AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Harbeth Speakers

Harbeth Speakers World's best loved loudspeakers

Old 04-30-2014, 04:00 PM

Default The very best review of the Harbeth M40.1 speakers

....is in Tone Audio # 23, by my friend Jeff Dorgay.

After the few months I spent with these speakers, I just found this review and was very surprised at how it precisely describes the strengths of the Harbeth Monitor 40.1 speakers.
I usually find pro audio reviews a bit boring by using tons of "clichés". This review is a true exception. Jeff captured the essence of this awesome speakers better than any other reviewer. I agree to each and every word but especially when he describes the bass performance, opposing the Harbeths to overdamped speakers in the bass and explaining how real instruments are much closer to the Harbeth sound compared to those overdamped bass speakers. This is very precisely how I feel about the bass difference between the WP8 and the Harbeths. The Harbeths just kill the Wilsons when it comes to reveal the true timbre and presence of an acoustic bass sound. The Wilsons may sound more impressive on electric bass. But they are indeed less accurate than the Harbeths. In each every field of sound reproduction.

Listening to my Monitor 40.1 is a an ever amazing experience, opening each and every time, new horizons of musical bliss even for recordings that had no mysteries to me.
I just cannot find any shortcoming to their performance. They surely are not perfect. No speaker is. But they are the perfect speakers for my illness. They are the very first ones that really put me aside from looking at anything else. I just do not care now how the rest of the speakers sound. I AM CURED ! I just want to listen to music and does not care about the gear anymore.

The Monitor 40.1 will be my last speakers for my main system. I will die with them. Along with my Shindo and Verdier components. Now I can spend all my "music" dollars on recordings.
Who wants to bet ?
If you want to really understand why I felt so much in love, just read Jeff's review in Tone Audio.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Old 04-30-2014, 05:12 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Jérôme.......That was a very interesting review. The comment about the late night listening sessions drove it home for me. No wonder you are so happy with the Harbeth Monitor 40.1 speakers.

Download Tone Audio issue 23.

http://www.tonepublications.com/MAGPDF/TA_023.pdf

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 04-30-2014 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post
....is in Tone Audio # 23, by my friend Jeff Dorgay. After the few months I spent with these speakers, I just found this review and was very surprised at how it precisely describes the strengths of the Harbeth Monitor 40.1 speakers. I usually find pro audio reviews a bit boring by using tons of "clichés". This review is a true exception. Jeff captured the essence of this awesome speakers better than any other reviewer. I agree to each and every word but especially when he describes the bass performance, opposing the Harbeths to overdamped speakers in the bass and explaining how real instruments are much closer to the Harbeth sound compared to those overdamped bass speakers. This is very precisely how I feel about the bass difference between the WP8 and the Harbeths. The Harbeths just kill the Wilsons when it comes to reveal the true timbre and presence of an acoustic bass sound. The Wilsons may sound more impressive on electric bass. But they are indeed less accurate than the Harbeths. In each every field of sound reproduction. Listening to my Monitor 40.1 is a an ever amazing experience, opening each and every time, new horizons of musical bliss even for recordings that had no mysteries to me. I just cannot find any shortcoming to their performance. They surely are not perfect. No speaker is. But they are the perfect speakers for my illness. They are the very first ones that really put me aside from looking at anything else. I just do not care now how the rest of the speakers sound. I AM CURED ! I just want to listen to music and does not care about the gear anymore. The Monitor 40.1 will be my last speakers for my main system. I will die with them. Along with my Shindo and Verdier components. Now I can spend all my "music" dollars on recordings. Who wants to bet ? If you want to really understand why I felt so much in love, just read Jeff's review in Tone Audio. Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Thank you, Jerome W, for pointing out this review. I have wanted a pair of these speakers for as long as they have been available, I think. But I have never seen this review. Is Tonepub still a member here?
Avid Acutus SP, NO ARM, Benz Micro LP-S, Whest Audio PS.40RDT SE, PS Audio DSMP+DS DAC, Simaudio Moon 700i, Dali Epicon 6, Simaudio Moon Nēo 430HAD, HiFiMan HE-1000v2, Chord Sarum SA XLR, RCA, USB, Chord Sarum speaker, Nordost Vishnu power, Furutech plugs, PS Audio P10+Chord Sarum SA power, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Ultra Mini and LPI, HiFi Racks rack, Audio Desk Systeme PRO+Keith Monks Omni RCM
Old 04-30-2014, 11:20 PM

Jerome. I had my great time with the Harbeth M40.1,M30,SHL5 and C7ES3...They are superb speakers. I'm so happy for you . Enjoy the music not gears.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy
Jérôme.......That was a very interesting review. The comment about the late night listening sessions drove it home for me. No wonder you are so happy with the Harbeth Monitor 40.1 speakers.

