AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wireworld Cables

Wireworld Cables A World Of Difference

Old 10-16-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayvis View Post
Can someone tell me if there were other generations of WW Electra power cords before the Electra 7? If so, what is different about the 7?
I have WW Electra 5^2s and don't know what distinguishes them from the 7 except, as Stephen notes, for the replacement of Composilex by Composilex II.

If it will help--and you don't mind a comparison with the 5^2 as well as waiting a few days until after it arrives--I've just ordered a Venom HC to see how it stacks up against the WW running from the wall to the Blue Circle power conditioner in my bedroom system. My Sonographe amp's power cord is hardwired in, so I can't do a direct shootout using the amp.

Depending on how the comparison goes, I'll share my impressions either here or in the Shunyata forum.

Living-Dining Room: Win 10 AMD A12 laptop/JRiver Media Center 22 audio player, with music fed by 3TB external drive; Wireworld Starlight 7 USB cable; TEAC UD-501 DAC; upgraded SOTA Sapphire III; Origin Live Encounter Mk3c/Ortofon 2M Black, Graham Slee Era Gold V; McIntosh MR77; Oppo BDP-83; conrad johnson Premier 17LS (6922EH); conrad-johnson MF2500; Paradigm SE-3. Wireworld Equinox 6 ICs, Blue Jeans/Belden 5T00UP SC. PS Audio Dectet, Wireworld Electra 5/2 PCs (PR17LS, Dectet), Hubbell HBL5362 duplex outlet. GIK standard 244 and scatter-plate 244 and Monster traps.

Home Office: Win 10 PC/JRiver Media Center 22 audio player, with music fed by 4TB external drive; Uptone Audio REGEN via USPCB A>B Adapter; TEAC UD-501 DAC; Luminous Audio Axiom Mk. II passive line stage; c-j Sonographe SA250; Paradigm SE-1. WW Equinox 6 IC, Blue Jeans/Belden 5T00UP speaker cable, Shunyata Hydra PLC, Wireworld Electra 5^2 power cord from PLC to UD-501.

Bedroom: Win 10 i7 laptop/JRiver Media Center 22 audio player; Wireworld Silver Starlight 7 USB cable to Uptone Audio ISO REGEN via USPCB A>B Adapter; Uptone Audio LPS-1 power supply; TEAC UD-501; Luminous Audio Axiom Mk. II Walker Mod passive line stage; c-j Sonographe SA250 w/Vampire input jacks and Cardas binding posts; stand-mounted Paradigm Studio 20 v.5. WW Eclipse 7 ICs, Blue Jeans/Belden 5T00UP speaker cable, Blue Circle Thingee FX 0e PLC, upgraded-connector WW Electra 7 power cords (from wall to PLC and from PLC to UD-501), PS Audio Power Port, Stillpoints Ultra Minis under laptop and SA250, rubber-and-cork isolators under 4TB external drive, GIK 244, 244 Scatter Plate, 224, and Monster traps, DIY 4"-thick 12"x15" traps.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtranr View Post
I have WW Electra 5^2s and don't know what distinguishes them from the 7 except, as Stephen notes, for the replacement of Composilex by Composilex II.

If it will help--and you don't mind a comparison with the 5^2 as well as waiting a few days until after it arrives--I've just ordered a Venom HC to see how it stacks up against the WW running from the wall to the Blue Circle power conditioner in my bedroom system. My Sonographe amp's power cord is hardwired in, so I can't do a direct shootout using the amp.

Depending on how the comparison goes, I'll share my impressions either here or in the Shunyata forum.
I look forward to reading the results of your comparison.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
I look forward to reading the results of your comparison.
I apologize for raising expectations, but, after giving it some thought based on my experience with my existing Wireworld lineup, I've changed my plans and cancelled the Venom HC order. I plan instead to compare the WW Electra 7 to my Electra 5^2 to determine what, if any, differences I can hear between them. Once I've done the comparison, I'll post my impressions in a separate thread here on the WW board.

