AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Dynaudio Speakers

Dynaudio Speakers Authentic Fidelity

Old 01-11-2012, 02:29 PM

So Dynaudio is moving thier line to Best Buy?....
Old 01-11-2012, 03:00 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post
I understand that, but how much of an audience is at that price point, that isn't the audio enthusiast crowd. What is there between the Best Buy customer slobbering over Bose and the AA/SH/AVS crowd? Isn't that Dynaudio's market segment for this product?
The audio market that is available is shades of grey and more nuanced than a "it's either high-end audiophile or it's Best Buy" scenario. The marketing world for audio is not black or white.

I think there's a lot of opportunities in the retail, online, and brick and mortar space without having to resort to the lowest common denominator of Best Buy. As a result, I don't think that Dynaudio has a big-box Best Buy model in mind at all. For example, my local audio dealer has carried Peachtree since their arrival on the market in '07-'08 timeframe and that brand has been a very big succcess for them, to be able to give a wider (read: non-audiophile) set of customer segments access to high-quality sound from their iPods and iTunes musc libraries, yet also very high on the WAF/industrial design end of things.

We have to remember that the "audiophile" market is a niche market, and by that, I mean small...very small compared to the consumer electronics market as a whole. For the vast majority of consumers of music, 99.9% of them, 240 or 320 Kbps mp3 or mp4 files from the iTunes Music store is "good enough"....and they simply don't care about 24/96, and to them, true CD quality is the current reference standard.

The XEO product line is targeted to the same types of everyday folks that appreciate good sound, and would use a Peachtree Nova with their Dyn XEO speakers.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 01-11-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:01 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by A/V Solutions View Post
So Dynaudio is moving thier line to Best Buy?....
No....they are approaching the same kind of market Peachtree is marketing to; online and brick and mortar audio retail stores.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:48 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

I have no doubt it'll sound great. It will be interesting to see how it does. For a non-audiophile audience, $4K for a Xeo5 system sounds like a lot of money to me, and you still have to plug stuff in.

Dynaudio should partner with Apple, for when they bring out their HDTV this year, to sell them as a bundle.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:50 PM
Learning to Listen

PC is on target here. Also, remember that going from "crap" to Bose for some is a big step up, and that costs at least 2k for one of their better systems. What if they were able to get close to mid-fi with these new Dyn systems, do so close to plug n play, high WAF, and get (to them) amazing sound in more than one room, controlled thru their phone!

In my market research world, this pencils out like a very large (international) market that is just the beginning. Look for higher resolutions in the future.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:01 PM

Pricing:

Personally I think the pricing is fine for this product. Considering some of the other products out there like those iDocks from B&W or Geneva which I think are expensive for such a small setup. $600 for a B&W Zeppelin.

How much would a basic setup cost somebody?

Speakers $1000
Integrated Amp $500
Source $200

Add in the fact that connecting everything together can be painful for some people.

Clearly this won't be for people that want the cheapest sound they can get for their money but if Bose can charge $1500 for one of their 'Wave music systems' the Xeo will be a bargain at $2000.

I'm hoping this sells very well for Dynaudio.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:32 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantmorehd View Post
Pricing:

Personally I think the pricing is fine for this product. Considering some of the other products out there like those iDocks from B&W or Geneva which I think are expensive for such a small setup. $600 for a B&W Zeppelin.

How much would a basic setup cost somebody?

Speakers $1000
Integrated Amp $500
Source $200

Add in the fact that connecting everything together can be painful for some people.

Clearly this won't be for people that want the cheapest sound they can get for their money but if Bose can charge $1500 for one of their 'Wave music systems' the Xeo will be a bargain at $2000.

I'm hoping this sells very well for Dynaudio.
The Xeo does not provide a source, so if you are factoring that into the price comparison it has to be added.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:46 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pider View Post
PC is on target here. Also, remember that going from "crap" to Bose for some is a big step up, and that costs at least 2k for one of their better systems. What if they were able to get close to mid-fi with these new Dyn systems, do so close to plug n play, high WAF, and get (to them) amazing sound in more than one room, controlled thru their phone!

In my market research world, this pencils out like a very large (international) market that is just the beginning. Look for higher resolutions in the future.
I agree...as a company, you have to look for opportunities for growth, and the audiophile market is a very small one with many market offers. Not much room for growth there. The folks who want to listen to music seamlessly, effortlessly, with beautiful looks and a clutter-free presentation, and with high-quality sound on top of it, is likely as large at the HD TV market.

It's the same type of market is there is for the digital camera: the no. 1 requirement for everyone, regardless of their level of involvement, is image quality. But, the vast majority of those digital camera owners do not consider themselves "photographers" (much less PRO photographers), they just want to take pictures that are properly exposed, in-focus, and have high image quality (ie., look realistic).

Last edited by Puma Cat; 01-11-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:12 PM

The Xeo is not for everyone. It is for people who want "good" sound wherein setting it up would be easy. But of course, price will always be a consideration to all. The Xeo maybe for Tom, Dick, and Harry but not for Joe, Larry, and Curly
Old 01-11-2012, 08:37 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Here's another press release by the CEO of Dynaudio....note that he specifically addresses the NON-audiophile market:

According to Dynaudio founder and CEO Wilfried Ehrenholz, "Xeo is Dynaudio's answer to an ever changing marketplace. This new product range exists as there has been a drastic shift in how customers are listening to music. Of course, audiophiles will always be driven by performance and absolute sound quality, but there are also customers who may not even know the audiophile market exists but are interested in quality product design, innovative technology, and better convenience in audio products."

Sums it up pretty clearly which customer segment this product line is intended for....and it's not the audiophile market segment.