AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magico

Magico Extreme Fidelity

Old 02-07-2016, 09:57 AM

Thanks for the feedback, audiomania.

My S3s are being delivered next week and I can barely wait. Glad to hear that positioning them was fairly forgiving for you as my listening room is on the small side.

I will be driving my speakers with the MSB S200 class A stereo amp.

I auditioned the S3 against the KEF Blade 2 and Focal Sopra No. 2. The Blade sounded 'nice', but didn't have the layered texture or quite the resolution of the S3. The Sopra good. In fact, the first 60 seconds of listening to the Sopra was very compelling. However, it quickly thereafter became clear that the slower bass and less resolving capability put it behind the others.

The S3 simply sounded close to real music to me.
Magico S3 + SPODS / Pass XA-60.8 / MSB Analog DAC + MQA / Aurender X100 + Kenneth Lau LPS / Kubala Sosna Emotion speaker cable / WW PE7 interconnects / WW PS7 USB / A-P PS-6 / MSB Isolation Base / Kubala Sosna Emotion power cables / 30amp dedicated lines / GIK / Stillpoints / Mapleshade
Old 02-08-2016, 09:47 AM

I spent a good part of the weekend listening to the S3s. I was not necessarily impressed the first time I put them into action but it wasn't long before I said WOW! I think I was very much used to the sound/performance of the MA Golds I was using prior to the S3s. For me, it is a process of adapting to these new speakers. To be sure, it took me some time to adapt to the Golds when I first got them. Given that the S3s are nearly 2 to 3 x the size of the Gold 200s, there is just a difference in the sound they produce. I not sure how to describe it but maybe the S3 have a richer/deeper..more weighty sound...bigger sound stage and not fatiguing in anyway.

Last edited by corgidog59; 02-11-2016 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:52 PM

Welp... Figure I'll post another update now that I'm at the 100hr or so mark.

The speakers have started to fill out quite a bit more now in terms of soundstage density,width and depth. The sound is much more "detached" from the cabinet now then it was in prior hours of use.

The center image is very strong and focused now and bass has started to make itself more known on familiar tracks. These things are Fast!

I've already caught myself forgetting that I'm listening to a box speaker and remain fully occupied and entertained by the new details present throughout the soundstage.

Human voices both Male and Female continue to impress me with their realistic sense of thereness and I'm confident that this aspect of the speakers character will not get old for a very long time.

Lastly, I continue to find myself wanting to bury the volume knob on the PreAmp (even though I have not done so) due to how clean and clear everything sounds. Absolutely zero hash, harshness or fatigue to report thus far.

Man I'm liking these bad boys

More to come later
Old 03-02-2016, 02:26 PM

I found that the S3s a very comfortable speaker to listen to for long periods of time...smooth and not fatiguing to the ears. I am well under the 100 hour mark of listening. I hope they continue to get better the more I use them.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:00 PM

Hello,

I figured I would post this info in case any other S3 owners were interested.

I recently purchased a full set of Stillpoint Ultra SS with proper adapters to try under my S3's as feet but ended up finding out the hard way that the factory spike is basically permanently attached to the outrigger legs. I say "basically" because according to Magico the spike is attached using Lok-tite (I'm guessing the ugly Red Stuff) and would probably require the application of heat, prying and twisting in a vice to remove the damn thing ultimately resulting in a trashed outrigger at the minimum

After a few mins of cursing and attempting to man handle the Spike and Knob I gave up and ended using the Stillpoints in another part of my system instead.

I requested a price on a set of Outriggers without the Spike installed after speaking to someone on the phone about this issue (who didn’t sound thrilled with what I was attempting to do...with MY speaker). Still haven’t heard anything back and wont be holding my breath for that call

So I guess all wasn’t lost in the end but a very annoying outcome nonetheless. I wonder if the outcome would have been different if I called and said I was looking to install one of Magico's new fancy flavour of feet $$$$ they offer
Old 09-19-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomania View Post
Hello, I figured I would post this info in case any other S3 owners were interested. I recently purchased a full set of Stillpoint Ultra SS with proper adapters to try under my S3's as feet but ended up finding out the hard way that the factory spike is basically permanently attached to the outrigger legs. I say "basically" because according to Magico the spike is attached using Lok-tite (I'm guessing the ugly Red Stuff) and would probably require the application of heat, prying and twisting in a vice to remove the damn thing ultimately resulting in a trashed outrigger at the minimum After a few mins of cursing and attempting to man handle the Spike and Knob I gave up and ended using the Stillpoints in another part of my system instead. I requested a price on a set of Outriggers without the Spike installed after speaking to someone on the phone about this issue (who didn’t sound thrilled with what I was attempting to do...with MY speaker). Still haven’t heard anything back and wont be holding my breath for that call So I guess all wasn’t lost in the end but a very annoying outcome nonetheless. I wonder if the outcome would have been different if I called and said I was looking to install one of Magico's new fancy flavour of feet $$$$ they offer
I tried to do the same on my S1 too. One way is to remove all four legs or the outriggers completely. Yes the spikes and nuts
Cannot be removed from outriggers.

Toga