AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 04-30-2012, 03:44 PM

Hey Larry

For what it's worth my room size is 11 x 21 speakers set up on the short wall. I wish my room was just a bit bigger, I think the Lafite could benefit from a bit more breathing space.

Doug
Accessories. Mr T. Shindo + Auditorium Cables.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:21 PM

Doug:

Thanks for that. I may put aside some funds to trade up one day. Lafites would work in my room, but Petite Latour would likely be the better alternative, which I cant aford. At the moment I cant wait to get my system back up a running, which may still be a month away.

Larry
Old 05-01-2012, 05:33 AM

Near-field? Maybe a 604 Latour?

I am building a 10.3 cu ft MLTL cab for my 604s. Pretty similar dims,, but no FC drivers.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortnipper View Post
Near-field? Maybe a 604 Latour?

I am building a 10.3 cu ft MLTL cab for my 604s. Pretty similar dims,, but no FC drivers.
Could you give more detail please? Do you have 604's now, or just the drivers?
What does MLTL stand for?
Old 05-01-2012, 01:58 PM
chief tube tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowens View Post
Hi Matt

Would the Lafite work in my listening room which is a living room/dining room combination which measures approx. 13 feet by 28 feet? I use about 13 by 14 of it as a listening area. The room also has two openings to other rooms (5.5ft opening on opposite wall of speakers and a 3 foot opening on side wall near left speaker)

I normally play music at low to moderate listening levels.

Larry
Yep, they would work perfectly.

-M
Old 05-01-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbag View Post
Could you give more detail please? Do you have 604's now, or just the drivers?
What does MLTL stand for?
I have GPA 604-8H-III drivers in a JE Labs OB at the moment.

Shindo did make a version of the Latour for at least one customer I know with the GPA 604-8H-II drivers (which has a Mantaray style horn, where the III has an exponentially flared horn similar to the Urei style 604 horn).

Mass Loaded Transmission Line (the mass is "stuffing") where quarter wavelength standing waves inside the enclosure are used to produce the bass response emanating from the bottom-firing port. It is my understanding that this is what Shindo uses for the basis for their designs?

See MLK's website for MLTL theory.

Oh, should add that it is also the design basis used for Stęphan's 6Moons project, however they compromised the design somewhat by placing the drivers on the narrow side of the enclosure.

Last edited by gortnipper; 05-01-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:18 PM

Gortnipper,
Thank you for the links. interesting and I will have to learn more. Maybe when I get my renos finished and the kids are older I can build my own speakers.
Being a cabinetmaker/carpenter for my entire life, I'm sure I can build a beautiful enclosure but I need to learn more in order to get the rest figured out.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbag View Post
Gortnipper,
Thank you for the links. interesting and I will have to learn more. Maybe when I get my renos finished and the kids are older I can build my own speakers.
Being a cabinetmaker/carpenter for my entire life, I'm sure I can build a beautiful enclosure but I need to learn more in order to get the rest figured out.
PM me and I can send you an info pack I have sent to others for this build, if you like.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:06 PM
chief tube tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortnipper View Post
I have GPA 604-8H-III drivers in a JE Labs OB at the moment.

Shindo did make a version of the Latour for at least one customer I know with the GPA 604-8H-II drivers (which has a Mantaray style horn, where the III has an exponentially flared horn similar to the Urei style 604 horn).

Mass Loaded Transmission Line (the mass is "stuffing") where quarter wavelength standing waves inside the enclosure are used to produce the bass response emanating from the bottom-firing port. It is my understanding that this is what Shindo uses for the basis for their designs?...
The only thing correct in the above statement is, yes, Shindo did a 604 cabinet and crossover for a customer who already owned, and wanted to try his personal GPA drivers (which the customer subsequently ended up removing from the cabinet after determining them unworthy.) Shindo provides original 604 drivers with his particular 604 based loudspeaker but goes a step further by re-engineering it into a field coil driver with integrated power supply within the cabinet.

FWIW, the Shindo is completely different than an MLTL. It's not a textbook design by any means.. .. .

Sincerely,
-M

Last edited by pitch perfect; 05-01-2012 at 11:31 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-02-2012, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchperfect View Post
The only thing correct in the above statement is, yes, Shindo did a 604 cabinet and crossover for a customer who already owned, and wanted to try his personal GPA drivers (which the customer subsequently ended up removing from the cabinet after determining them unworthy.) Shindo provides original 604 drivers with his particular 604 based loudspeaker but goes a step further by re-engineering it into a field coil driver with integrated power supply within the cabinet.

FWIW, the Shindo is completely different than an MLTL. It's not a textbook design by any means.. .. .

Sincerely,
-M
Sweet, thanks for the added info. But, I think what you have said is that the only thing incorrect was that Shindo makes a MLTL, which was a question by me anyway, and not a statement. I think the rest of my post is accurate.

Last edited by gortnipper; 05-03-2012 at 11:30 PM. Reason: nit-picking