Jim

Living-Dining Room: Win 10 AMD A12 laptop/JRiver Media Center 22 audio player, with music fed by 3TB external drive; Wireworld Starlight 7 USB cable; TEAC UD-501 DAC; upgraded SOTA Sapphire III; Origin Live Encounter Mk3c/Ortofon 2M Black, Graham Slee Era Gold V; McIntosh MR77; Oppo BDP-83; conrad johnson Premier 17LS (6922EH); conrad-johnson MF2500; Paradigm SE-3. Wireworld Equinox 6 ICs, Blue Jeans/Belden 5T00UP SC. PS Audio Dectet, Wireworld Electra 5/2 PCs (PR17LS, Dectet), Hubbell HBL5362 duplex outlet. GIK standard 244 and scatter-plate 244 and Monster traps.

Home Office: Win 10 PC/JRiver Media Center 22 audio player, with music fed by 4TB external drive; Uptone Audio REGEN via USPCB A>B Adapter; TEAC UD-501 DAC; Luminous Audio Axiom Mk. II passive line stage; c-j Sonographe SA250; Paradigm SE-1. WW Equinox 6 IC, Blue Jeans/Belden 5T00UP speaker cable, Shunyata Hydra PLC, Wireworld Electra 5^2 power cord from PLC to UD-501.

Bedroom: Win 10 i7 laptop/JRiver Media Center 22 audio player; Wireworld Silver Starlight 7 USB cable to Uptone Audio ISO REGEN via USPCB A>B Adapter; Uptone Audio LPS-1 power supply; TEAC UD-501; Luminous Audio Axiom Mk. II Walker Mod passive line stage; c-j Sonographe SA250 w/Vampire input jacks and Cardas binding posts; stand-mounted Paradigm Studio 20 v.5. WW Eclipse 7 ICs, Blue Jeans/Belden 5T00UP speaker cable, Blue Circle Thingee FX 0e PLC, upgraded-connector WW Electra 7 power cords (from wall to PLC and from PLC to UD-501), PS Audio Power Port, Stillpoints Ultra Minis under laptop and SA250, rubber-and-cork isolators under 4TB external drive, GIK 244, 244 Scatter Plate, 224, and Monster traps, DIY 4"-thick 12"x15" traps.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:05 AM

If you can go to silver electra go for it major improvement over electra
pierre
Old 10-19-2017, 08:49 AM

I've decided to forgo what could be a futile and overly expensive tweak with power cords. I'm going to just enjoy my system with the stock cords for now. Thanks for everyone's opinions.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
I appreciate everyone's comments, but this is part of the reason why I've resisted jumping onto the power cord wagon for so long.
Frustration is part and parcel of audiophilia, given the variety of choices, the inevitable differences of opinion that accompany them, and the subjectivity that's built into our DNA (or at least whatever it is that connects our ears, brains, and we-like-it-or-we-don't gut).

You'd indicated an interest in pushing out the edge of your McIntosh-based envelope with a toe-dip into power cords. Might I suggest that the only way you're going to find out whether upgraded PC's push out that edge or not is to audition at least one? You've received a number of recommendations here, and taking up Ivan's offer to allow subscribers to actually listen to one of those recommended PC's (whether Venom, Electra, Silver Electra, or whatever) is a good way for you to determine whether an upgraded PC effects what your ear-brain-gut deem an audible--and worthwhile--improvement. Otherwise, given my own experience, you may find the question gnawing at you for eons.

Jim

Old 10-19-2017, 03:35 PM

I've tried a few cords over the past week and didn't hear any improvement worth spending money on. I'm in a happy place right now with my system and will spend the money on music.

Last edited by jayvis; 10-19-2017 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:48 PM
conrad-johnson, baby!

Quote:
I've tried a few cords over the past week and didn't hear any improvement worth spending money on. I'm in a happy place right now with my system and will spend the money on music.
Good; enjoy your new music, that should always be the first priority. Cheers.
conrad-johnson CT-5 and LP70S, Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion & Rega P5/Sumiko Pearwood Celebration II w/ EAR324P, Clearaudio Concept/Grado Sonata1 mono 2w/ EAR 834P, Oppo BD-83SE, Sonore microRendu with Uptone Audio LPS-1 power supply, Schiit Gungnir Multibit Gen 5 USB DAC, Schiit Loki DSD DAC, Schiit Eitr USB/SPDIF convertor, Mac Mini/Roon, Dynaudio Contour S3.4 with Esotar 2 tweeters, REL R-305, DNM speaker cables, Audioquest Colombia and Colorado ICs, Shunyata Zitron and Black Mamba CX power cords, Shunyata Triton