AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 04-27-2018, 04:11 PM

Default Original Amati Homage vs Amati Futura - Need Your Expertise

I am very familiar with the sound of the Amati Futura's. I've listened to them extensively at a friends of a friends home. Unfortunately, even used, I simply can't afford the Futura's.

For those of you who are familiar, can you describe the differences in sound between the Futura's, and the original Amati Homage speakers (circa 2000-2006)? Any input here would be greatly appreciated. Also, it would help if anyone could explain where the Amati Anniversarios, released in 2006 fit into the mix.

Also, I know the Futura's will perform superbly in a small to medium size room such as I have (13x15x7.5), can I expect that the Amati Homage and Anniversario, would also do well in that same room?

Thanks,

John

Last edited by John Clark; 04-27-2018 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:53 AM

IMO the earlier Amati speakers were richer and warmer that todays editions. The bass is less defined and the highs are "cuddlier". But it still sounds great in the voice department.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:26 AM
Go Dawgs

John - here’s a link to Michael Fremer’s original review of the Amati Homage. This may give you a bit more insight as to the sound of the original. As Bigblue above said, the Homage was a bit fatter, warmer and less defined in the bass. I’ve heard both but it’s been quite awhile.

https://www.stereophile.com/floorlou...139/index.html

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 04-28-2018, 02:42 PM

Thanks guys, your input is much appreciated.

I did read the Stereophile review that you noted of the original Homage, and a later one on the Anniversario. And, as I said before, I'm well aware of the sound of the Futura due to my time listening to them.

I currently have the Olympica III's and love their sound (just want more of it like its "big brother" the Futura delivers). My concern is that while I to tend to prefer warmer, richer speakers, having experienced the greater dynamics and bass control of the newer (post Serblin) SF sound, that started with the Olympica's and continues through the Futura's, the older sound may not appeal to me as much. And, as I noted before, the Futura's, used, are simply beyond my financial limits.

I suspect only the Anniversario with a different driver, and other changes might work for me, but really need someone very familiar with both it, and the Futura to provide their perspective.

John
Old 04-28-2018, 03:10 PM
Merry Christmas to all

John.......I wouldn't trade my Sonus faber Amati Anniversario speakers for the Amati Homage or the Futura. The Sonus faber Amati Anniversario speakers are true audio jewels, so musical, so beautiful, so satisfying.

Take a few minutes to read my Sonus faber Amati Anniversario Review .

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 04-28-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
John.......I wouldn't trade my Sonus faber Amati Anniversario speakers for the Amati Homage or the Futura. The Sonus faber Amati Anniversario speakers are true audio jewels, so musical, so beautiful, so satisfying.

Take a few minutes to read my Sonus faber Amati Anniversario Review .

Dan, thanks VERY much for directing me to your review and all the rest of the discussion. It's great that you have found the speakers you are this attached to. It was extremely informative! Do you feel that your Anniversario provide solid, taut bass for rock music? Many of the older models were a bit less than ideal in that area.

John

Last edited by John Clark; 04-28-2018 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:14 PM
Merry Christmas to all

John.......The bottom end on the Amati Anniversario's is solid and goes deep, and yes it is taut and fast, but like any great speaker it cannot reproduce what the source doesn't deliver. If the source has a rocking bass, the Anniversario's will deliver. Also, like any other high-end speaker, proper setup in the room is essential. Once I established the correct positions for my speakers the room became perfectly pressurized and coupled with the woofers.

Prior to installing the Anniversario's I owned the Sonus faber Guarneri Memento speakers. The low end was decent to just about 48 Hz. Below that point the GM's rolled off rapidly. I supplemented the lowest octave with a pair of McIntosh XLS112 powered subwoofers and used a Bryston 10B Sub active crossover to route everything below 50 HZ to the subs. The Memento's opened up when they no longer were struggling to reproduce the lowest octave, and the total presentation was excellent. When I got the Amati Anniversario's the bottom end went considerable lower with more power so the subwoofers were removed from the two channel system. The Anniversario speakers are full range.

I have owned my Sonus faber Amati Anniversario speakers for nearly seven years. I am just as thrilled to listen to them today as I was when they arrived. I have powered them with many McIntosh amplifiers, one MC275 in stereo, a pair of MC275's in mono, an MC352, MC452, MC601's, and now I power them with a pair of MC2301 tube power amplifiers. Every amplifier drove the Anniversario's without any issues and sounded fabulous.

If you shop around, you may be able to locate a nice pair of Amati Anniversario's in the price range of $18K, maybe even slightly less. They originally retailed for $30K. I can tell you this much about my speakers. If someone were to offer me full new retail for my Anniversario's, I would turn them down. That's how much I love these speakers. They will be with me to the end of my days.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 04-29-2018 at 12:53 AM.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:22 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
John.......The bottom end on the Amati Anniversario's is solid and goes deep, and yes it is taut and fast, but like any great speaker it cannot reproduce what the source doesn't deliver. If the source has a rocking bass, the Anniversario's will deliver. Also, like any other high-end speaker, proper setup in the room is essential. Once I established the correct positions for my speakers the room became perfectly pressurized and coupled with the woofers.

Prior to installing the Anniversario's I owned the Sonus faber Guarneri Memento speakers. The low end was decent to just about 48 Hz. Below that point the GM's rolled off rapidly. I supplemented the lowest octave with a pair of McIntosh XLS112 powered subwoofers and used a Bryston 10B Sub active crossover to route everything below 50 HZ to the subs. The Memento's opened up when they no longer were struggling to reproduce the lowest octave, and the total presentation was excellent. When I got the Amati Anniversario's the bottom end went considerable lower with more power so the subwoofers were removed from the two channel system. The Anniversario speakers are full range.

I have owned my Sonus faber Amati Anniversario speakers for nearly seven years. I am just as thrilled to listen to them today as I was when they arrived. I have powered them with many McIntosh amplifiers, one MC275 in stereo, a pair of MC275's in mono, an MC352, MC452, MC601's, and now I power them with a pair of MC2301 tube power amplifiers. Every amplifier drove the Anniversario's without any issues and sounded fabulous.

If you shop around, you may be able to locate a nice pair of Amati Anniversario's in the price range of $18K, maybe even slightly less. They originally retailed for $30K. I can tell you this much about my speakers. If someone were to offer me full new retail for my Anniversario's, I would turn them down. That's how much I love these speakers. They will be with me to the end of my days.
Dan... well time sure flies, and I’m always happy to hear the love hasn’t faded.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES

Last edited by jdandy; 04-29-2018 at 12:54 AM. Reason: correct typo in quote
Old 04-29-2018, 12:43 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
Dan... well time sure flies, and I’m always happy to hear the love hasn’t faded.
Ivan.......The Amati Anniversario's are the best purchase I have made with you. I am so glad the opportunity was presented to me. Many thanks.

Old 04-29-2018, 02:08 PM

Just came across this in a discussion that started when the Anniversarios were released in 2006. Can anyone confirm that the following is correct?

"the drivers of the new Amati Anniversario, are the same as Stradivari's (!!!) in tweeter and midrange and the woofers are the same type as Strad's but smaller from Seas. Practically is a smaller version of stradivari or a stradivari in a different box"

Thanks, John