AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wyred 4 Sound

Wyred 4 Sound Rediscover Your Music

Old 04-02-2010, 05:46 AM
Against the Tide

Default Wyred4Sound's New DAC from 6moons.com

From 6moon.com

April 2010 - EJ goes 24/192 async USB - Wyred4Sound's new DAC comes in two flavors, DAC1 [$999] and DAC2 [$1.499]. Both run the ESS 9018 Sabre32 Reference 32-bit DAC and modular boards for future improvements. Both run automatic 500kHz oversampling, a fully balanced circuit with XLR and RCA outputs, an oversized power toroid and a 35A bridge-rectified power supply with 88.000uF of capacitive filtering. The DAC1 gets 2 x coax and 2 x optical inputs, a 16/48 USB input and an LCD display for input and sample rate confirmation. The DAC2 adds defeatable 32-bit remote volume, a VFD display, HT bypass inputs, 1 x XLR input, 1 x balanced I-squared-S on HDMI input, a 24/192 async USB input and Wyred4Sound's own low ESR 'super caps' in the power supply just like the STP-SE preamp. The DAC1 begins shipping April 9, the DAC2 April 23.

W4S DAC-1

• Automatic 500kHz oversampling (done in the ESS chip)
  • Upgradable Analog board (for future improvements)
  • Upgradable Digital board (for future improvements)
  • Discrete output stage offering exceptional sonics
  • ESS Reference audio (ES9018) 32 bit DAC
  • ESS Time Domain Jitter Eliminator®
  • Fully balanced design
Standard 16-bit 44.1kHz USB input

Asynchronous 24-bit 192kHz USB input upgrade option
I2S balanced input using an HDMI cable(optional / PS Audio standard)
2x Coax inputs

2x Optical input

AES / EBU input

Please check back for updates as they become available.

DAC-1 = $1,199 DAC-1 with 24/192 USB = $1,499
Old 05-14-2010, 07:41 PM

Here is what I posted on another board about the DAC-1.

Quote:
Two nights ago, I initially heard the W4S DAC-1 at a friend's place. His gear initially consisted of an Ayon Crossfire integrated amp, Ayon CD-2, and a pair of Sonist Concerto 2's. Later on we added a pair of Acoustic Zen Crescendos bi-amped with a Wyred 4 Sound ST-500 on the bottom. At that time, the unit had only about 20 hours of play time on it. I was told that it was a little bright out of the box, but it went away within the first few hours or so.

As for what we listened to, I couldn't tell you for the most part other than it was Ayon's reference CD, something we've been using as reference material for the last few months. It contains various jazz and blues tracks, a few instrumentals and a couple of tracks from Clapton.

With hardly any break in time on the DAC-1, I was impressed. Very extended on both ends, little to no coloration, excellent attack and decay, with huge dynamics. What impressed me the most was the amount of slam! Bass was powerful and tight, never sloppy. Instruments had the right amount of air around them. And the soundstage was huge, very tall with plenty of width and depth.

Compared to the Ayon CD-2, the biggest difference was in the midrange. The Ayon had more tube bloom, as it should for being a tubed CDP. Some male vocals were slightly larger too. But I found the DAC-1 had better attack and decay, more slam, and a slightly taller soundstage.

My friend graciously let me borrow the DAC-1 as long as I promised to keep breaking it in. From the moment I arrived home, it's been receiving a constant feed from either my Marantz SA-15S2 or Squeezebox Duet.

I did some quick listening that evening, but it wasn't until late last night that I was able to do any serious listening. At that point the unit had about 48 hours on it. My rig, consisting of the DAC-1, Marantz SA-15S2, Wyred 4 Sound ST-500, Mapletree Line 2A(modified with Sonic Cap platinum and Jensen caps, Goldpoint stepped attenuator, and other misc. tweaks) custom 3 way speakers, and misc. bass traps and diffusors. It may be quite humble compared to my friend's, but is still a force to be reckoned with.

Using the same reference CD that was used an evening earlier, I compared the DAC-1 to my Marantz SA-15S2. Fortunately, the Marantz and DAC-1 output voltages were very similar, so level matching wasn't an issue...or so I thought. Immediately I noticed the DAC-1 was more extended on the top end, which is no surprise since the SA-15S2 is known for it's rolled off, or warm top end. The DAC-1 also had much better dynamics, which caused me to get up and lower the volume on a few occasions due to the fear of waking up my neighbors 100' away! Attack and decay were also better with the DAC-1, and so was overall detail, without even a hint of harshness. As for differences in imaging and soundstage, in my room they were subtle at best, with the DAC-1 having the edge.

To wrap things up, the Wyred 4 Sound DAC-1 appears to be all I could ask for from a DAC. Excellent extension, attack and decay, huge dynamics, little to no coloration, and without a hint of harshness. As my friend Raife would say, "Such Good Sound".
FYI, I have a W4S DAC-2 on order.

HT: Marantz AV7005, W4S Mini MC-5, Custom Waveguide Towers, SVSPB12-Plus/2
Old 05-14-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face View Post

Nice review Face.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:05 PM

Thanks!

Old 05-14-2010, 09:55 PM

Thanks Face.

Those folks are making some pretty incredible gear...

Something to watch, for sure.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:45 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Face.......I enjoyed reading your review. I would sure like to compare the W4S DAC-1 using the MCD500 as a transport, while A/B auditioning the MCD500 analog output to the W4S DAC-1 analog output. My interest is in hearing if the new ESS Sabre32 Reference 32-bit DAC in the W4S DAC-1 offers an improvement in sound over the MCD500's ESS Reference 24-bit dual quad DAC. The price is right, and if W4S-DAC-1 is a genuine step up in analog audio performance, I might be interested in one, maybe even two to use with my MCD500's.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 05-15-2010, 09:52 PM

Face:

Totally agree with the statement below. Especially the tall, wide, and deep soundstage.

With hardly any break in time on the DAC-1, I was impressed. Very extended on both ends, little to no coloration, excellent attack and decay, with huge dynamics. What impressed me the most was the amount of slam! Bass was powerful and tight, never sloppy. Instruments had the right amount of air around them. And the soundstage was huge, very tall with plenty of width and depth.

Have been listening to the DAC-1 for the last two weeks.

mP
Old 06-04-2010, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face View Post

So Face how is the Dac-2 sound and compare to the Dac1?
Shunyata Research Sigma USB and Ethernet
Argento Audio speaker cables and interconnects
Old 06-04-2010, 12:45 PM

Still haven't received my DAC-2, it should be here soon though. Fortunately, I still have a DAC-1 here.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:40 PM

I have a DAC 2 on order as well, but did not get my order in as early as Face. So I imagine I will be waiting a while for it to arrive. Based on feedback from the DAC 1 it sounds like it will be worth the wait.