AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Manley Labs

Manley Labs Professional High-Fi Audio Gear

Old 12-21-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Kevin.......I operate my Ortofon Cadenza Black through the moving coil phono stage of the C1000C/P solid state preamplifier. It is superior to the C1000C/T tube preamplifier phono stage that I also had, and is more open, dynamic, and quiet than either the C1000C/T or my C2300 moving coil phono stages. In a word, it is exceptional. I have tried the 25, 50, 100, and 200 ohm resistance setting with my Cadenza Black and ultimately settled on 100 ohms as being the best sounding setting.
Hey gents, how important is the needle choice and is there a ratio dollars to sound? I'm told I have the same cartridge used on the MT10 but have no idea if my system would benefit from an upgrade.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:35 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaudio68 View Post
Hey gents, how important is the needle choice and is there a ratio dollars to sound? I'm told I have the same cartridge used on the MT10 but have no idea if my system would benefit from an upgrade.
Jeremy.......This is a complete topic that would be better served with a new thread. Why not begin a new thread: How important is a phono cartridge choice? I think the separate thread topic will provide you with more answers.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 12-21-2015, 08:51 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner View Post
I just placed my order for a Chinook and am looking forward to the experience of what post-C2300 phone pre will be like. I was always satisfied with the McIntosh phono stage but have also been curious what an outboard stage could reveal. My cartridge is an Ortofon Cadenza Black. I will start the resistance at 100 ohms and listen from there. Any other Cadenza Black owners care to share their phono stage setting?
Use the Cadenza predecessor, the Kontrapunkt-b, with my Cary phono-preamp. Was going to go with the Chinook, but the fact that it has only a single set of inputs meant switching cables to go back and forth between the MM TT & MC TT, which only needs a flip of the switch with the Cary. EveAnna Manley was happy to provide the schematic and info on where to make the connections if I wanted to add a second set of inputs and a switch. Certainly a great 'before sale' service offer, but decided to go with the Cary to match the SLI-80. Am also using 100 ohm loading. The flexible load settings and the quad of 6922s of the Chinook almost sold me on it. Should be a great choice. Will guess that you will be pleased with what you hear. Please keep us posted. Some great 6922s out there to roll in.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 12-21-2015, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Jeremy.......This is a complete topic that would be better served with a new thread. Why not begin a new thread: How important is a phono cartridge choice? I think the separate thread topic will provide you with more answers.
Oops. You are right. Sorry gents!
Old 12-22-2015, 04:06 PM

The Chinook version I got from Upscale Audio is the SE version - a black face and upgraded, cryoed tubes. Philips PCC88s are the matched tubes in the SE version.
Old 12-31-2015, 05:16 PM

My oh my - the sound stage has widened quite nicely. And the Chinook is far from broken in. I am now listening to King Crimson and it is a new experience. The Mc phono stage is very nice but I am now convinced I can better it within my budget. This is also after recalibration of my cartridge using Feickert gauge and Fozgometer, too. It has been a joyous Christmas.
Old 03-03-2021, 02:54 PM
Music Non-Stop...

Love mine.
Old 08-24-2022, 08:45 PM

Is it possible to upgrade an pervious model Chinook to the new version with the higher 65db gain option for MC?
Old 08-24-2022, 11:14 PM
Retired

My experience with Manley is that they are very responsive to inquiries about their gear. Use the "Contact" form on their website.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 08-25-2022, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
My experience with Manley is that they are very responsive to inquiries about their gear. Use the "Contact" form on their website.
I'll reach out and follow up, was not sure if they read this forum.