AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc

MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc Ultra High End Equipment

Old 10-17-2011, 08:15 PM

Default D'Agostino Momentum's

I have been so busy lately I haven't had time to comment on the time I spent a week ago with the Momentum's at Paragon before they were shipped to RMAF.

I had hoped to hear the Momentum's paired with the Futura's but they had been returned to the larger room and were again connected to the Maxx 3's. In lieu of the Wadia 9 DAC's for a front end, they were connected to AR Ref 5 and CD 8.

I brought a compilation disc containing a variety of tunes from artists as varied as Holly Cole, Alison Krauss, Nils Lofgen, Brandi Carlile, Jamie Valle, 2 Cellos, and Paul Paray and the Detroit Symphony Orchestra.

First comment. I soundstage was really, really good on the Orchestral pieces. The presentation was as good as I have herd anywhere. (I have to really work on getting agreement from my wife to move my gear to one of our larger rooms) The Momentum's never seemed to be working hard at all.

Second comment, those of us who have the MCD-1100 are very fortunate. The first three songs all sounded very good, but then Brandi Carlile's "My Song" which is no Audiophile tune started playing it sounded terrible. The highs were all hash. Almost unlistenable. I thought it was a bad burn. Yet when I returned home and played the track on the C-1000/MCD-1100 everything was perfectly detailed and clear.

I like the Momentum's (and the Maxx 3's) but not sure I am willing to pay twice what my 1.2k's cost to have those beauties sitting in my room.

Jim
Old 10-18-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
I have been so busy lately I haven't had time to comment on the time I spent a week ago with the Momentum's at Paragon before they were shipped to RMAF.

I had hoped to hear the Momentum's paired with the Futura's but they had been returned to the larger room and were again connected to the Maxx 3's. In lieu of the Wadia 9 DAC's for a front end, they were connected to AR Ref 5 and CD 8.

I brought a compilation disc containing a variety of tunes from artists as varied as Holly Cole, Alison Krauss, Nils Lofgen, Brandi Carlile, Jamie Valle, 2 Cellos, and Paul Paray and the Detroit Symphony Orchestra.

First comment. I soundstage was really, really good on the Orchestral pieces. The presentation was as good as I have herd anywhere. (I have to really work on getting agreement from my wife to move my gear to one of our larger rooms) The Momentum's never seemed to be working hard at all.

Second comment, those of us who have the MCD-1100 are very fortunate. The first three songs all sounded very good, but then Brandi Carlile's "My Song" which is no Audiophile tune started playing it sounded terrible. The highs were all hash. Almost unlistenable. I thought it was a bad burn. Yet when I returned home and played the track on the C-1000/MCD-1100 everything was perfectly detailed and clear.

I like the Momentum's (and the Maxx 3's) but not sure I am willing to pay twice what my 1.2k's cost to have those beauties sitting in my room.

Jim
Jim,

Treat this as a start to building a SECOND SYSTEM in your intended larger room.

Your wife would understand.

By the way, you passing this way end/next year? Let me know. I long for the cuppa together!

Cheers!
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar
Old 10-21-2011, 03:48 AM

I would love to have a pair of Momentum too. to pair it with my ARC REF40.
I will try to compare them with ARC REF250. Actually Ref250 should be better matched to my preamp. I just don't wanna worried about tubes replacement or tubes break down. But I will make decision based on synergy and sonic quality. My Speakers are Salon2 + Sophia3,
and I guess Momentum will provide better drive for Salon2.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:49 PM
Audio Snoopster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post

Jim
Jim,

Your second comment was an interesting one, as it reminded me of the comments made by Wes Phillips (Stereophile) in his review of the Ayre MX-R monoblocks that was posted on 15-Apr-2007 (Ayre MX-R monoblock power amplifier | Stereophile.com) when he compared them to the Krell Evolution 600 monoblocks:

"While my stint with the MX-Rs had some overlap with recordings, especially with discs that the Krell Evo system had spectacularly imprinted upon me, my listening logs ran much further afield. The Krells had me digging out discs engineered by Wilkinson, Layton-Moore, Johnson, Faulkner, and quite a few by Atkinson. My MX-R logs also included Jelly Roll Morton, Fats Waller, Ralph Stanley, and, yes, Casals and Cortot. I'm not saying that the Ayres made those sonically compromised discs sound better than they do, nor am I saying that the Krells made them sound worse. I did, however get impatient with less than superb recordings with the Evos. I felt I was wasting the amps' potential. The Ayres, without being euphonic, didn't make me feel that way."

So it would seem that the recording quality 'fussy gene' may have been passed down to the D.D. Momentums!

That being said, when I A/B'ed the D.D. Momentum monoblocks with the Ayre MX-R monoblocks (along with the Wilson Sasha W/P's, Ayre KX-R preamp, Ayre QB-9 USB DAC, late-2009 Mac Mini w/Amarra and Transparent Ref. XL (MM2) cabling throughout), we did also try some run-of-the-mill CD recordings as well as some of my favorite internet radio stations, and I must say, the D.D. Momentums were outstanding.

Despite not having tried out other electronics in place of the Ayre gear during the A/B session, I do believe that the Ayre gear played a significant part in the overall sonic performance of the above system.

