AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Martin Logan

Martin Logan Panel Speakers Extraordinare

Old 07-24-2017, 09:29 AM

You want to hear a funny story? I was in Dallas for the weekend and went to a Magnolia store hoping to hear the ML 15A but the largest they had was the 13A like you just purchased. The salesman I spoke to was telling about his customer with new 13A's from Louisiana and how he might be going over to help setup these speakers and the ARC tuning. What a small world it is!!!

I own a pair of Summit X's which I also bought at a Magnolia store 3 1/2 years ago. If you would like we can speak via email or phone sometime and I can offer a lot of advice for getting the most out of these speakers. To be honest I was amazed at the sound of the 13A in their store which was driven by a Arcam receiver vs my speakers with my McIntosh system. The 13A has some serious potential for greatness.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:24 AM

Small world indeed!!! Was the salesman Mitchell? he's been the main guy I've used over the past 2 years with stuff. Its the Park Lane location. Right by Northpark Mall.

Yes would love to share info with you and would be grateful for any insight you can offer...

Thx!

timothybglover@icloud.com (I'll send you my contact info)
Old 07-24-2017, 11:13 AM

Yes indeed it was Mitchell. I will be in touch.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:26 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Tim.......One issue that immediately jumps out at me is the left channel woofer is almost completely blocked from the sweet spot by the couch. It is most likely acting as an absorption panel to some degree and is certainly altering the low frequency wave launch. You commented that this particular arrangement is how it had to be in this room and I understand architectural restrictions often dictate speaker locations. Still, something needs to happen to get the speaker from behind that end of the couch, perhaps shifting the credenza and the speakers a foot or so to the right. Don't be afraid to move the speakers a bit closer to the back wall, perhaps as close as 12" to gain some low frequency reinforcement. You may want to try moving the couch down the wall another foot or so, and move your sweet spot chair closer to the wall behind it by the same distance. It will be a trial and error exercise. Don't be hasty with your adjustments. Spend some time listening after each change in speaker and/or furniture location is made.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 07-24-2017 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:55 PM

Excellent suggestions Dan. I can do that. I have room to push things back a bit. Thx!
Old 07-24-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Don't be afraid to move the speakers a bit closer to the back wall, perhaps as close as 12" to gain some low frequency reinforcement.
With all due respect Dan that is not a good idea. Logans, like all di-poles need room to breath. They always sound their best when 'out' from the wall, 4-6'

Tim, it's tough to tell from the pics but another area to address is the rake angle, try bringing them (incrementally) closer to vertical. This is in relationship to your seating position in your chair.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:20 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
With all due respect Dan that is not a good idea. Logans, like all di-poles need room to breath. They always sound their best when 'out' from the wall, 4-6'
Dave.......My experience with planar speakers is limited to dealer show rooms so I have little hands on experience with them. I was thinking more about the depth of the woofer cabinets only and how close to the wall they might be able to gain energy in the bass region. I hadn't considered that the panels radiate from the rear. Thanks for pointing that out.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 07-24-2017, 10:00 PM

Timobi,

Congrats on the Expressions! I'm thrilled with mine!

As Dave pointed out, ML's need to be AWAY from the front wall (ideally 3 or more feet, if possible). That keeps the rear sound wave from reflecting back and "smearing" the front/direct wave. For optimizing the bass, wait until you have a good 100+ hrs playing time, then run Anthem Room Correction. If you're still not happy, you can manually adjust the bass settings (and mid-bass toggle), or play around a bit more with speaker positioning... finding the best balance of soundstage depth and imaging (midrange and highs) vs. bass.

If still unhappy, I suggest measuring the speaker/room response with something like XTZ Room Analyzer, Omnimic, or REW. It's possible you could have a major bass null in your "sweet spot" (as I do) which might require rearranging the speakers in the room, and/or adding a sub (or two).

For more advice, hop on over to the ML Owners Forum and post your questions there... http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum

Last edited by sleepysurf; 07-24-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:03 PM

What if you place acoustic/diffusion padding on the wall behind the speakers? Would that help? I maybe in a similar position to need to do this.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:05 PM

Really appreciate all the suggestions. I did move my sofa back about a foot. Just shifted all the seating furniture down about a foot. I tried moving the speakers closer to the wall but thought the sound wasn't as immersive.

I got in another 10 hours of break in today while I was at work. I know this is a work in progress. And I know lots of rooms are far from perfect. When I see others pics I often say how are they pulling that off LOL. So there will be tradeoffs. I just want all the sonic glory of the ML's panels as well as getting the most and best bass I can get. Hahahah don't we all?