AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > ModWright Instruments

ModWright Instruments Elegance. Simplicity. Truth.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:37 PM

Default Modwright v Mac

Hi

First post here, I currently am pre less , i have been running my cd straight into the power amp as it has a volume control . I have been looking at pre amp options and i have to admit Mcintosh has caught my eye both visually and sound wise.

But Modwright is now available in the uk and i based on price i have to consider it but getting a demo may not be easy , i currently have a c2300 on loan , so my question has anyone on here had experience of both pre's

Thanks
Old 03-12-2013, 07:06 PM
Merry Christmas to all

twg1.......Welcome to Audio Aficionado. Your Aficionado banner looks super. Thanks for supporting the great forum right from the start.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 03-13-2013, 11:10 AM
The Architect

twg1 - welcome!

I will go ahead and comment on your question. I have heard both preamps, although not in the same system/at the same time. I am very familiar with both of them, and either one is a solid choice. What is the rest of your equipment? The best option would be for you to get a hold of a demo LS100 (assume that is the MWI you are looking at) and compare them side by side.

My view is that the LS100 is the better sounding preamp overall. The C2300 wins on aesthetics and features (tone controls, switching phono cartridge loading via remote, and definitely a more fully featured remote). The LS100 has the option for either the MC/MM phono module OR a DAC module depending on what your needs are. Of course the new McIntosh C2500 has both if you want to have both. I believe the LS100 has the better phono section based on my experience with both units and others feedback that I trust. I came very close to buying a C2300, but decided to hear the LS100 in my system. I am very happy that I went that route from a sound quality perspective. Hope that helps...
JL Audio F113 subs with CR-1 Crossover
Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC (Analog 2 + Unison USB)
Sonore Ultrarendu with Uptone Audio LPS-1.2
Uptone Audio EtherREGEN network switch with LPS-1.2
Oppo UDP-205 with ModWright Signature Truth Tube Modifications
Clearaudio Performance SE TT with Hana ML MC cartridge
ModWright PH 9.0x Phono Stage
ASC & RealTraps Panels; APS PurePower 2000; Daedalus Audio DiDs
LAT International, Shunyata, Wireworld, WyWires Cables
Old 03-13-2013, 11:13 AM
From the BAT cave ...

twg1, welcome and thanks for your support!
Old 03-13-2013, 01:58 PM

The rest of the system is Art Neo 10's , Leema acoustics' hydra II Power amp and antila II eco cd player and lastly LP12 Turntable.

The Mac retail is best part of £6500 in the uk i have been offered an ex demo one but that is still over a £1000 more than a new LS100.

Keith
Old 03-13-2013, 02:24 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Keith.......I own the McIntosh C2300, and in my opinion it is worth the price difference over the LS100. It would be good to hear both before making a purchase decision. The C2300 sounds wonderful and has many additional features not found on the ModWright preamp. Just my opinion.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 08-03-2013, 07:28 AM

I had the LS-100 in my rig and it was fantastic. Very organic sounding with super mid range clarity...almost liquid sounding to me. I actually had it paired up with the KWI-200 integrated. Incredible. I just wish it had tone controls and a true tape loop, which is why I have a Luxman now.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:46 AM

Hallo twg1,
welcome.

For ME the ModWright wins hands down vs. Mcintosh.

a combo Kwa150(sig.edit.) with a pre PS 36.5 Power Supply is a great system.

The pre Mc 2500 is better vs. the ModWright 36.5 whitout power supply but a power ampli from Mcintosh (452 or so like that) dont have nothing to do with a Kwa150 signature edit.)

1. if you will change in the next 1-3 years the ModWright you loss a lot of $$, Sell a Mcintosh is like selling an Apple, you go have always $$ but you purchase for quality without looking at the used market then only for the quality? I search quality, I purchase what sound "good" not othes.

2. a synergy with a Pre Mintosh and a power ampli ModWright is all to be tested......

bst rgds Style
Old 08-05-2013, 05:23 AM
Bodhisattva

Quote:
Originally Posted by twg1 View Post
Hi

First post here, I currently am pre less , i have been running my cd straight into the power amp as it has a volume control . I have been looking at pre amp options and i have to admit Mcintosh has caught my eye both visually and sound wise.

But Modwright is now available in the uk and i based on price i have to consider it but getting a demo may not be easy , i currently have a c2300 on loan , so my question has anyone on here had experience of both pre's

Thanks
Twg1, for the support by becoming an Aficionado
Old 01-17-2014, 08:36 PM

I have a pr. of the MW kwa 150's and a Mac ma 6900. The sound of the MW's on my Vapor Audio speaks is almost as good as the Apogee Stages with just the Mac, which just show's that the speakers are still the most important piece in a system other than the music itself.