AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 07-17-2018, 11:34 AM

EDIT:

Mine has the faintest hiss or hum that doesn't change at all when I adjust the volume up and down. I don't know if yours has more than that or not, but I am able to hear something. There's no way I can hear it unless I have my ear right next to the tweeter though.

Has yours done it from day 1?

Is the humming coming from both channels?

Do you have any other 12AX7 or 12AT7 tubes you can swap the originals out with?

Is it a 60 cycle hum, or more of a hissing sound?

Are you able to feel any vibration when you place your fingers on the woofer cone?

You may want to test it at a friends house and see if you can still hear it there.

Last edited by Route 66; 07-17-2018 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:55 PM
Retired

Yep......... order a new set of tested & matched tubes from our own AAf member, vintage_tube, and am guessing your hum will be gone.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 07-18-2018, 10:20 AM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

Kevin Deal of Upscale Audio in California burns in and tests all the tubes they sell so you know your getting a good product. Been dealing with him for years!
Old 07-18-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT View Post
Kevin Deal of Upscale Audio in California burns in and tests all the tubes they sell so you know your getting a good product. Been dealing with him for years!
He's a great guy to talk to too and his store is unbelievable!
Old 07-18-2018, 12:13 PM

I got burned twice on NOS tubes from uncle Kevvy at Upscale. I purchased 2 NOS Mullard CV4003 tubes and one went microphonic within 6 months. Bought 2 pairs of NOS Mullard 12au7 tubes and one tube in each channel developed a loud hiss within 6 months. This was in 2 different systems.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:17 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

Tubes aren''t perfect, but I've been dealing with him for close to 20 years and have had nothing but good results.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:04 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereo_5 View Post
I got burned twice on NOS tubes from uncle Kevvy at Upscale. I purchased 2 NOS Mullard CV4003 tubes and one went microphonic within 6 months. Bought 2 pairs of NOS Mullard 12au7 tubes and one tube in each channel developed a loud hiss within 6 months. This was in 2 different systems.
Will no longer deal with Kevin for similar reasons. Once burned, twice shy and all that.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 07-19-2018, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
EDIT:

Mine has the faintest hiss or hum that doesn't change at all when I adjust the volume up and down. I don't know if yours has more than that or not, but I am able to hear something. There's no way I can hear it unless I have my ear right next to the tweeter though.

Has yours done it from day 1?

Is the humming coming from both channels?

Do you have any other 12AX7 or 12AT7 tubes you can swap the originals out with?

Is it a 60 cycle hum, or more of a hissing sound?

Are you able to feel any vibration when you place your fingers on the woofer cone?

You may want to test it at a friends house and see if you can still hear it there.
I guess, mine does the same as your, i can't hear it unless i put my ears right in front of the tweeter or woofer.

Turn up the vol doesn't get it louder. it's on both channels.

So i guess it does to most of the MA252? consider it to be normal? i do not have other tubes....

i just test it with a headphone plugin and playing music, the hum or hiss still there to both speakers.

This is what the Mcintosh quality? or i am just being picky?
Old 07-19-2018, 08:32 AM
Alien Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
EDIT:

Mine has the faintest hiss or hum that doesn't change at all when I adjust the volume up and down. There's no way I can hear it unless I have my ear right next to the tweeter though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berman002 View Post
I guess, mine does the same as your, i can't hear it unless i put my ears right in front of the tweeter or woofer.
Both your descriptions sound to be normal. I've never owned a system that didn't put out at least a little hiss when I put my ear up to the tweeter. The amount of hiss is mostly dependent on the efficiency of your speakers.

Lossless > D100 / Yami YP 450 tt > MA7000 > KEF RDM3 / SVS SB2000 / Too much music, not enough time.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berman002 View Post

Turn up the vol doesn't get it louder. it's on both channels.

So i guess it does to most of the MA252? consider it to be normal? i do not have other tubes....

i just test it with a headphone plugin and playing music, the hum or hiss still there to both speakers.

This is what the Mcintosh quality? or i am just being picky?
Brownbear had great advice a couple of days ago. Is there a reason (or maybe I missed it?) why you have not called your dealer or taken it in?