AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 03-12-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
What speakers are you considering? And on the Mytec, maybe it is trying to do too much; too much like a swiss army knife, D/A converter, headphone pre-amp and MQA. I don't know.
Focal Sopra No2. I canceled the order the headphones that were coming. I just don't like listening to headphones all the time, and I use headphones when I play my (electronic) drums. Enough is enough.

So I may pass on the Mytek. Still no April Stereophile in today's mail. Where do you live? This isn't the first time this has happened.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post
Focal Sopra No2. Where do you live? This isn't the first time this has happened.
Nice! I live in New Bern, NC.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:55 PM

Got my April issue. That article on the Mytek was by John Iverson, the MQA one was by Kal.

I cancelled the Brooklyn, but it may still be on it's way. I'll just return it. decided against doing serious headphone listening, so I'll just keep my old ones and use them when I'm playing my electronic drum kit. so my wife doesn't kill me. For straight music I'll stick with listening to new speakers, and whatever else I get. (Already ordered a pair of JL Fathom 112s from Ivan--Thanks Ivan!

If I decide I want MQA, and a separate DAC, I'll go up a notch--maybe a Mytek Manhattan.

Meanwhile, I drove all the way to Phoenix to audition the Sopra No2s at Dedicated Audio in Scottsdage--Great little family run business. I listened to them through all Bryston gear BDP2 (3?), BDA3, 4B3 amp. Killer set-up. If my 9B2 doesn't cut it I'll get a 4B3 from Ivan. Oh yeah, I ordered a pair of the Sopras and brought home a Sopra center channel which they had in stock.

I know you're not interested in MQA, Gbaby, but you should watch this video. It talks about the lossy aspects of ALL audio formats, from tape to vinyl, to CD. to hi rez streaming. (The issues MQA tries to address.) It's only 14 minutes, and very informative. I read the stuff you recommende, you should watch this...

Last edited by moonhawk; 03-17-2018 at 05:59 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:06 AM

Dave, you forgot to link the video.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
Dave, you forgot to link the video.
Oops! Sorry about that. Here you go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NHu...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-18-2018, 12:26 AM

I did see it from another thread. Since I found out MQA is incompatible with current digital processing and supports DRM, I don't think its in our best interest to support its very limited usefulness vs. its ability to seriously limit the use of music software on our end as consumers. We trusted Trump and didn't compel him to reveal his taxes; now looks whats coming out. None of us should want MQA to succeed.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:44 AM

I could care less about his taxes. Most if not all of "what's coming out" is pure made-up baloney.

As far as MQA goes--and a bit more on topic--to each his own. I share your concerns about the monopoly aspects, and the difficulty it creates in compatibility with other DSP products.

But I just want to stream the highest quality music my crappy internet will allow. And MQA is what will let me do that.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:

But I just want to stream the highest quality music my crappy internet will allow. And MQA is what will let me do that.

If you are in no rush to buy an MQA DAC, you may want to keep an eye on the Oppo 205 Player. I read on another site that Oppo may make it able to decode Tidal MQA. The 205 is Roon ready and its DAC (in my opinion) sounds better than that in the SP3. And it also has a headphone output.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
If you are in no rush to buy an MQA DAC, you may want to keep an eye on the Oppo 205 Player. I read on another site that Oppo may make it able to decode Tidal MQA. The 205 is Roon ready and its DAC (in my opinion) sounds better than that in the SP3. And it also has a headphone output.
Interesting you should say that. I auditioned a pair of Magico S3s a couple of weeks ago, and the guy, who had all sorts of high end gear, including a really nice aurender server/DAC, was using a 205. He said it was the best sounding DAC he had. It sounded good to me, for sure.

I have an Oppo 103 now, and have figured at some point I'll be stepping up to a 4K player and TV. That means a 205 would kill two birds with one stone. Wonder how it compares to my BDP1?

Thanks!!
Old 03-18-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:

I have an Oppo 103 now, and have figured at some point I'll be stepping up to a 4K player and TV. That means a 205 would kill two birds with one stone. Wonder how it compares to my BDP1?

Thanks!!

You might be able to purchase the 205 from a place that offers 30 returns. Then you can try it out in your system.

Btw, the Oppo 103 and 105 can be used to rip SACDs. I have the 105 as well and decided to keep it for that reason. Something to think about in case you upgrade to the 205.