Download Tone Audio issue 23.

http://www.tonepublications.com/MAGPDF/TA_023.pdf
Dan,

Thanks for the link.
You know I bought them blind just after Paul sold his PMC IB2i. He found the mids of the PMC's excellent but still inferior to the Harbeth ones. Better mids than PMC ???? This picked my curiosity big time and lucky me I found a demo pair of 40.1 which is very rare. New ones have a 6 months waiting list ! So I got a nice discount and I got them immediately !
What I got with the 40.1 was far from just "better mids than PMC". Their main other strength is to embrace the room with a huge sound and this feeling of huge sound and weight is here at low level. A very rare quality.
The accuracy of timbre and dynamics is expressed by Jeff perfectly. They are incredibly faithful monitors.
I do not listen very late any more because of the time I need to spend with my family. But without a family, I would not sleep a lot with those things in the house.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John49

Thank you, Jerome W, for pointing out this review. I have wanted a pair of these speakers for as long as they have been available, I think. But I have never seen this review. Is Tonepub still a member here?
Thanks John.
Unfortunately Jeff is no more a member.
He is very active on the FB page of Tone Audio if you want to communicate directly with him.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemcintosh
Jerome. I had my great time with the Harbeth M40.1,M30,SHL5 and C7ES3...They are superb speakers. I'm so happy for you . Enjoy the music not gears.
Thanks Paul !
You made me buy the 40.1 but you won't make me buy any other speaker ! I am married to life with the Harbeths !
Old 05-01-2014, 01:37 AM

Does anyone have any idea what these really sell for used? I see a pair of 40.1 in Tiger Stripe Ebony for sale local $8,500.00 ????

ARC REF6, ARC Ref PH 2SE, ARC Ref 150SE, Esot N-05, SF Oylimpia III, Garrard 301 Reed2p, WW Silver Eclipse 8, Kimber Kable Select IC XLR

C22, MC275, MR78, PS Audio Dac, Tannoy Daltons 12" Red's Tannoy ST200 Tweeters, Kimber IC's, Mac Mini, Transparent ULTRA Speaker.

Marantz 7C, Marantz, 9, & 10B Tuner, Tannoy 15" Red's in York Corner Cabinets

ARC Ref1, ARC VT 100II, MR74, Tannoy Red 12 LSU/12/8, Spider Transcription TT, Nordost Spk Cable

Fisher 400C, MR78, Fisher SA 1000, BenchMark Dac, Auditorium 23 Speaker Cables, Tannoy Supper Red 10" LSU/III/Z Monitors

ARC SP3, MC 30's, MR67, Devore Supper 8's, Wadia i171, MicroMega Dac, Transparent Supper Spk

C20, MC75's, MR71, MS300, Tannoy 12" Golds, Auditorium 23,

C11, (2)Harmon Kardon CitationII, Shindo Montille, MC2505, McIntosh 117, Audio Research ST70, Knight KB85, Pilot Sa 232, Marantz 8B

Scott 130 Preamp, Scott 272 Int, HH Scott 250's MR71 tuner, Tube Guru F2a Mono's,
Old 05-01-2014, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrest View Post
Does anyone have any idea what these really sell for used? I see a pair of 40.1 in Tiger Stripe Ebony for sale local $8,500.00 ????
That is excellent price for very rare finish. If its in local I would grab them without thinking twice. However my favorite still goes to Rosewood.

In regards to your question. It usually go for around anywhere between $7,500~ $ 9,000 used market and they are usually cherry finish. (Ebony and Rosewood are extra cost )

Hope this help
Old 05-01-2014, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post
Thanks Paul !
You made me buy the 40.1 but you won't make me buy any other speaker ! I am married to life with the Harbeths !
Hahaha... You're welcome. I am so happy for you. Well when your honey moon is over let me know I got one more speakers to introduce to you