AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 02-20-2011, 07:24 PM

Having a hi end stereo store is as much about building a relationship with the buyer as it is about finding a reasonable price you can both agree on. I have found that since people can now shop price on the internet which has no doubt affected sales to brick and morter stores that many stores I have been to have a attitude ….but it now or get out. I can understand that attitude as they have to make a living. Someone we all know and love is succesful in this buisness because he takes the time to build relationships with his customers, offers excellant service and does not insist on list retail pricing.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:55 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
Having a hi end stereo store is as much about building a relationship with the buyer as it is about finding a reasonable price you can both agree on. I have found that since people can now shop price on the internet which has no doubt affected sales to brick and morter stores that many stores I have been to have a attitude ….but it now or get out. I can understand that attitude as they have to make a living.
Interesting view point. Most of the best dealers out there continue to cultivate relationships. But when a customer leads with price, essentially saying that the investment a dealer has made so that said customer can actually hear product, actually means nothing to said customer, it's a bit hard to form a relationship. In that situation, dealers can be a bit abrupt.

Price customers are pretty much price customers. Always have been. Always will be. You can make a price customer out of a relationship customer but rarely does it go the other way around.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:31 AM
Semi-audiophile

As part of my TV hunt a few years ago, I went to Innovative Audio. I first experienced the store in its original Brooklyn location and made several purchases there over several years. The store is now in midtown, of course, with a different cast than when I shopped there. Arriving, I was clear up front that I wasn't there to buy, but to see what they had to offer. It was a great experience, as the salesman took real time with me, explored what I was looking for, did a demo with me, discussed the philsophy and principles behind the process of selecting something—and I wasn't there to buy anything.

Needless to say, I was impressed—and wrote an e-mail thanking them. I didn't expect to be there for almost an hour. Would it be the same if I went there now? I'm not sure, but I'd like to think so.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
Interesting view point. Most of the best dealers out there continue to cultivate relationships. But when a customer leads with price, essentially saying that the investment a dealer has made so that said customer can actually hear product, actually means nothing to said customer, it's a bit hard to form a relationship. In that situation, dealers can be a bit abrupt.

Price customers are pretty much price customers. Always have been. Always will be. You can make a price customer out of a relationship customer but rarely does it go the other way around.
With the advent of the internet the consumer is more educated so succesful dealers know how to remove the competition by being competative. I will give a example, I have a local camera store who sells everything the same price as B&H without you even having to ask. Needless to say he has a thriving buisness because he also gives great service. I never have to question his price; he does this for all his customers so no need for any negotiation. This leads to word of mouth recommendations which is free advertising and is the best way to build any buisness. When my son was graduating from high school 3 years ago I went in to buy a telephoto lens and he said just borrow mine. I have purchased 4 DSLR camera's and 7 or 8 lens from him the last 4 years so it felt good to be appreciated even if I was still only one of his average customers . Needless to say I just bought a new DSLR and lens from him in November.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:10 AM
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
With the advent of the internet the consumer is more educated so succesful dealers know how to remove the competition by being competative. I will give a example, I have a local camera store who sells everything the same price as B&H without you even having to ask. Needless to say he has a thriving buisness because he also gives great service. I never have to question his price; he does this for all his customers so no need for any negotiation. This leads to word of mouth recommendations which is free advertising and is the best way to build any buisness. When my son was graduating from high school 3 years ago I went in to buy a telephoto lens and he said just borrow mine. I have purchased 4 DSLR camera's and 7 or 8 lens from him the last 4 years so it felt good to be appreciated even if I was still only one of his average customers . Needless to say I just bought a new DSLR and lens from him in November.
Great example, very cool
Unison Research Sinfonia Anniversary. McIntosh D100 > Bluesound Node2i > Tidal. Clearaudio Performance DC. Gold Note PH-10, Gold Note PSU-10. Isol-8 InLine. Shunyata Research Hydra Delta D6. Wireworld. Acoustic Zen. Audioquest. Klipsch Cornwall III.

Greg
Old 02-21-2011, 10:18 AM
Lower Provo River, UT

Local hands on demonstration of the products you are considering, good personalized service, word of mouth and internet prices?

Maybe you can open a hifi store like that.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:59 AM

Location: Constitution State. Formerly known as the Nutmeg State

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
Local hands on demonstration of the products you are considering, good personalized service, word of mouth and internet prices?

Maybe you can open a hifi store like that.
I bet you'd have trouble covering the rent that way. A mix of internet, and in store purchases is probably the best of both worlds.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by two dot View Post
I'll also make a plug for In-Living Stereo... they carry a lot of brands thats I respect.

In Living Stereo
+1. In living Stereo is a Gem. The owner is a great guy.

I have been to most audio stores in Manhattan and Stereo Exchange would be the last store I would buy something from. I just do not feel comfortable dealing with them.

Joe

Last edited by joe1515; 02-21-2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
As part of my TV hunt a few years ago, I went to Innovative Audio. I first experienced the store in its original Brooklyn location and made several purchases there over several years. The store is now in midtown, of course, with a different cast than when I shopped there. Arriving, I was clear up front that I wasn't there to buy, but to see what they had to offer. It was a great experience, as the salesman took real time with me, explored what I was looking for, did a demo with me, discussed the philsophy and principles behind the process of selecting something—and I wasn't there to buy anything.

Needless to say, I was impressed—and wrote an e-mail thanking them. I didn't expect to be there for almost an hour. Would it be the same if I went there now? I'm not sure, but I'd like to think so.
I had a very similiar experiance a few months back. I stopped in there to audition the new B&W 804di's and the sales person could not have been more helpful and nice. No pressure at all.

Joe