AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Off Topic

General Off Topic Almost anything goes!

Old 10-26-2020, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
In the context of a scientific-philosophical post, some religious views on the topic from the same "series of videos" was acceptable in my mind.

I quoted the topic of the video for disclosure of what it would be. The video was really more philosophical with the input from those who are knowledgeable on the subject than religious in nature but it is a subject that often can derail quickly if not kept in check.

I personally have no problem discussing religious views as long as it is done tastefully and with respect to others but given the nature of such a topic.

The topic does have a track record along with a few other topics that crosses the boundaries very quickly and we have tried before.

The video was certainly thought provoking I thought and especially that different views and differences of opinion on the same question were presented. Discussing it in detail however is outside the rules we have set for AA.
Good points.

In the presence of rules and/or societal subjective norms, there is no true free will, only choice and consequence.
Old 10-27-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Charles I have never looked into it but was able to find a few good articles. Seems describing memory as well as memory loss/amnesia mathematically has indeed been attempted before. It’s not new. I think this would interest you more if you have not seen it https://neurosciencenews.com/math-mo...c-memory-2410/
Serge, I'll look/listen when I can. I have my own understanding of memory since I have studied it for many years. So I will answer my own questions. This is my understanding. It's not in a textbook or taken from a video or an article. It's been many years since I studied microprocessor design but I still remember a lot, especially about memory. I only have a few minutes and this is off the cuff.

So here we go. Memory is not a mathematical function.

Memory is a representation.

Memory is a representation of an event.

Memory is an output.

Memory is a stored output.

Human thought is first and foremost a memory.

Human thought does not obey the laws of physics but rather the laws of Boolean algebra. That's why I got so interested in Boolean algebra. This Algebra describes the laws of thought. The set of physics does not intersect with the Boolean set.

Everything is a memory. Nothing you see, hear, feel, touch, or experience is anything other than a memory of an event. Memory is not the event, does not equal the event.

The Universe we see today is a memory.

Typically events produce memories. The memory gives evidence of the event(s) that produced it, but not always. When you see a meteor crater it is natural to assume that it was created by a meteor impact, for example.

A digital system is said to possess memory if the present input is dependent on the past sequence of inputs.

Thus a digital system to have memory must have a latched output/input, a next state function and a clock. The next state function "thinks" and produces the present thought/output/memory.

In a digital system f(a) = a is the special case where the "thinking" equals the "thought" or memory.

Other than its importance in medicine and psychiatry, memory suggests an alternative to the Big Bang of modern physics. For example modern physics observes the solar system of today, which is a memory, and attempts to construct its past by means of a series of natural events dating all they way back to the Big Bang.

I'll have more to say about memory soon but the treadmill is calling. Big conference happening on Nov 20. I'm meeting with my computer graphic artists this Thursday. It's come down to garments, shoes, turbans, and wall cabinets. Amazing, after 15 years of constant work. Bet you didn't know ET wears clothes.

Best

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 10-27-2020 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10-27-2020, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Serge, I'll look/listen when I can. I have my own understanding of memory since I have studied it for many years. So I will answer my own questions. This is my understanding. It's not in a textbook or taken from a video or an article. It's been many years since I studied microprocessor design but I still remember a lot, especially about memory. I only have a few minutes and this is off the cuff.

So here we go. Memory is not a mathematical function.

Memory is a representation.

Memory is a representation of an event.

Memory is an output.

Memory is a stored output.

Human thought is first and foremost a memory.

Human thought does not obey the laws of physics but rather the laws of Boolean algebra. That's why I got so interested in Boolean algebra. This Algebra describes the laws of thought. The set of physics does not intersect with the Boolean set.

Everything is a memory. Nothing you see, hear, feel, touch, or experience is anything other than a memory of an event. Memory is not the event, does not equal the event.

The Universe we see today is a memory.

Typically events produce memories. The memory gives evidence of the event(s) that produced it, but not always. When you see a meteor crater it is natural to assume that it was created by a meteor impact, for example.

A digital system is said to possess memory if the present input is dependent on the past sequence of inputs.

Thus a digital system to have memory must have a latched output/input, a next state function and a clock. The next state function "thinks" and produces the present thought/output/memory.

In a digital system f(a) = a is the special case where the "thinking" equals the "thought" or memory.

I'll have more to say about memory but this is a good start.

Best

Charles

Excellent Charles. Appreciate your input. Now to think that time does not really exist either, it is all happening at once, the past, present and the future... Mind blowing to say the least.
Old 10-27-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Excellent Charles. Appreciate your input. Now to think that time does not really exist either, it is all happening at once, the past, present and the future... Mind blowing to say the least.
Serge, thank you. I added a little more and touched up the post also.

Charles
Old 10-27-2020, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Big conference happening on Nov 20. I'm meeting with my computer graphic artists this Thursday. It's come down to garments, shoes, turbans, and wall cabinets. Amazing, after 15 years of constant work. Bet you didn't know ET wears clothes.

