AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > PS Audio

PS Audio Delivering the experience since 1974

Old 11-29-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4N6 View Post
May be a new FPGA code coming out soon to replace Huron, named "Redcloud". Said to fix some issues regarding noise at low volume levels, lower THD and a few other things. Reports from the field say that it will be another step up for an already terrific DAC.

It's Christmas!!!
Definitely a highlight of this DAC. The free upgrade path to improve the sound as well as keep it technically relevant is fantastic.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:42 AM

I wonder if it is actually humanly possible to further reduce jitter? Or maybe Ted the Jitterminator is not human after all.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EfeTe View Post
I wonder if it is actually humanly possible to further reduce jitter? Or maybe Ted the Jitterminator is not human after all.
I wonder if jitter is the new THD%? I remember the old receiver wars in the early 80's with .0000000000000001% THD. OK I am exaggerating but it sure seemed that way.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:39 PM

I know what you mean. Anyhow the great thing about these fee firmware updates is not just jitter, but several aspects are adressed in each iteration plus sometimes even new features added (some in conjunction with the Bridge II etc). I think overall they are great.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EfeTe View Post
I know what you mean. Anyhow the great thing about these fee firmware updates is not just jitter, but several aspects are adressed in each iteration plus sometimes even new features added (some in conjunction with the Bridge II etc). I think overall they are great.

They are a primary reason I went with the DS besides it sounding great!
Old 11-30-2017, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post
They are a primary reason I went with the DS besides it sounding great!

+1
Avid Acutus SP, NO ARM, Benz Micro LP-S, Whest Audio PS.40RDT SE, PS Audio DSMP+DS DAC, Simaudio Moon 700i, Dali Epicon 6, Simaudio Moon Nēo 430HAD, HiFiMan HE-1000v2, Chord Sarum SA XLR, RCA, USB, Chord Sarum speaker, Nordost Vishnu power, Furutech plugs, PS Audio P10+Chord Sarum SA power, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Ultra Mini and LPI, HiFi Racks rack, Audio Desk Systeme PRO+Keith Monks Omni RCM
Old 12-06-2017, 08:16 PM

Default Holy #$&%

Directly from Paul McGowan on the PS Audio website today:

I just left Music Room One after finishing round one of Red Cloud vs. Huron on DS. I had previously not listened to Ted’s work until the PIC code was finished (which he does not do). Matt, our director of engineering, has been slaving away at various improvements in the PIC code and finally, with Darren and I standing irritatingly close to him as we paced back and forth to get the 20 compiles he finally gave them to us.

Holy shit. No. Holy f*ck. Sorry. These last two words were what Darren and I said almost in synch within 10 seconds of the first chords of a simple Vivaldi piece we like. OMG. Ted had said this was big. We had no idea.

This isn’t big. This is…I don’t know what it is. The very first version blew us up. The added weight, perfection in tonal balance, clarity as the bow moves across the string, the rosin making it sound crisp. Noises we could almost hear in the background are now gone. Vanished.

I have to get back and finish DS. We’ve only listened to this one piece. But holy moly. This is going to be big.

Did someone mention waiting until Monday? You guys are nuts. We’ll launch this bad boy on Friday. Yours to enjoy over the weekend.

And the Bridge II code too.

All free. Yup. Merry Christmas guys. Now back to it.

I am trying not to get my hopes up, but this seems like the real deal. Nothing incremental here. Can't wait until Friday.
Bryston 28B Cubed Monoblock amps with Sound Anchor stands, Stillpoint Ultra SS, Bryston SP3 Processor, JL Audio CR-1 Sub Crossover, PS Audio P15 with Stillpoint Ultra SS, Bricasti M-21 Platinum DAC, PS Audio Perfectwave Transport, Aurender N10 music server/streamer with Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Nordstrom Heimdall 2 Ethernet cable and RevOpod footers, TAD CR-1(mains) with Stillpoint Ultra SS, Bryson 9B3 Surround Amplifier, Sonus Faber Cremona M (center), Diva Swans (surrounds), (2) JL Audio F113 subs with RevOpod footers and granite bases, Oppo 95, Wireworld Gold Eclipse speaker cables, Wireworld Platinum interconnects and Wireworld Silver and Platinum Electra 7 power cables, Furutech Flux 50 in-line power filters, (6) dedicated 20 amp circuits, Shunyata outlets, Nordost QRT QKORE3 and QKORE6 Grounding Units, ADD-Pwr Sorcer X4 and various GK Acoustics acoustic panels.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:21 PM

Well Well! Christmas apparently comes early for us good little boys and girls in the PS Audio club!
Old 12-07-2017, 03:42 PM

i have an issue where when I play an sacd in the memory player there is a static noise in the very beginning when i play the disc....only at the very beginning...when i called the tech person at ps audio he told me the next upgrade will deal with this known issue....so...i look forward to tomorrow and the new upgrrade
Old 12-08-2017, 03:11 PM

Redcloud is out!!!

http://www.psaudio.com/support/downloads/