AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 08-20-2016, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteban View Post
...reports on the dangers of asbestos have been greatly exaggerated...Do you think the danger could be genuine and serious?
I think you're right. I'm by no means an expert, so take it for what it's worth, but a remodeling contractor told me a few years ago that a popcorn ceiling doesn't have that much asbestos in it, and it's not a danger as long as it stays intact. Paint should effectively seal it, and asbestos dust will only be released if it's damaged, scraped, etc. The biggest issue will be if you remove it - then you create lots of airborne fibers and create a potentially more serious risk. So if you opt to have it removed, you should have it professionally done. Back in the 80s I was responsible for an old New England textile mill and we had asbestos insulation on water and heating pipes. Some we had to have the insulation removed, but others the contractor deemed easier and safer to seal them situ with I-don't-remember-what.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 08-20-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
I think you're right. I'm by no means an expert, so take it for what it's worth, but a remodeling contractor told me a few years ago that a popcorn ceiling doesn't have that much asbestos in it, and it's not a danger as long as it stays intact. Paint should effectively seal it, and asbestos dust will only be released if it's damaged, scraped, etc. The biggest issue will be if you remove it - then you create lots of airborne fibers and create a potentially more serious risk. So if you opt to have it removed, you should have it professionally done. Back in the 80s I was responsible for an old New England textile mill and we had asbestos insulation on water and heating pipes. Some we had to have the insulation removed, but others the contractor deemed easier and safer to seal them situ with I-don't-rememebr-what.
I have heard similar stories, and what you say does make sense: ie: if left undisturbed, there should be no reason for the particles to disperse, and the popcorn coating is supposedly covering them. I am sure more than one lawyer made a very lucrative career trying to instill fear in folks, and part of the myths and legends probably originate from that... We do have a few friends of the family who are contractors and have their own re-modelling business. I'll make sure to ask them about this and see what the bottom line is. Thanks for your feedback!
Old 02-04-2017, 11:48 PM

Smile Upgrade from SE to Stradivari?

Have an opportunity to upgrade to a brand new Stradivari from Elipsa SE, with top up of $11,000 for my HT System.
Anyone has experience on these 2 speakers in a HT setup?
Thank you for sharing
Old 02-04-2017, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post
Have an opportunity to upgrade to a brand new Stradivari from Elipsa SE, with top up of $11,000 for my HT System.
Anyone has experience on these 2 speakers in a HT setup?
Thank you for sharing
I would do that deal in a heart beat. Which dealer ?
Old 02-05-2017, 12:36 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
I would do that deal in a heart beat. Which dealer ?
It is a bundle deal as I ordered other components, hence the local dealer (Asia) give me a special deal if I am interested. The factory is no longer produce the Stradivari, he also will like to clear stock
The head tells me Elipsa SE is sufficient for the HT set up, but the heart
feels that it is nice to have the Stradivari (classic red finish) ...
Any advice from anyone who uses Stradivari for the HT set up?
Thank you for sharing!
Old 02-05-2017, 05:37 AM

Go for the Strad if you can afford and never look back. It's one of the most iconic speaker ever produced.

I'd love to be able to get a pair myself.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:59 PM

I recently sold my Olympica IIIs and want to stay in the Sonus Faber line but want to upgrade. Would the Elipsa SE be considered an upgrade or more of a sideways move? Not sure since the Olympica is a newer speaker while the Elipsa SEs are an older design and have an entirely different cabinet shape. So much has changed in the SOnus Faber line over the years, so not sure what to make of the decision.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I recently sold my Olympica IIIs and want to stay in the Sonus Faber line but want to upgrade. Would the Elipsa SE be considered an upgrade or more of a sideways move? Not sure since the Olympica is a newer speaker while the Elipsa SEs are an older design and have an entirely different cabinet shape. So much has changed in the SOnus Faber line over the years, so not sure what to make of the decision.
Short answer: go for the Elipsa. Apples and oranges, but I know I would.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
The Elipsa is a way better speaker than the Olympica. Newer isn't better always. Many older instruments such as violins hundreds of years old sound better than the new ones.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
Newer isn't better always.
+1.