AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 03-23-2014, 11:29 AM

If better sonic is what you are looking for, then ref 10 is the better option as it is significantly better than the ref 5SE. You get much more (clarity, transparency, speed, the list go on ...) from ref 10. When I upgraded from ref 150 to ref 250, I felt that I don't gain much, as ref 150 is already a very power amp. But when I upgraded my ref 5SE to ref 10, there is a significantly improve in the sound quality. Hope it helps.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:12 PM

I do not know if this helps you but I went from McIntosh C1000P / T and I do not regret it, though it was fun to have both SS and tubes in the preamp.

/ byZan
Old 03-23-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post
If better sonic is what you are looking for, then ref 10 is the better option as it is significantly better than the ref 5SE. You get much more (clarity, transparency, speed, the list go on ...) from ref 10. When I upgraded from ref 150 to ref 250, I felt that I don't gain much, as ref 150 is already a very power amp. But when I upgraded my ref 5SE to ref 10, there is a significantly improve in the sound quality. Hope it helps.
Thanks for that... Precisely what I was wanting to learn. When I upgraded from LS26 to Ref3, there was significant improvement. When I upgraded VS115 to Ref 110, I was really quite amazed at the level of improvement. I have heard it said the Ref3 --> Ref5 delta was less than the Ref5 --> 5SE , putting a big gap between the 5SE and the 3.

I also am convinced outboard power contributes (almost) always to big sonic improvements, so I expect the Ref10 to be better... But it is a sizable price delta as well.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:38 PM

I just saw your current system set up. As you are using ref 3 at the moment, I will suggest that maybe it is not a bad idea to get the ref 5SE first. To get the best out of the ref 10, I think you may need further upgrade from your other components. As you mentioned, "But it is a sizable price delta as well", so if I were you, I will definitely go for ref 5SE first and enjoy all the improvement you get out from it .....
Old 03-24-2014, 12:12 AM

Another potential option, of course, is to find a gently broken in Ref 40 (which has the huge white Teflon caps) -- a significant upgrade from the 5SE, at a significant savings compared to a new Ref 10.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Main: Wilson Alexia, D'Agostino M400 monoblocks, Ypsilon PST-100 Mk 2 preamp, Helix 1 turntable w/Lyra Etna SL cart and SAT tonearm, Ypsilon VPS-100, dCS Vivaldi DAC, Shunyata Triton v2 & Typhon, Shunyata Cyclops and power cords, Transparent Opus MM2 speaker cables and interconnects, Kubala-Sosna interconnects and power cords.

Family Room: Legacy Focus towers, sub, and surrounds, McIntosh MC452, McIntosh C2500, DHC-80.3, Parasound Halo A-51, Sony HAP-Z1ES, AppleTV, OPPO BDP-105D, Sonos, XBox One, XBox 360, Shunyata Triton.

Office: KEF LS-50, Decware Zen Mystery Amp, E.A.R. 868, Sony HAP-Z1ES, Sonos.

Library: B&W 805 Maserati, JL Audio Fathom f113 sub, twin MC275LE, McIntosh C2500, AMG Viella V12 w/Lyra Etna cart, Sony HAP-Z1ES, Sennheiser HDVD 800 headphone amp/DAC, Sennheiser HD800 cans.

Other: VPI Aries 3 w/Triplanar tonearm and Dynavector 17D3 cart, CTC Blowtorch, Vendetta Research SCP-2A, 2 MC30's, 3 MC240's, MC275 Mk V, MC275 Mk VI, 2 Bob Carver Black Beauties, EAR 890, EAR 324, Parasound Halo A21, Parasound Halo JC-1 monoblocks, Parasound Halo JC-3, Pioneer SX-1250, Pioneer SX-5590, Pioneer SX-1980, Thiel CS2.4 speakers.

A man's reach should exceed his grasp, else what's there a Heaven for?
Old 03-24-2014, 08:40 AM

Have you considered upgrading to the 5se and Ref150? I would guess this is about the same money, maybe less, and a bigger bang for the buck.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post
I just saw your current system set up. As you are using ref 3 at the moment, I will suggest that maybe it is not a bad idea to get the ref 5SE first. To get the best out of the ref 10, I think you may need further upgrade from your other components. As you mentioned, "But it is a sizable price delta as well", so if I were you, I will definitely go for ref 5SE first and enjoy all the improvement you get out from it .....
I used to upgrade from Ref 3 to Ref 10 while also considered to upgrade to Ref 5 SE, but finally two box Ref 10 weighed more on my decision. Right out of the box, the difference was night/day compared to my old Ref 3, no contest. But of course, with Ref 5 Se, I am sure I would be very happy.

Now I am waiting for Ref Phono 10 delivered in 2-3 weeks to replace Ref 2 SE. That would give a better feedback in terms of Ref 5 SE vs Ref 10 comparison.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:30 PM

I'd say go for it. Make Ref10 the foundation and building block of your system.
Upgrade the rest later, you will hear more clearly each and every future changes by having the better preamp.
Trading up is pain, do it once and let it stay! Well.. at least for longer.

Used to own the Ref3+REF600mkIII for a couple of years. And I agree that the Ref5SE is already way better.
So, depending on your planned upgrade path, it may well be all you need. Good luck.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:21 PM

All my gear was stolen when we moved from Seattle to Portland last December. Still waiting for the insurance check. Won't get into the details. On order already are my new Alexias. I already found a replacement for the Einstein Turntables's Choice phono-pre I lost in the move, so I'll really only have one piece of gear common to my old system. Fortunately I moved my AMG v12 turntable myself, so that wasn't stolen.

I am leaning heavily to Ref10 Pre, Ref150 amp. I'm an ARC junkie, so while I know the Ref5SE is supurb, the idea of owning ARC's best effort on a preamp is very, very tempting.

But, there is also going to be need to allow some budgeting for room treatments, which in my experience will easily be the price of a component. So that may just temper my lust for the Ref10.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:49 PM

So sorry to hear of your loss..
But looking on the bright side, at least it's covered and all coming back together soon for the better!
*Nothing worse than thoughts of 'what if' & 'Ref10' forever haunting your enjoyment...