Best

Charles
I actually did know that...
Old 10-28-2020, 03:48 PM

Memories are outputs. They are just as real as events. When you see a new freshly constructed house it is a memory. The house is a representation of all the events that took place during its construction. I also believe that time is real. I personally don't subscribe to the notion that the past present and future are all occurring at the same time. I see no reason to.

Let's consider the artist that wants to paint a beautiful night time landscape. First he must acquire his canvas and then prepare it for painting. He's a landscape artist so he has in his mind's eye exactly the end product which will be a beautiful finished painting.

A painting like this can take 1-2 weeks to complete. As the artist finishes his work each day the work becomes a memory or a representation of the work the artist accomplished during his day. The next day the artist will resume using the work he did the day before and so on until the painting is finished. Until the painting is complete at the end of everyday the painting on the canvas is an unfinished memory representing all the events that have occurred since the beginning of the painting. This is certainly a good way to understand the finished painting.

However, another and better way IMO to understand the finished painting is to consider every finished stroke of the artist's brush as a memory. So any paint on the canvas is an output or memory, the artist is the input, and the stroke of the brush the actuated thought of the artist based on his thinking. So anything you see on the canvas represents a series of memories (as opposed to a series of events which are inputs) or outputs based on the previous day's outputs or memories.

Now consider the canvas itself an output, a finished memory or output. Consider the canvas the space time continuum.

Next the artist must prepare his canvas by securing his materials. These materials are not events but outputs or memories. Using these materials over the course of six days the artist creates memory after memory until the painting is finished. The painting is the Universe and all that it contains.

During this period of time there were no events, only outputs or memories. Memories that were produced by natural events began after the painting was finished. We live inside this painting.

When we see a crater on the moon it is a memory. It could have been created by a natural event or by a memory during the time of creation when there were no events, only memories.

Physics looks at the crater and says it was caused by a meteor impact during the late heavy bombardment 4.5-3.8 billion years ago, i.e. by a natural event. Physics reconstructs the Universe by means of a series of naturally occurring events by means of gravity.

I look at the Universe as a finished Memory of the artist who made the Memory. Most if not all ET's are aware of this extremely important distinction.

Best

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 10-28-2020 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-28-2020, 04:25 PM

Charles, fantastic post. I enjoyed reading it and thinking over the philosophical meaning. Given the fact that science is still fluid when it comes to unlocking all the secrets of the universe, we do have some theories that seem to work so far. When Einstein gave us space-time, while "time" itself is not an illusion, the "flow" or change of time certainly is.... it's all there, the past, present and the future... It is what it is until we prove it otherwise...

Over the course of six days you said... so on the seventh day, he rested?
Old 10-29-2020, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Charles, fantastic post. I enjoyed reading it and thinking over the philosophical meaning. Given the fact that science is still fluid when it comes to unlocking all the secrets of the universe, we do have some theories that seem to work so far. When Einstein gave us space-time, while "time" itself is not an illusion, the "flow" or change of time certainly is.... it's all there, the past, present and the future... It is what it is until we prove it otherwise...

Over the course of six days you said... so on the seventh day, he rested?
Serge I appreciate your enthusiasm so much. You have energy and curiosity. You remind me of Hadrian. Tertullian proclaimed him omnium curiositatum explorator, an explorer of everything interesting.

Just to be clear, the house mentioned in my previous post could exist by means of a series of events creating the memory, which is the finished house. Or it could exist by means of a pure output (memory) with no preceding events whatsoever.

Physics has made a critical mistake. It has assumed that every memory requires an event to precede it. The solar system as we know it could have been formed by a series of natural events over the last 4.6 billion years or exist as an output/memory with no proceeding events whatsoever.

In either the case of the house or solar system there would be no test science could conduct to tell the difference.

Most folks think in terms of events. I think in terms of memories. If you have a hot burner on a stove. If you accidentally place your hand on it you could receive a second or third degree burn. Why? Because of the time lag between the event and the brain's ability to create the memory that causes you to remove your hand.

That's how reality works. We believe the event by means of the memories it creates. These memories are created by our brain. This in no way means the Universe is an illusion or that time is an illusion. It does mean that we experience the events occurring within Universe by means of memory and that everything we see feel touch hear taste smell, no exceptions, are memories.

There is no theoretical reason that a memory must be preceded by an event. However, we have been conditioned to think that way. Physics is based on causality. It sees the solar system and believes something inside our Universe "caused" it, i.e. a series of natural events over 4.6 billion years.

I see the solar system and believe that nothing inside our Universe "caused" it. I believe it existed as a pure instantaneous output or memory.

Best

Charles

p.s. I'll have more to say about this but in terms of degree of difficulty, it would be far more difficult to output/create a non coded DNA molecule than our solar system or the entire uninhabited non organic physical Universe.

Last edited by Charles; 10-29-2020 at 12:58 PM.