AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 04-04-2010, 08:32 AM

Default McIntosh Solid State vs VTL with Sashas

I am currently using a McIntosh 402 power amp with my Sashas along with a C2300 tube preamp.

But I have been curious about going to tube amps and was wondering if anyone has any experience with VTL amps. In particular, the MB450 II or even the S400.

I am not interested in going to McIntosh 2301 tube amps as I have heard them with the Sashas and did not like the combination.

Other than VTL, what about the BAT 150 SE monoblocks? Or are there any others I should put on my short list? My budget is under $10,000 used. I am not looking to open a general discussion of tubes vs solid state and am interested in those with tube amp experience particularly with Sashas, given their 1.8 Ohm dip in the bass.

Although my room is large, I don't listen crazy-loud and usually keep it around 85db.

Thanks,

Dave
SF Stradivari, Aric Audio Motherlode XL preamp and Super KT Parallel amps; Pass XP 27, Raven One TT, Graham Phantom II arm, Lyra Etna Lamda, Airtight PC1, Bryston 3.14 DAC, Transparent Reference & Wireworld, dedicated treated room 17 X 34 X 9

Last edited by daveneumann; 04-04-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Wilson Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveneumann View Post
I am currently using a McIntosh 402 power amp with my Sashas along with a C2300 tube preamp.

But I have been curious about going to tube amps and was wondering if anyone has any experience with VTL amps. In particular, the MB450 II or even the S400.

I am not interested in going to McIntosh 2301 tube amps as I have heard them with the Sashas and did not like the combination.

Other than VTL, what about the BAT 150 SE monoblocks? Or are there any others I should put on my short list? My budget is under $10,000 used. I am not looking to open a general discussion of tubes vs solid state and am interested in those with tube amp experience particularly with Sashas, given their 1.8 Ohm dip in the bass.

Although my room is large, I don't listen crazy-loud and usually keep it around 85db.

Thanks,

Dave
Hey Dave,

This would be a great question to ask Jerron at Wilson. Give him a call at 801-377-2233 or email him at jerron@wilsonaudio.com

Deb
Old 04-05-2010, 11:35 AM

i have driven my sasha with a pair of Audio Research reference 210 and have only the best to report. they really bring out the magic of the sahsa's midrange voicing.

switching to a Pass Labs X-350.5, i was reaffirmed in my choice of the 210's. they grip the speaker just like a solid state amp and have good control over the bass....even at higher spl's no issues encountered and therefore they seems to deal very well with the impedance dip.

however, the 210's are among the powerhouses in the tube amp world. so tubes should be no problem unless you would go for tiny 300B based amps i guess.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:40 AM

i think the ARC Refernece 110's might suit you well too while fitting your budget.

if it does not HAVE to be tubes, you should also try to audition pass labs XA series. have heard and read only the best about them.

good luck.....
Old 04-05-2010, 11:51 AM

I have heard the Sasha's with both the 2301's and the Nick Doshi mono-blocks. Neither had any problem driving the amps to very loud levels. Which you would prefer, I cannot say.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intouch1 View Post
i have driven my sasha with a pair of Audio Research reference 210 and have only the best to report. they really bring out the magic of the sahsa's midrange voicing.

switching to a Pass Labs X-350.5, i was reaffirmed in my choice of the 210's. they grip the speaker just like a solid state amp and have good control over the bass....even at higher spl's no issues encountered and therefore they seems to deal very well with the impedance dip.

however, the 210's are among the powerhouses in the tube amp world. so tubes should be no problem unless you would go for tiny 300B based amps i guess.

I have heard Sasha's with ARC Ref5 + Pass XA100.5 (very better and sweeter than 350.5) , and it was a great moment of pleasure. Now I have Sasha's and XA100.5 at home, next step will be perhaps ARC Ref5 or XP20.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:32 PM

What is "missing" with the 402, making you want to switch to tube amps ?

Jérôme
Old 04-05-2010, 05:58 PM

VAC is another high end tube manufacturer to consider.

http://www.vac-amps.com/homepage.htm
Old 04-05-2010, 06:53 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies and advice.

Deb - thanks for the tip to call Jerron. I have already done that and he pointed me to ARC and VTL. By the way, he is a great guy and obviously passionate about audio and helping Wilson customers. We had a nice chat.

Jerome - very insightful question, "What am I missing?" That is always a good place to start when considering a change. Actually, the only thing I think I might be missing is some midrange dimensionality and layering that tubes have given me in other systems. But mainly, I am just curious about having a tube amp to switch back and forth for a different presentation.

Stillone - When I auditioned the Sashas with McIntosh 2301's at a dealers showroom the mids and highs were great but the bass was a little boomy and slightly disconnected from the rest of the music. Maybe it was set-up?

intouch1 - thanks for the thoughts on the ARC 210's. They are also on my short list.

Regards,

Dave
SF Stradivari, Aric Audio Motherlode XL preamp and Super KT Parallel amps; Pass XP 27, Raven One TT, Graham Phantom II arm, Lyra Etna Lamda, Airtight PC1, Bryston 3.14 DAC, Transparent Reference & Wireworld, dedicated treated room 17 X 34 X 9
Old 04-05-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveneumann View Post
Stillone - When I auditioned the Sashas with McIntosh 2301's at a dealers showroom the mids and highs were great but the bass was a little boomy and slightly disconnected from the rest of the music. Maybe it was set-up?

Dave
1.8 ohm dip at 91 Hz in Sasha. Tube amps don't like it.

Last edited by PHC1; 04-05-2010 at 07:04 PM.