AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 03-17-2018, 03:49 PM

Default Tweaking, tweaking the MC152

First, I want to apologize for many of my recent posts, but it is the only way I will learn. In 2 previous posts, I asked about changing the speakers to the 4 ohm taps, and weather a more powerful amp than the MC152 would give me what I am looking for.

Today, I did try the 4 ohm taps and my findings are the sound is smoother and has better treble integration on my Golden Ear Triton Reference speakers. The bass is a little less, but my Triton References have a level control on the back of the speaker so that isn't a big deal (right now). I plan on living with this configuration for a few days to sort things out and see if the excitement wears off.

Now my BIG question/observation: I noticed I need to raise the volume control much higher to get the same levels I was getting before. I am running a McIntosh C2500 preamp and before changing to 4 ohms, my normal level was around 30 on the volume control. Now I need to raise it to 40 for the same level. Is this normal when going from 8 to 4 ohms, or should I go back to the 8 ohm setting? I am hoping you Mac experts can shed some light on this for me.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:58 PM

Yes, having to increase the volume when you switch from 8 ohm to 4 ohm taps is totally normal and expected. No worries!
Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 03-18-2018, 03:18 PM

I thought as much. I have been listening to my system with this configuration all day and I must say that the musicality is much better, the mids and highs no longer sound muddy, but I did note some splashiness in some of the extreme highs on one of my cd's (Audio Fidelity SACD "The Cars"). However, everything else I listened to was right on the mark. I did have to raise the level of the woofers about 2db on my GE Triton References speakers, but overall, I am pleased. Further tweaking may be in the future on the woofer level controls.

When I ran the speakers off the 8 ohm taps, I never heard the splashiness in the extreme treble on that particular cd, is this a result of the 4 ohm tap and does that mean I should go back to the 8 ohm setting?
Old 03-18-2018, 04:23 PM

Not sure why the HF 'splashing' is occurring in one tap and not the other.
I'd listen for several days and switch back to see which you like best over the long haul.
Also, I'd listen to a well recorded classical album with massed strings and see which tap is more realistic.
Good news is you can run either tap indefinitely without worries or issues.
Tom
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 03-18-2018, 07:50 PM

I played the SACD in my secondary system which includes a McIntosh MA6600 integrated, a MCD301 SACD player and Golden Ear Triton One speakers. The splashiness is still there, so it is definitely on the cd and not from changing the impedance taps on my MC152. I feel much better now and I am really enjoying the system. I realized that since mid January when I bought the C2500 and MC152 that I wasn't listening to the system very much and now I know why. I still can't believe how just changing to the 4 ohm taps made a HUGE difference and the sound went from mediocre to fantastic.

I just saved myself a boatload of money as now there is no need for a bigger amp.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:38 PM

Great news! Glad that changing the taps was worth the effort.
McIntosh MC 2102 (Gold Lion), McIntosh C2300 (Gold Lion), McIntosh MR 78, Linn Majik DS, Linn LP 12 (Afromosia Plinth, Karousel, Kore Sub-Chasis, Trampoline Two, Lingo 3, Akito 3b, T-Kable, Ortofon LV 250 Black), Dynaudio Special 40 Speakers, Woo Audio WA6-SE Headphone Amplifier, Audeze LCD-2 Headphones, Shunyata Hydra AV
Old 03-19-2018, 03:00 PM

I just re-read the test report in Stereophile on my GE Triton Reference, and John Atkinson concluded by his measurements as well as listening that the speakers need an amp that can do 4 ohm loads effortlessly and he measured the speaker sensitivity at 92.5db. I just can't believe the difference I am hearing on the 4 ohm taps and his report seems to really justify my using the 4 ohm taps. MY wife who is a non audiophile and who rarely pays any attention to the stereo asked me last night if I bought more equipment because the system sounds much different.

I tried to explain to her what I did and I got a "whatever" from her. She noticed though so I was pretty happy about that. When I asked her if she liked the new sound, I got an "I don't know" from her. Whatever. On the GE forum, I read that Sandy Gross, the designer of the GE Triton Reference, uses the 4 ohm taps on his Line Magnetic amp which was one of the amps used to voice the speakers.

Last edited by stereo_5; 03-19-2018 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:12 PM

Glad you are enjoying your system!
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears

Lake House:

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 03-31-2018, 06:42 PM

This is normal. The 4 ohm tap produces 1/2 the voltage as the 8 ohm tap. 1/2 voltage = 3db less level. Not a problem!
Old 03-31-2018, 06:45 PM

BTW I use the MCD550 SACD Player connected directly to my MC152 amp driving Triton Ones. Sounds incredible! No preamp needed. “Less is More”!