AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Classe' Audio

Classe' Audio Uncompromising Audio

Old 11-04-2016, 05:36 PM

Classe started using fans for their custom install series (originally all Canadian) to deal with the typical stuffed rack mount situation. The discovered that properly implemented the fan resulted in both a quicker warmup to sounding good and better sound overall.

The quick warmup is no surprise, but the overall improvement takes a little bit of thinking to understand. Both passive and active electronic components have properties that vary with temperature, and for all that you can create designs with temperature compensation it is always better to have less variation in the first place. Here is Classe's explanation of how their fan system improves temperature stability.

"We believe we have designed the quietest fan-cooled design available. CT amplifiers are designed to be installed in a rack and have a unique heat management system, the ICTunnel. The original plan for our new Delta series amplifiers was to have a traditional heatsink, such as those on the original Delta series amplifiers. However we realized that the ICTunnel has significant sonic benefits in that it ensures that the amplifiers rapidly reach their ideal optimal operating temperature and then remain at that temperature regardless how hard they are driven. A traditional passive heatsink simply does not have this control. It heats up slowly during operation (the “warm up” period) and then just keeps on heating up to some temperature that is based on the environment and load. Unlike the ICTunnel, passive heatsinks have no way to ensure the electronics are in the perfect operational environment. In fact the passive heatsink’s only real job is to prevent the amplifier overheating and self destructing.

The ICTunnel has 4 temperature sensors that report to a microprocessor monitoring the overall temperature. This microprocessor adjusts the fan speed to keep the electronics at a constant temperature. The design is so efficient that the fan merely stirs the air when it is operational and it is certainly not a concern in terms of listening. Any concerns about the presence of the fan are allayed the moment you actually experience the product, so we encourage you to audition the amplifiers to not hear the fan for yourself."
Old 11-05-2016, 05:01 PM

I believe that temperature stability is a good thing. In this case, when I couldn't hear the fan, I loved the amp. When the room got a little warmer and I could hear the fan, it was an irritant.

Mechanical noise is the bane of audio, IMO. I am waiting for the day someone invents silent fans -- and silent refrigerators.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:20 PM

Does anyone know the power rating of these new amps?

I read in British hi-fi magazine that they are 350 Watts? Is this true?
Old 11-27-2016, 10:27 AM

Default New deltas are coming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertone View Post
Does anyone know the power rating of these new amps?

I read in British hi-fi magazine that they are 350 Watts? Is this true?

It is true but from what I remember they are designed to provide full power at 4 and 2 ohm and also they can run in full class A mode up to 30W or 40W.

They are also much better than or let's say a nice improvememnt to the current 600W monoblock.

Last edited by silversurfer6; 11-28-2016 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:27 PM

New Classe Delta 3 at CES...

http://www.stereophile.com/content/d...5wKCFAaJMce.97
B&W 802 D3 | McIntosh C500T | McIntosh MC601 | McIntosh MEN220 | McIntosh MPC500 | Oppo BDP-105 | AQ Fire XLRs | AQ NRG-1000 Power Cords | AQ Diamond Ethernet Cables | Straightwire Virtuoso H speaker cables
Old 01-11-2017, 05:25 PM

Meters!!! Very cool
Wilson Audio Alexia + Mezzo | Dan D'Agostino Momentum PRE & S250 | Esoteric P02x & D02x | Torus AVR2-16 | Marantz AV8805 | Panasonic UB9000 | Bryston 7B3 & 9BSST2 | ScreenTechnics 125" 2.37 Screen | JVC X7900 | Krix A20 (4) | JL Audio F113 (2)
Old 01-19-2017, 06:09 AM

Does anyone know which Delta Amps will be available by mid 2017...I only read about mono and stereo but will there also be a 3 or 5 channel version ?
Old 01-19-2017, 04:50 PM

I hope not! I hope they stick with the stereo and mono amps and a stereo pre. A full delta series 3 surround system would be enticing and cost more than the GDP of some small countries!
Old 01-19-2017, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaliKid2013 View Post
Hurricane louvers!! Very cool....for Florida keys.....
Old 01-19-2017, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-48 View Post
....I am waiting for the day someone invents silent fans -- and silent refrigerators.

late to the party -- I'd appreciate a silent wife. The one from a few years ago...