When the D.D. Momentum preamp is launched, I do plan to demo it as well. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the sonic characteristics/qualities that Ayre brings to this system setup will be hard to beat!

Philip

Last edited by psjl; 10-25-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:59 PM
Audio Snoopster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGA View Post
I would love to have a pair of Momentum too. to pair it with my ARC REF40.
I will try to compare them with ARC REF250. Actually Ref250 should be better matched to my preamp. I just don't wanna worried about tubes replacement or tubes break down. But I will make decision based on synergy and sonic quality. My Speakers are Salon2 + Sophia3,
and I guess Momentum will provide better drive for Salon2.
Toga.....when you get the chance to demo the Momentums, please do let us know your impressions......would be nice to see another fellow AA member eventually ordering another pair of D.D. Momentums! ......Philip
Old 11-08-2011, 01:58 AM

Hi Philip,
Now I am more lean to the ARC Ref250 with the following reasons.
1. Momentum's image now is like a rare Patek Phillippe, I tried hard to find the real one to see and there's 2 pairs in Hong Kong, 1 pair in Singapore and they don't demo to me.
2. If it so hard to see/hear them, it will be very hard to have it repaired in the future as they're so rare, so limited.
3. Not quite sure how long the company will stay, great wish to him anyway, but still not
sure about this.

As of now, I have no stereo system left in listening room, as great flood is coming my way. I put all in packages and move them up high. Anyway, after the flood, I
expect some of my gears will not have chance to serve me again, guess that will be the power amps. either Momentum or Ref 250 will replace them soon, I'm sure will report to you when eventually I have a chance to hear them. I can't borrow Ref250 now as there
is risk of flooding in my home too. TOGA
Old 11-08-2011, 02:25 AM

ƒAƒNƒVƒX

This link show clear picture of D'agostino products.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Hi Philip,
1. Momentum's image now is like a rare Patek Phillippe, I tried hard to find the real one to see and there's 2 pairs in Hong Kong, 1 pair in Singapore and they don't demo to me.
2. If it so hard to see/hear them, it will be very hard to have it repaired in the future as they're so rare, so limited.
3. Not quite sure how long the company will stay, great wish to him anyway, but still not
sure about this.

As of now, I have no stereo system left in listening room, as great flood is coming my way. I put all in packages and move them up high. Anyway, after the flood, I
expect some of my gears will not have chance to serve me again, guess that will be the power amps. either Momentum or Ref 250 will replace them soon, I'm sure will report to you when eventually I have a chance to hear them. I can't borrow Ref250 now as there
TOGA
The news here has carried a lot of coverage of the flooding in Thailand. We hope that your home ends up safe and not underwater like so much of Bangkok and other parts of the country.

Jim
Old 11-08-2011, 11:51 AM

Thanks for cheering Jim, My home is quite in the CBD which I guess will be kept dried at all cost. But nobody can win the natural disaster. At least all my stereo system are on second floor now. Carrying a pair of Salon2 and a pair of Sophia3 up the stair was the
most tired moving I ever done !
Old 11-09-2011, 05:25 PM
Audio Snoopster

Quote:
Hi Philip,
sure about this.

TOGA,

The ARC Reference (40th) Anniversary preamp + ARC Reference 250 monoblock amps is a very nice paring as well, and I don't think you could go wrong there - it all comes down to one's own personal sonic tastes.

As for the D.D. Momentums, initially, I too had concerns regarding Dan D'Agostino's newly setup company after he departed from Krell's day-to-day management. However, after much thought & deliberation on my part, as well as many conversations with individuals familiar with Dan's situation, and coupled with the very robust demand/sales of his Momentum monoblock amps thus far, I decided that I would get the D.D. Momentums.

Many reputable/sizeable distributors who use to deal with Dan while he was at Krell, have chosen to continue the relationship with Dan, and this was also a key factor in my decision to put my trust in his new company.

I also was a bit surprised that you did not manage to demo the D.D. Momentums while in HK or Singapore. I actually spoke with the HK distributor/dealer if he was contacted by you, and he told me that someone from Thailand inquired about demo'ing the D.D. Momentums, but it was around the time of the 2011 HK High-End AV Show (5 to 7-Aug), and the 2 pairs of D.D. Momentums were being setup for the show at that time and had just come back from the magazine reviewer. Since then, the HK distributor/dealer has moved into a spanking new & bigger showroom, so if you have the opportunity to be in HK again, you should definitely go there - his primary speakers are Vivid Audio & Eggleston Works. As for the Singapore distributor/dealer, I believe that he will be getting in some new demo units shortly, but his listening sessions are always booked solid, so make sure you contact him way in advance for a listening session if you happen to be in Singapore - his primary speakers are Avalon, Vandersteen & Martin Logan.

If you have problems contacting either the HK or Singapore distributors/dealers, or have trouble booking a listening session, then just let me know, and I'll have a word with them.

In addition, have you also tried getting a demo of the D.D. Momentums arranged with your local distributor/dealer, Audio Excellence Co., Ltd. in Bangkok?

Lastly, I sure hope that none of your gear got damaged by the flooding that is affecting Bangkok. More importantly, I hope you and your family stay safe and healthy during this most stressful and dangerous period.

Take good care of yourself!

Philip