AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Manley Labs

Manley Labs Professional High-Fi Audio Gear

Old 10-21-2012, 12:51 PM

Any other users of this pre? Since I'm down to a headphone setup for now I need a dedicated phono pre for my analog setup.

The Chinook, K&K maxxed, Parasound JC-3 and Herron VTPH-2 Are on the top of my list.

I also saw a Plinius Koru come up on Audiogon that looked intriguing but couldn't find anything online about it.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhesiv View Post

I also saw a Plinius Koru come up on Audiogon that looked intriguing but couldn't find anything online about it.
As a subscriber to What-Hi (and a few other UK audio mags) I recall they did a review on it a few years back – gave it a 5 star rating (not hugely common for What-Hi) and really raved about it – I seem to recall they did mention it was not hugely forgiving and you needed a fairly top end vinyl setup to get the most out of it however if you did have the system they essentially implied you could do no wrong with it.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:50 PM

Default Worth trying Genalex E88CC

Hi
Just wondering how the Genalex E88CC/6922 valves would be in the Chinook. I had good results with Genalex in my McIntosh cC220 over their standard valves but I understand the 6922EH in the Manley are very good to start with so at about $50 each here in Aus it is not cheep to test.
I am not unhappy with what I hear now but just wonder if for $200 I can get an improvement that I can hear.

Any advice please?

Thanks
Old 10-31-2012, 09:39 PM
Music Lover!

I do not have alot of experience with phono stages in general, but for the money the Chinook is very hard to beat.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bung99 View Post
Hi
Just wondering how the Genalex E88CC/6922 valves would be in the Chinook. I had good results with Genalex in my McIntosh cC220 over their standard valves but I understand the 6922EH in the Manley are very good to start with so at about $50 each here in Aus it is not cheep to test.
I am not unhappy with what I hear now but just wonder if for $200 I can get an improvement that I can hear.

Any advice please?

Thanks
I never heard a Chinook, i did have the Steelhead for about 6 years and rolled alot of tubes in it. To the extent the circuits are comparable, the best sounding 6922 in the Steelhead was a NOS Tele. You have to buy those from a reliable source, though, and they aren't cheap. I don't know what tube is in the other slots on the Chinook- in the Steelhead, it was a 7044, and there I found NOS Raytheons to do well, not terribly pricey, but those should be replaced periodically. I can do a little more research if this is unclear.
At least in the case of the Steelhead, tube rolling make a big difference in the sound of the unit. The stock tubes that came with the unit did not let you hear what the unit is capable of.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Music Lover!

That is what is so AWESOME about tube amps, preamps, phonostage's.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bung99 View Post
Hi

Any advice please?

Thanks
Different but not necessarily better......
Old 12-06-2012, 05:01 AM
Retired

Ran some JAN Sylvania 6922s in a BAK VK-30 and was quite pleased with them. If I was rolling tubes in a Chinnook think I would start there. Seem to be about the same price as reissue Genalex.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 05-13-2013, 01:28 AM

The Power supply has packed it in after 6mths in my service. I got mine second hand as it was traded in for another valve amp to a dealer so here in Aus NO Warranty that is a shit. The Main transformer started to short then went completely.
Not happy now with Manley.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:06 AM

An Expensive main transformer $500 all up & that includes a $100 freight for the transformer from Manley to the AUS distributor/agent. Thanks Manley.