AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Manley Labs

Manley Labs Professional High-Fi Audio Gear

Old 04-29-2014, 06:48 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinaMoe View Post
Thanks for the help everyone!
I really like the Chinook, have had a lot of fun listening to it so far, I think you'll be pretty pleased. Are you going to try any different tubes in it? I asked Kevin at Upscale Audio about it and he told me that all of his customers have been so happy with the stock tubes that they haven't done any rolling.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 04-29-2014, 07:42 PM
Music Lover!

The stock tubes are ok, put some Amperex 7308s in there and it will be a night and day experience.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:18 AM

I've been aware of tube rolling for many years now but never had a piece of tube equipment to actually get my hands dirty with. And now that I have something on the way, I have been doing more serious research on the subject.

My thoughts are pretty simple; Manley designed and tested this phono stage with these particular tubes. I'll live with that for a while until the inevitable bug hits me at which point I'll narrow down which set of 7308s would best suite me.

I'm pretty excited about this new addition. :-)
Old 05-05-2014, 04:10 PM

My chinook started letting out random very loud pops, wating to her from manley service, anyone else hear of this?
Old 05-05-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinbje View Post
My chinook started letting out random very loud pops, wating to her from manley service, anyone else hear of this?
Generally with tube amps, loud pops are indicative of a small-signal tube going bad (VERY bad). Had that happen to me with some old 12BH7 tubes in a Heathkit W5 amp. I'd replace the tubes immediately.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:33 PM

Thats exactly what I thought. Tried 3 sets, still pops, swapped in SS no pops. Think it may be something other than the tubes.

Jeff
Old 05-05-2014, 05:54 PM

Hope you can get me going in the correct direction. Kind of new to the "real" world of vinyl (you know MC, MM loading ((loading what? ))some type of fish thingy(Chinook) ??? phono stage etc>

I like to play vinyl for all the reasons you folks do. But I'm at a loss with all the stuff mentioned above. Right now I have a semi low level system --- MC2300, VPI classic 1, WW silver ICs and a Ortofhon 2MM black cart. Do I need to upgrade all my stuff just to get more juice out of the records or can I upgrade a thing or two. Or am I at a good level now with the gear I have????
Thanks Ed
2 Channel - Esoteric KO3, VPI Classic, C2300, MS300, MEN220, Bryston 7b SST, B&W 802D, JL F113 (2), MDA 1000, Olive 4HD, Sonos w/Remedy, WW Silver Eclipse ICs , Stillpoints Ultra mini, MR85 tuner, Aurender A10 server

Headphone listening
- Audeze LCD3 with Moon Audio Black Dragon Balanced cables, Sennheiser HD650, WW silver Eclipse Nano cable, Bryston BHA-1 amp

HT -
MX135, OPPO 103D, B&W CDM7, B&W center, Sony 65" LCD
Old 05-05-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Thats exactly what I thought. Tried 3 sets, still pops, swapped in SS no pops. Think it may be something other than the tubes.

Jeff
Now that I think about it, I've also had loud pops indicate output capacitors failing, or about to fail (in a tube headphone amp). In my case it was caused by a flawed circuit design (more voltage on the caps than they were rated to handle), which certainly won't be the case with your Manley -- but a bad cap is certainly a possibility.

Either way, Manley should be able to shed light on this. Hope you get a quick resolution!
Old 05-06-2014, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Had a similar problem but it was the power supply. Manly came back with "We have seen a few failures of the power supply diodes (1N4000 series)." This was the problem with mine. Don't let it go on as it blew my Transformer and so the cost of repair went UP seeing I had to get it into AUS through the aus distributor that has now dumped Manly thanks goodness & we now have a good supportive distributor.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bung99 View Post
Had a similar problem but it was the power supply. Manly came back with "We have seen a few failures of the power supply diodes (1N4000 series)." This was the problem with mine. Don't let it go on as it blew my Transformer and so the cost of repair went UP seeing I had to get it into AUS through the aus distributor that has now dumped Manly thanks goodness & we now have a good supportive distributor.
Manley states they have heard of this and advised me to send it in. I bought a Lamm lp2 deluxe yesterday