AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Pass Labs

Pass Labs 20 Years and Counting

Old 09-12-2016, 07:23 PM

Default Utterly. Delightful. Customer experience.

I called Pass Labs today. What a delightful experience. Totally different 180 degree experience from when I had called Ayre. I'd recommend that Charlie try it for himself, but I wonder if the cold 'we don't talk to users, that's what dealers are for' response I got when I had called Ayre was just company culture. Maybe it's how he instructs staff to respond to callers.

Nonetheless, AX 5 Twenty should be a competent door stop. PASS INT-250 should produce exciting sonics. Better sound, better customer service (?). I'll be eager to report....
Old 09-12-2016, 07:46 PM

Default Utterly. Delightful. Customer experience.

My Chicago-based Ayre dealer totally misled me about good integrated amp to marry with B&Ws. Safe to say they better enjoy my $13k because it's the very last time they will ever see a penny from me.

I called Pass today to inquire about their INT-250 as a replacement for the Ayre. What a case study in how to gain/earn customer confidence. Called an AD and gave them my Visa # within minutes.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:44 PM

Enjoy the new integrated. Was not clear from the note but how does it sound?

I will say I have had numerous discussions with Ayre....including Charlie and they have always kept me informed and answered all my questions. Go figure

I do like some of the Pass gear as well so I hope you how found the kit which meets your needs. Enjoy
Old 09-13-2016, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkbark View Post
My Chicago-based Ayre dealer totally misled me about good integrated amp to marry with B&Ws. Safe to say they better enjoy my $13k because it's the very last time they will ever see a penny from me.

I called Pass today to inquire about their INT-250 as a replacement for the Ayre. What a case study in how to gain/earn customer confidence. Called an AD and gave them my Visa # within minutes.
I'm happy for you, but I don't think you have described exactly what you heard from pass that dislodged your credit card. I'm curious what they could have said. Personally I read tons of reviews and visit audio shows to gain confidence in the brands I invest in.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:36 AM

let's wait and see when you install the amp in your own system
Old 09-13-2016, 10:02 AM

Congrats on the purchase. Been using PASS amps/pre-amp in my system for awhile now and have no complaints. I assume its the same Chicago dealer for me as well .
Old 09-17-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
I'm happy for you, but I don't think you have described exactly what you heard from pass that dislodged your credit card. I'm curious what they could have said. Personally I read tons of reviews and visit audio shows to gain confidence in the brands I invest in.
Fair 'nuf. I had already heard from several others whose opinion I respect that (1) the Ayre AX5Twenty simply doesn't have the output to make my B&W 803D's sing and (2) PASS INT-250 produces wonderful sound. Frankly, my primary objective: I was seeking greater wpc in an integrated, and from a company that I felt comfortable sending $$ to.

When I had called them, Ayre gave me the royal 'call your dealer' blow-off. PASS, on the other hand, expressed genuine gratitude in my interest in their product. As a consultant (to non-audio companies), I tell people to avoid Ayre-like 'attitude' and ensure that their customers receive PASS-like responses. I use tapes of my calls with both of them. None of my non-audio clients disagree.

To answer your question -- what I heard was a gratitude for and commitment to customer satisfaction from PASS that I completely failed to hear from Ayre.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:12 PM

Not a comment re ayre, but I have a good good friend who is a third generation audiophile who is a pass fanatic, in large part because of interactions such as those you describe. Not exclusive to pass, but always good to note when you hear about it. I get the same thing from Bryston - I call them about the stupidest stuff and they call right back and resolve it, and sound glad to do so. I perceive value in that - others may not, but I do.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Old 09-17-2016, 08:20 PM

to wit: my interaction with PASS was 'Ivan-like'; with Ayre -- meh, not so much....
Old 09-18-2016, 08:49 PM

Most of us have good experience with Ayre, always had an answer from them, even had conversations with Charlie Hansen on another audio forum.

It's getting a bit old to hear one guy keep going on how bad Ayre is

Last edited by imprezap2; 09-18-2016 at 08:57 PM.