a small box with a couple pieces of magic glass. I must have hit the buy button again. A pair of Hytron 6v6gty from Massachusetts. Test good and now sound good. Paired with a couple Pope 6v6gt in my PSE amp. Sweet and revealing.
Old 11-18-2016, 04:42 PM

You both need to go to a Tubeaholics meeting.

I too have too many tubes, No more till I get rid of some.
Old 11-18-2016, 08:05 PM

Since I bought my Inspire amp, I have spent more on tubes then I spent on the amp. Thought I was done then just yesterday bought a USAF 596 rectifier and a socket adapter. Yes I am a tube-aholic.
Old 11-18-2016, 08:25 PM

I can't even say that it has been even one day since I bought my last tube. My KT120s arrived today. I have 0 days of tube-sobriety.