AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 07-13-2011, 05:19 PM

Default Ar dac-7

I listen to CD only and currently have an Rega Apollo. How much improvement will I yield by adding the DAC-7? I don't have the opportunity to listen and appreciate any feedback/opinions from individuals who have heard the DAC-7.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:25 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

I have a DAC-7 and it's excellent. I asked my dealer if I should consider upgrading to the DAC-8 with its much improved USB and he said no. Not that the DAC-8 isn't better, it is, but I have a MCD-500 and I use my DAC 7 for Sonos, Blu-Ray, and Satellite receiver. It does wonders for Sonos

Last edited by JBT; 07-13-2011 at 10:28 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-13-2011, 10:56 PM

Default Dac7

JBT

Do you think the DAC7 will offer significant sonic improvements or minor?
Old 07-14-2011, 12:08 AM

I must admit that I am not that familiar with the Apollo, but I am very familiar with both the DAC7 and the DAC8. I have used both with the SPDIF output from Sony SACD transports (XA9000ES & 5400ES - 16/44.1 only). Both ARC models were an improvement over the very good (and upsampled to DSD resolution) output stages of the Sony players - they possess a more fluid, organic and detailed sound (not surprising, the ARC house sound). Having owned a DAC7 for over two years and having upgraded to the '8, I'm confident in saying that the upgrade is significant. The USB input is appreciably better, but the SPDIF inputs also benefit from the dual clocks and improved transformer in the '8. Your dealer is doing you a disservice by suggesting otherwise.
Wilson Sophia 2's, Devialet D-Premier, Transparent Ultra ICs & SCs, Transparent Reference power products, Oppo BDP-103, Clearaudio Ovation TT & Benz Ace SM, Finite Elemente Pagode stands, ASC Tube Traps & Sound Panels
Old 07-15-2011, 06:14 PM

Default Dac-7

Well I added the DAC-7. My immediate reaction is the DAC-7 lets me hear a little more detail. The unit is new and it's my understanding it takes a while to break-in. I'm curious how much the sound will improve over time?
Old 07-16-2011, 12:15 PM

I left my DAC 7 on for two weeks solid before I did any serious listening.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:10 PM

JBT

My initial impressions are that adding the DAC-7 has made a ever so slight improvement over the Rega Apollo. In particular, slightly more open, bass, more space. My wife believes the DAC-7 has had more impact and improve the sound to a larger degree than I say. I sent an email to my dealer and he said "don't panic" give sometime and I will hear significant improvements. Has yours improved over the two week break-in?
Old 07-16-2011, 03:41 PM

ARC has generally recommended at least 600 hours of break-in time for their products and they will continue to improve over that entire period. I've consistently found that most of the improvement happens in the first 200-250 hours (about 2 weeks of consistent break-in). The break-in should be "active"; meaning not only do you have the device powered on, but you also have it performing its function (Preamp should be passing a signal, amplifier driving a signal to a speaker load, cd player spinning a disc and outputting a signal - DAC converting a signal to analog output).

Be sure that it isn't just on, but also put your cd player on repeat and have it send a signal into the DAC. In this case It is not necessary to always have your downstream components powered on (pre, amp, etc).
Wilson Sophia 2's, Devialet D-Premier, Transparent Ultra ICs & SCs, Transparent Reference power products, Oppo BDP-103, Clearaudio Ovation TT & Benz Ace SM, Finite Elemente Pagode stands, ASC Tube Traps & Sound Panels
Old 07-16-2011, 10:28 PM

I have a DAC8 and I can tell you that I've gone through a similar experience. It certainly has been improving as the number of hours continues to accumulate. It was pretty good out of the box but has been evolving. I'm very pleased thus far.

I'm using an Oppo 83se as the transport. The difference in sound when I use the DAC8 as the processor vs. the Oppo by itself is significant. Dynamics, bottom end, soundstage and image are much better with the ARC. Now, it was not as significant out of the box. After over 100 hrs the DAC8 has evolved to be in a different league.

Mike
Old 07-18-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricjor1 View Post
JBT

My initial impressions are that adding the DAC-7 has made a ever so slight improvement over the Rega Apollo. In particular, slightly more open, bass, more space. My wife believes the DAC-7 has had more impact and improve the sound to a larger degree than I say. I sent an email to my dealer and he said "don't panic" give sometime and I will hear significant improvements. Has yours improved over the two week break-in?
I've had mine for 3 years. And yes, it kept getting better and better the more hours I used it. It is a wonderful performer. Sonos while good by itself is damn good with my DAC7.