AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 07-22-2019, 07:46 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxima View Post
I ordered an NR V10 and received an NR V12 instead.

I am curious how each sounds. Has anyone listened to both on the same component?

I could always get both.

Thanks
Plug it in and find out!

What component is it going to power?
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:26 PM

I don't have both of them; just the NR V12 which was mistakenly sent instead of the NR V10.

I tried the NR V12 with a 1200AS2 Class D amp and was surprised as how good it sounded. I was wondering how the NR V10 would sound with this amp (or an AB amp for that matter).

I can return the 12 and get the 10, or keep the 12 and get the 10.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:03 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
I don't have both of them; just the NR V12 which was mistakenly sent instead of the NR V10.

I tried the NR V12 with a 1200AS2 Class D amp and was surprised as how good it sounded. I was wondering how the NR V10 would sound with this amp (or an AB amp for that matter).

I can return the 12 and get the 10, or keep the 12 and get the 10.
Hi Maxima,

Yes, the NR-V12 is very good-sounding. And very quiet, as well.

My guess is the NR-V10 will be very similar in overall character, but will able to deliver more current per unit time (i.e., dynamic transient current delivery) for dynamics and "scale" than the V-12. So, your amp might sound even quicker, faster and be able scale from piano to fortissimo more quickly and effortlessly, particularly on dynamic content. For example, when I put the NR-V10 to power my power amp, and put on "Asturias" from Albeniz' Suite Espagnola, I've never heard my Dyns scale so fast, so cleanly, so powerfully from "soft" to fortissimo. In fact, I've never known before my Dyns could even do that; but they can with the NR-V10. I've had these speakers for 10 years, and yet, was left literally shaking my head in disbelief (who needs Wilsons or Magicos? ).

I don't know your amp; what is the make and power specifications?

If you have a preamp, phono stage, or DAC, the Venom NR-V12 will really bring that component to life. If you have the budget, I would get an NR-V10 for your amp and put the NR-V12 on one of your other components.

The more of these you place into your overall system of power distribution for your components, the better the performance, audio quality and noise suppression of your system will be overall and "on the whole".

This is why Shunyata have long recommended using your budget to put as many "very good power cords" into your system rather that using that same budget for one "exceptional", more expensive, power cord, and then use generic or "lesser" power cords for the other components.

In other words, if you have, for example, four components and a $2000 budget for PCs, one would realize more benefit and performance overall from using four $450 NR-V10s than one $2000 power cord for one device.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 07-22-2019 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:50 PM

Thank you for your observations about the different cables and their applications.

I have always preferred a 10 (or larger) gauge cord for a power amp. I will try the 10 ga and will likely get the 12 ga for another component.

And yes; the cost benefit appears to be off the chart.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:03 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Thank you for your observations about the different cables and their applications.

I have always preferred a 10 (or larger) gauge cord for a power amp. I will try the 10 ga and will likely get the 12 ga for another component.

And yes; the cost benefit appears to be off the chart.
Yup!

Enjoy!
Old 07-23-2019, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuillaumeB View Post
Hi guys,

Here's a video we have just created to help launch the new Venom NR range:

https://youtu.be/U5X4VASht6I

Cheers,

Guillaume
Is there anyone who’s used these cables in their A/V system who can give any comments on how they affect the video presentation on LCD, Plasma, and OLED monitors along with BluRay players, Apple 4K tv, TiVo and streaming devices. Although Shunyata’s sister Company is in the medical field clearing up medical imagining, I am curious how that translates to the video side of home theater in clearing, cleaning, and giving more saturation to images by removing component to component video noise and cleaning up the incoming AC current. Maybe Caelin and Grant could chime in here as most of the talk so far has been about the audio side of the equation rather tha Video. That would be most appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:56 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLF View Post
Is there anyone who’s used these cables in their A/V system who can give any comments on how they affect the video presentation on LCD, Plasma, and OLED monitors along with BluRay players, Apple 4K tv, TiVo and streaming devices. Although Shunyata’s sister Company is in the medical field clearing up medical imagining, I am curious how that translates to the video side of home theater in clearing, cleaning, and giving more saturation to images by removing component to component video noise and cleaning up the incoming AC current. Maybe Caelin and Grant could chime in here as most of the talk so far has been about the audio side of the equation rather tha Video. That would be most appreciated. Thanks.
I've been using the new Venom 14 Digital for my Samsung HDTV and it brings a notable increase in video quality. While I'm reluctant to use the "blacker blacks" descriptor, that is exactly what is observed, along with brighter, more saturated and vivid colors, and increased image sharpness and acutance. So, yes, it does all the things you have mentioned.

As the V14-D also lowers the noise of the power strip its plugged into, it also has improved the audio quality of my AVR.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
I've been using the new Venom 14 Digital for my Samsung HDTV and it brings a notable increase in video quality. While I'm reluctant to use the "blacker blacks" descriptor, that is exactly what is observed, along with brighter, more saturated and vivid colors, and increased image sharpness and acutance. So, yes, it does all the things you have mentioned.

As the V14-D also lowers the noise of the power strip its plugged into, it also has improved the audio quality of my AVR.
My experience with Shunyata power cables (well, all their cables) is that they greatly improve the performance of any of my audio/video equipment.

Not the Venoms, but I've been using the Alpha NR cables on my plasma TV, pre/pro, and DVD player and there is a noticeable improvement in picture quality from all sources. And, I'm getting much better sound out of my pre-pro.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:57 AM

Here's yet another question;

I have ordered two Venom NR V12s for my my dac and cd transport. They haven't even arrived yet and I know at some point, (maybe tonight) I'm going to want the V10 for my amplifier.

Should I get one for my Equi Core 1800 as well?

When I purchased the Equi Core I also purchased 4 of their power cords. No idea if they are 10 or 12 gauge.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Dali Epicon 8, Luxman 509X, highy modified MDHT Orchid Dac, Cambridge Audio CD transport, iMac, Core Power 1800, Shunyata and Nordost cables
Old 07-25-2019, 02:30 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzzmusician View Post
Here's yet another question;

I have ordered two Venom NR V12s for my my dac and cd transport. They haven't even arrived yet and I know at some point, (maybe tonight) I'm going to want the V10 for my amplifier.

Should I get one for my Equi Core 1800 as well?

When I purchased the Equi Core I also purchased 4 of their power cords. No idea if they are 10 or 12 gauge.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Bob
What is an Equi Core 1800?