AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 10-28-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
yes, that was my point and yes evaluating audio equipment can take longer.

again, my point is if someone is going to express 'huge' differences that in fact it does not require 'days' to notice that !
I have only encountered a couple of "huge" differences when comparing components in my system over the years. The ones I can think of are; 1) replacing my MBL 111F's with the X2 S2's. They are very different sounding speakers and I won't say one is better than the other but the differences are significant. 2) when I replaced the 1.2k's with my Momentum amps. I actually had to check to see if I had my Mac amps had been wired wrong ll along. 3) the last is not a comparison but when I inserted the Shunyata Denali 6000T. These three changes were easy to hear.

Many but not all of the other comparisons took time and I would often have to go back and forth using the same passages to identify differences. They seldom fell into the "night and day" or "huge differences" category. Sometimes these differences were so subtle that even after being able to identify them during A/B tests I might not have been able to tell you which was in use if I just walked into the room with the music playing.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
when I inserted the Shunyata Denali 6000T. .
Do you use this just for your pre and sources or also your power amps?
Old 10-28-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
I have only encountered a couple of "huge" differences when comparing components in my system over the years. The ones I can think of are; 1) replacing my MBL 111F's with the X2 S2's. They are very different sounding speakers and I won't say one is better than the other but the differences are significant. 2) when I replaced the 1.2k's with my Momentum amps. I actually had to check to see if I had my Mac amps had been wired wrong ll along. 3) the last is not a comparison but when I inserted the Shunyata Denali 6000T. These three changes were easy to hear.

Many but not all of the other comparisons took time and I would often have to go back and forth using the same passages to identify differences. They seldom fell into the "night and day" or "huge differences" category. Sometimes these differences were so subtle that even after being able to identify them during A/B tests I might not have been able to tell you which was in use if I just walked into the room with the music playing.
Jim, while speakers are typically a rather obvious change and most noticeable, modern, well made amplifiers are not. I have to agree with you that the D’Agostino Momentum Monos were one of those epiphany moments in my system as well. Everything I have owned and heard before that time simply did not compare. They were the pinnacle of my system and shall always remain in my memories.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:07 AM

I have new to me Mac c2300 and mc402 coming. What is the best power cord to get that has the most gains but doesn’t get over the top expensive. There has to be a point where there is like a 75% gain and everything after that you’re spending hundreds of dollars for incremental gains.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric-E View Post
I could never believe a power cord could make a difference. However, when Audio Advisors came out with the Pangea at such a ridiculously low price I had to give one a try.

I put one on my VPI Classic 2 tt And noticed an immediate improvement. The bass tightened and the “pop” at shut off was reduced or gone (it varies). I slowly replaced all my cords with Pangea. (I have a Mac 275 and C200
This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. The power cord on a TT simply powers a motor that spins the platter. It has nothing to do with the signal path. Unplug your power cable, remove the belt from the TT and spin the platter by hand. You'll hear sound. The VPI Classics use an AC synchronous motor so the speed is controlled by the 60Hz of the power line. How do you propose that a power cable somehow made the platter spin in a manner that tightened the bass?
Old 11-26-2017, 05:59 PM

I don’t understand why changing the last 3 feet of power cord would make a huge difference? In my room the electric panel has 3 feet going to my PPP AC regenerater and 2 feet of power cord to my components from the PPP.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:09 PM
McKlipschead

Default Does your McIntosh benefit from fancy power cables?

It’s the first 3 feet your system interfaces with, fun and easy to experiment.

Last edited by bradleyc; 11-26-2017 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:55 AM

So i finally demoed the Nordost Blue Heaven Power Cord (around 200 usd) comparing with the original of the MA6700 amp... and yes i could hear difference... i guess more "power" is the word.. hehe

I will buy it this month.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:44 AM
Bun E. Carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maks View Post
This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. The power cord on a TT simply powers a motor that spins the platter. It has nothing to do with the signal path. Unplug your power cable, remove the belt from the TT and spin the platter by hand. You'll hear sound. The VPI Classics use an AC synchronous motor so the speed is controlled by the 60Hz of the power line. How do you propose that a power cable somehow made the platter spin in a manner that tightened the bass?
Makes,
I tend to agree with you....a few miles of crap romex routed through your home...then all of a sudden the last 4' make a difference????
JMHO.....I think you can spend $1000 on "better tweaks" to improve the sound quality of your system. Note, this comment is coming from a guy who has all WW power cables. For instance, HRS products. I've added several vibration dampening products in my system (thank you Ivan) and have noticed small improvements. I particularly like the improvement I gained by a HRS dampening plate positioned on top of my MCT450 transport. Let's face it, when things "get cranking," stuff vibrates.

Last edited by JWJW; 01-03-2018 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWJW View Post
Makes,
I tend to agree with you....a few miles of crap romex routed through your home...then all of a sudden the last 4' make a difference????

One can also argue that the last 4’ is actually the first 4’.