AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magico

Magico Extreme Fidelity

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLK View Post

Did you listen to the Q3 or S5 with the Aesthetix Monos or Signature amp?

I've never seen any review of the Aesthetix Monos or Signature, but here's some interesting pictures from the Stereophile Atlas Stereo review and the Costellation Centaur:

Fig.2 Constellation Performance Centaur($54K), small-signal 10kHz squarewave into 8 ohms.

Fig.2 Aesthetix Atlas($8K), small-signal 10kHz squarewave into 8 ohms.
Agree Constellation pairs best. Atlas may look same at 8 ohms but when it drops 2 ohms would want to see it then. The Centaur grips the mids and lows like there is no tomorrow while finessing the highs.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:08 PM
Bodhisattva

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyjack View Post
Agree Constellation pairs best. Atlas may look same at 8 ohms but when it drops 2 ohms would want to see it then. The Centaur grips the mids and lows like there is no tomorrow while finessing the highs.
Willy have you listened to the Q3's with a Vitus SS-102/SL-102, or the S5's with a Vitus SIA-025 running in class A? In my mind Vitus is much better designed and built than Constellation & has excellent synergy with Magico.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
Willy have you listened to the Q3's with a Vitus SS-102/SL-102, or the S5's with a Vitus SIA-025 running in class A? In my mind Vitus is much better designed and built than Constellation & has excellent synergy with Magico.
Hi David,

Doesn't Magico use Constellation Audio amps at a lot of the audio shows? I would assume that these amps have excellent sound/synergy with the Magicos if they choose to use them over other amps.

Since I'm hoping to audition some Magico S5 and Q3 in the not too distant future, could you describe the differences in sound between the Constellation and the Vitus amps? There is a dealer where I can audition Magicos and my amplifier choices are Audio Research, Boulder, Heigl, Spectral, Soulution and Constellation. I was leaning toward hearing the Constellation, thinking this would be the best match of the six.

Best,
Ken
Old 01-03-2014, 10:12 PM

A few months ago, I heard the S5 and Q3 with Constellation Centaur Mono at the local dealer's showroom and went away quite impressed. In that session, I slightly preferred the Q3 for its transparency and more silky smooth highs. The room was of reasonable size (~18 x 25 ft) and the Q3 was able to present a dense sound field with excellent dynamics. I have been pondering about upgrading to Q3 since. But each time I sit down to listen to the beautiful sound from my S5, the urge would subside. I guess I will run the S5 to at least 1000 hours before doing anything.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEE View Post
A few months ago, I heard the S5 and Q3 with Constellation Centaur Mono at the local dealer's showroom and went away quite impressed. In that session, I slightly preferred the Q3 for its transparency and more silky smooth highs. The room was of reasonable size (~18 x 25 ft) and the Q3 was able to present a dense sound field with excellent dynamics. I have been pondering about upgrading to Q3 since. But each time I sit down to listen to the beautiful sound from my S5, the urge would subside. I guess I will run the S5 to at least 1000 hours before doing anything.
Hi Clee,

Thanks for the information. I look forward to auditioning the S5 and Q3 with the Centaur Monos. I figured this would be a fine sounding system. I'm in no hurry to upgrade my speakers as I am quite satisfied with the sound of my Salon 2. But after reading so much about the Magico, I am very curious to hear them for myself. Plus, I just enjoy taking a day to audition gear every so often. I'm also curious to hear the Rockport Avior, Wilson Alexia and Raidho C3.1.

In my opinion, it definitely makes sense to fully break in your S5 before even considering an upgrade to the Q3. Plus, you are really enjoying the sound of the S5, so why change at all?

Best,
Ken
Old 01-04-2014, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
Hello. I have not heard that combo (vitus and Magico) but from what I have read about Vitus and its synergy with Magico, if I didn't own and love the Constellation, Vitus would be the first I would audition. There was a vitus integrated for sale a few months ago on Audiogon for $7k - still pains me i didn't buy it.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan View Post
Hi Clee,

Thanks for the information. I look forward to auditioning the S5 and Q3 with the Centaur Monos. I figured this would be a fine sounding system. I'm in no hurry to upgrade my speakers as I am quite satisfied with the sound of my Salon 2. But after reading so much about the Magico, I am very curious to hear them for myself. Plus, I just enjoy taking a day to audition gear every so often. I'm also curious to hear the Rockport Avior, Wilson Alexia and Raidho C3.1.

In my opinion, it definitely makes sense to fully break in your S5 before even considering an upgrade to the Q3. Plus, you are really enjoying the sound of the S5, so why change at all?

Best,
Ken
Hi Ken,

I also enjoy auditioning at dealers' occasionally. I heard the Salon 2 a few times and thought it to be in similar league as my previous Sasha. With my limited experience, I also consider it (and the S5) as one of the best values in hi-end gears.

I was impressed by the Constellation but a concern impeded my further perusal. A friend who is an experienced DIY'er told me he was underwhelmed by the inside layout and assembly of the Centaur,(given its price level), and cautioned me of possible (his conjecture only) of unit to unit variations.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyjack View Post
Hello. I have not heard that combo (vitus and Magico) but from what I have read about Vitus and its synergy with Magico, if I didn't own and love the Constellation, Vitus would be the first I would audition. There was a vitus integrated for sale a few months ago on Audiogon for $7k - still pains me i didn't buy it.
As it happened, I was also too late. I even asked David about Vitus synergy with Magico then.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:22 AM
Bodhisattva

Here is a photo of Magico's sound room showing both Vitus and Constellation amps in residence..

Old 01-04-2014, 08:23 AM

VERY VERY nice!