AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 11-19-2011, 06:34 PM

Default Devore Nines

Before the Shindo Petite Latours I ran the Devore Nines. It took quite a leap of faith to trade them in with Matt--as you know there aren't many reviews out there on the PL's. I'm a pretty boring audiophile--I stick pretty closely to what Mr. Rotunda has to recommend. (But the end result is not boring I promise you that...)
Old 11-20-2011, 12:42 PM

Yes given that there aren't many reviews of the Latours we would appreciate it if you could give us your impressions and thoughts. I've heard the 9s so maybe you could compare the two?
Old 11-20-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyc View Post
Yes given that there aren't many reviews of the Latours we would appreciate it if you could give us your impressions and thoughts. I've heard the 9s so maybe you could compare the two?
Yes, definitely. I'd love to see this too.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:04 PM

Unfortunately, IMHO, there is no comparison.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:23 PM

Default Petite Latours and Devore Nines

It is hard to compare these two speakers because I truly think they are both great performers in similar ways. Before I purchased the PL's I was bugging Matt to make this comparison for me as well and he kept talking about the weight and tonality and increased dimension the PL's would deliver. True, true and true. (And a lot more...) The Nines are a very involving speaker; the PL's approach that scary place where you don't really feel a speaker is involved.

The PL's are fast and detailed and big and alive and true to the recorded information. This thing about weight and tonality--a meaty, musical presence really--is obviously a key design element for Mr. Shindo. My guess is it is what single driver speakers are all about and what grabs you by the lapels when you're listening.

Technically, the PL's do go much below 30hz and may be a little rolled off on top. But they play music in a visceral, living way that makes it very hard to think about these things. With the Nines I was often aware of what the speaker doing, albeit very well...
Old 11-20-2011, 03:14 PM

Well said.

I love my DeVores but they are NOT Petite Latours...
Old 11-20-2011, 04:30 PM

This is not intended to be critical of anyone here, but rather just the expression of my frustration with this endeavor... Finding some easy qualifying comparative analysis of the equipment is like trying to hold on to the wind. So like so many of you here, I wonder about this or that upgrade. Should I move from this line to that line. It's befuddling! I just wish it was easier to understand the value for your buck. And whether the increase in cost is truly appreciable and justifiable.

In any event, I find myself reading these forums like tea leaves hoping to sort through the fog. A good dealer helps, too. But there is so much to still consider and figure out for yourself in terms of real and actual appreciation.

I hope to shed some light in a lay person's context on some of that with a leben to Shindo comparison, but that is still a limited sampling and analysis. So much to consider and so much that is subjective! I just wish we all could gain an understanding that was more easily comprehensible.

Sent from my mobile device using A.Aficionado
Old 11-20-2011, 07:23 PM

Default comparisons

Look forward to reading how you handle your Leben/Shindo comparison, FranklinLG.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinLG View Post
Finding some easy qualifying comparative analysis of the equipment is like trying to hold on to the wind.
Reading reviews and people's thoughts on what they're hearing, in the context of how they're hearing it, is very interesting in and of itself. This is a hobby where we're trying to eke out that next little bit of performance. There are tons of different approaches to getting that next little bit of realism out of our systems, and it's very informative to read what people have to say about that.

However...don't get frustrated by having of goal of determining a "winner". For some reason, we're always looking for winners and losers everywhere in life - but in this hobby, at the level that we're discussing on this board, there are no losers. It can be very hard to decide on a "best", when different gear presents a different focus on what of music's reality is the key to it feeling "real". And different people have different opinions on what is the key (is it tonality? dynamics? bass slam?) - and none of the opinions are wrong, because what we are discussing is not objective in nature.

So...while the Leben and Shindo will sound different (if more similar than if either was compared with a Bryston, for example)...there is no objectivity here in terms of declaring something "better".

When I read that you can't really compare Shindo and Devore speakers...that makes sense to me. I've never heard a Shindo speaker, and no amount of written words can have me understand the emotional impact of hearing music on PL's, much as I can't understand the emotional impact of a live performance by performers I've yet to see. However, like that musical performance I have yet to see, it's still fun to read what hearing those speakers drives people to write about them.

If you know what I mean.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countingbackwards

Reading reviews and people's thoughts on what they're hearing, in the context of how they're hearing it, is very interesting in and of itself. This is a hobby where we're trying to eke out that next little bit of performance. There are tons of different approaches to getting that next little bit of realism out of our systems, and it's very informative to read what people have to say about that.

However...don't get frustrated by having of goal of determining a "winner". For some reason, we're always looking for winners and losers everywhere in life - but in this hobby, at the level that we're discussing on this board, there are no losers. It can be very hard to decide on a "best", when different gear presents a different focus on what of music's reality is the key to it feeling "real". And different people have different opinions on what is the key (is it tonality? dynamics? bass slam?) - and none of the opinions are wrong, because what we are discussing is not objective in nature.

So...while the Leben and Shindo will sound different (if more similar than if either was compared with a Bryston, for example)...there is no objectivity here in terms of declaring something "better".

When I read that you can't really compare Shindo and Devore speakers...that makes sense to me. I've never heard a Shindo speaker, and no amount of written words can have me understand the emotional impact of hearing music on PL's, much as I can't understand the emotional impact of a live performance by performers I've yet to see. However, like that musical performance I have yet to see, it's still fun to read what hearing those speakers drives people to write about them.

If you know what I mean.
Two thumbs up!! I know what you mean!