AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Turntables & Tonearms

Turntables & Tonearms Where Analog still Rules

Old 06-07-2020, 05:01 AM

More cowbell!
Avid Acutus SP, NO ARM, Benz Micro LP-S, Whest Audio PS.40RDT SE, PS Audio DSMP+DS DAC, Simaudio Moon 700i, Dali Epicon 6, Simaudio Moon Nēo 430HAD, HiFiMan HE-1000v2, Chord Sarum SA XLR, RCA, USB, Chord Sarum speaker, Nordost Vishnu power, Furutech plugs, PS Audio P10+Chord Sarum SA power, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Ultra Mini and LPI, HiFi Racks rack, Audio Desk Systeme PRO+Keith Monks Omni RCM
Old 06-09-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
I got an e-mail from Christian at SOTA a while back. The problem was using dirty records, says he, and that he would bring it up with the staff. That is plausible, so I'll leave it there for now. My (admittedly superficial) inspection shows no other issues.

I haven't had much real opportunity to play records, but what I have played sounded good. In fact, at times it sounded as if I were playing a CD, nice and crisp. On Santana's Inner Secrets, the cowbell in One Chain (Don't Make No Prison) was in the room!
If your still having problems setting up your table I'll try and help you tonight. I don't have time right now to read some of the back pages as to what you have done. I have lots of these tables for many years so I can guid you pretty good, setup is very important to get the best out of the table.

At the beginning of the thread I said this guy needs a SOTA, you have made the right move, you just need to get it right.
Old 06-14-2020, 11:33 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 View Post
If your still having problems setting up your table I'll try and help you tonight. I don't have time right now to read some of the back pages as to what you have done. I have lots of these tables for many years so I can guid you pretty good, setup is very important to get the best out of the table.

At the beginning of the thread I said this guy needs a SOTA, you have made the right move, you just need to get it right.
Thanks for the offer.

A simple stylus cleaning solved the problem, as it turned out. Now, the problem is making the time to play more records. One of the things that made me hesitant initially to buy a new TT was that I wasn't playing records that much, so why spend the money? If I don't work that out then the whole thing is a waste (almost) and I should have just kept the VPI. Since June began I've played only 2 LPs.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 07-09-2020, 06:39 PM
Semi-audiophile

Watching a World Wide Stereo video featuring a McIntosh presentation, I saw behind the rep what looked very much like a Pro-ject Xtension 10 and felt a brief twinge of regret that I didn't get one. Am I weird?
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 07-29-2020, 09:09 AM

My speaker’s woofers seem to be moving WAY more than the bass would require. When the song goes into the next song on the record, the woofers are still going in and out at a manic pace, despite no bass sound being present. I am not hearing any hum or unwanted noise.

My turntable is 30 feet away from my front wall on a very heavy solid cabinet with solid floors and My phono stage is musical surroundings grounded to Technic SL-1700mk2 with a shure v15 typeIV cartridge using a Jico Vn45he SAS Stylus. I have a ground wire running in plastic PVC pipe through the walls all the way to my McIntosh C2700 preamp from the phono stage. And I tried the turntable hooked up directly to the McIntosh phono imput up front not using the musical surroundings phono stage and still the same problem.
I tried using vibration isolation pads under the TT. Also read about rumble filters but my stereo shop didn’t recommend that to solve the problem however maybe it’s in the tonearm. Possibly the plinth is not solid.
Probably the best thing for me to do is to find another turntable and see if it does the same thing or not.
I love collecting records but my blue sound no to I seem to be less guesswork.
I’m going to eventually figure this out and I know my turntable is nothing special. After I get my stereo system complete, I may buy a better turntable. Any suggestions would be awesome.
Thanks.
Jim
Old 08-25-2020, 11:08 PM

Check these things out, put them under my turntable and worked like a charm.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...d-b31d6b1bfbee
Old 08-31-2020, 04:03 PM

@ erfurt.
Thanks for the suggestion.
I have them ordered to try it out.

Jim
Old 08-31-2020, 04:10 PM

@ erfurt.
Thanks for the suggestion.
I have them ordered to try it out.

Jim