AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Tape Machines

Tape Machines Everything Analog

Old 05-02-2014, 04:37 AM
Scottsmrnyc

Default DIY High End Audiophile Reel to Reel Recordings for personal use.

Okay, I think I have all of the equipment I might need to try and create my own DIY high end audiophile recordings. I have some of my own cds, of which I own the copyrights to. I have a Tascam ATR 80- two inch reel to reel machine, I have a Tascam ATR 60 reel to reel one inch machine, I have a basic mixing board and a PC Laptop running Sonar Cakewalk Producer. Would anyone like to give me some advice as to how to make a DIY high end audiophile reel to reel recorded tape of my music. Perhaps there are a couple of books I should read. I already have a subscription to Recording magazine. Any advice will be great. I will give myself one month from the start of this project to it's finish. I should begin this process this June or July. Perhaps this could be a collaborative effect with a couple of other AA members. Pizza is on me if anyone is interested.
McIntosh-MC1.2KWs(4), MC501(1), MX135(2),MT10(2), MVP881BR(1),MEN220(2), Stax SRM007t(1), Stax SRM007ta(1),Stax SRA12S (2), Stax SRDXPro(3), Stax 4070(3), Stax Sigma Pros(2), Stax Sigma Non Pros (4), Headroom Balanced Max Loaded (1), Wadia Ipod Docking Station (3), Cerwin Vega D9s(4), Cerwin Vega CMX 212s (4), Adona Corporation Signature Component Stands (2), Adona Reference Amplifier Stands (4). Sony 70 Inch BR 1080p, AntiCable Speaker Cables (8), PS Audio PPP (2), PS Audio Power Cords(11), Teac 3340s(2), PS Audio Power Plant Premiers(2),Audio Research PH1(1), Sennheiser HD650(1), Sennheiser HD600 (1) Sennheiser HD580(1) Koss Pro4AA(1), Koss Quadraphones(4), Koss Phase2 (1) Koss 5Q(2), Headroom Micro Headphone Portable Amp(2)HP Pavilion Dv7, Ipad2, Tascam ATR 60, Tascam ATR 80.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:25 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Scott.......What is your source? Will you be recording yourself? Will there be other musicians involved? Do you have an assortment of high quality microphones and decent stands? Does your mixer have good quality microphone preamps with phantom power available? Does your mixer provide a multichannel digital output (Firewire or USB) or is it analog two channel output only? Cakewalk is great digital recording software but there is a serious learning curve to be able to take full advantage of its capabilities. You will need a way to digitize your analog inputs to make use of any digital recording software.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 08-04-2014, 06:05 AM
Scottsmrnyc

WOW- It's been a while since I have posted my original post; I do not have all the things you have listed and I now understand how much more effort I have to put into this venture in order to get some good quality tapes. Actually, I thought I would copy for personal use some of my most favorite albums/CDs. Perhaps about fifty of them in total over the years. I do have Cakewalk Producer. What I thought I would do is record the cds onto my Cakewalk Producer program and try and inhance the quality of it. Then save it to the Cakewalk Producer program and then send it off to one of my reel to reel machines. I also control the copyrights to a number of my own musical works that I would like to make reel to reel copies of. Sorry for the long delay in my response. I now have heard those custom made expensive tapes at a number of audio shows; I find them to be only a slight improvement in sound quality; additionally it is dubious if the improvement is a matter of take or whether it is because of superior speakers, cables or amps. I picked up some old Maxell tapes that had music already recorded on it. Prior to erasing them; I decided to play them to see what was on them. A couple of the tapes had really good classical music that sounded exquisite; perhaps even substantially better than anything I have heard with those high end prerecorded tapes. So this is my goal. I thank you for your input and I will try some of your ideas soon.
McIntosh-MC1.2KWs(4), MC501(1), MX135(2),MT10(2), MVP881BR(1),MEN220(2), Stax SRM007t(1), Stax SRM007ta(1),Stax SRA12S (2), Stax SRDXPro(3), Stax 4070(3), Stax Sigma Pros(2), Stax Sigma Non Pros (4), Headroom Balanced Max Loaded (1), Wadia Ipod Docking Station (3), Cerwin Vega D9s(4), Cerwin Vega CMX 212s (4), Adona Corporation Signature Component Stands (2), Adona Reference Amplifier Stands (4). Sony 70 Inch BR 1080p, AntiCable Speaker Cables (8), PS Audio PPP (2), PS Audio Power Cords(11), Teac 3340s(2), PS Audio Power Plant Premiers(2),Audio Research PH1(1), Sennheiser HD650(1), Sennheiser HD600 (1) Sennheiser HD580(1) Koss Pro4AA(1), Koss Quadraphones(4), Koss Phase2 (1) Koss 5Q(2), Headroom Micro Headphone Portable Amp(2)HP Pavilion Dv7, Ipad2, Tascam ATR 60, Tascam ATR 80.