AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 06-19-2012, 06:25 AM

Kev - It took me ages to knit me a pair of panels this big... though I knew the minute I mentioned ML I was in trouble.

Think that whatever electronics you are stashing away up there would be much easier to bring here than taking the 20.7's up to your place...just thinking out loud... maybe when those extra cobras you have coming finally land.

Thanks Mike - first impressions are real good

Last edited by audiot servant; 06-19-2012 at 06:32 AM.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:34 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiot servant View Post
It has the new maggie 20.7's thinking they are actually the illegitmate love child of a pair of Tannoy Westminsters and Martin Logan CLX's the way they sound at the moment
Graham.......Very creative analogy. Made me smile when I read it.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 06-19-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Graham.......Very creative analogy. Made me smile when I read it.
Many thanks Dan, great thing about this place is there is always someone on it somewhere over the moon happy, getting some great new piece of gear or hearing some new piece of music, or just enjoying something or someone in their lives that has nothing to do with gear, music or anything at all in particular... it's like taking turns sharing the joy and adventure... always nice to be able to share in the load and the joy.

Graham
Old 07-04-2012, 08:16 PM

Utterly irresistible a bit like Pandora's box I opened the Shunyata Cyclops up to see inside and all I that found was some neat star wiring and a Higgs Boson particle... oh, yeah, and hope

just kiddin... I wouldn't even attempt to open the mighty magical Cyclops in case some of the magic got away... this simple elegant box is just pure and clear... clarity, clarity, clarity.

What is obvious that inside are the particles of Shunyata magic derived from probably countless hours of working and listening to develop their take on the state of the art.

After living with the Cyclops for a few weeks it has re-set my thoughts on possible levels of resolution here (along with the Maggie 20.7s) and has really taken me to another place musically. I was expecting 'upgrade' but am probably getting something a bit closer to 'transform'.

Will take time over the next week to get a more proper comparison with the Hydra as planned (and also going amp direct into the wall) but based on purely subjective listening pleasure levels at this early point in time the sexy little stainless steel wonder is establishing itself in nature as the audio equivalent of a modestly small Hadron Collider... even after just two weeks I now really couldn't/wouldn't imagine my system without it.

I have no doubts that this is a very tasty option for getting reference level power-conditioning at a less than stratospheric reference price. Don't know what is inside the box, but it's whats inside the music that counts... and I am getting so very, very much more of that right now... yes, am much loving the Shunyata Cyclops.

Graham

Last edited by audiot servant; 07-05-2012 at 12:10 AM.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiot servant
Utterly irresistible just like Pandora's box I opened the Shunyata Cyclops up to see inside and all I found was some neat star wiring and a Higgs Boson particle... oh, and hope.

just kiddin... I wouldn't even attempt to open the magical mighty Cyclops just in case some of the magic got away... this simple elegant box is just pure and clear... clarity clarity clarity... what is actually inside are particles of Shunyata magic from clearly countless hours of working and listening to develop the state of the art.

After a few weeks with the Cyclops it has set for my system a new level of resolution (along with the Maggie 20.7s) that has certainly taken me to another place musically. I was expecting 'upgrade' but am getting something a bit closer to 'transform'.

I will get time over the next week to get a more proper comparison with the Hydra as planned (and also going amp direct into the wall) but just on purely subjective listening pleasure at this early point the sexy little stainless wonder is establishing itself as the audio equivalent of a modestly small Hadron Collider... even after just two weeks I really wouldn't imagine my system without it now.

I have no doubts that this is a very tasty option for reference level power at a less than stratospheric reference price. Actually don't know what is inside the box, but it's what is inside the music that counts... and I am getting so much more of that right now... yes, am very much loving Shunyata Cyclops.

Graham
Graham...yes they have landed. I pick my pair up tomorrow. Looking forward to it. Demo cables in another week AFTER BURN IN TIME. (I get 4-5 days). Things appear to be back on track.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPal View Post
Graham...yes they have landed. I pick my pair up tomorrow. Looking forward to it. Demo cables in another week AFTER BURN IN TIME. (I get 4-5 days). Things appear to be back on track.
Steve - Brilliant, I really hope they work the magic there mate, you'll definitely want to hear the conditioners with the Zitron power cables IMO... it's clearly a system. Will be good to hear your thoughts on Cyclops in regard to Talos as well.

Great news n happy listening
Graham.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:14 PM

Graham,

I'm eager to hear what your amp sounds like direct to the wall versus through the cyclops. As you may recall, I run my Anaconda Zitron directly to the wall. I certainly can't afford a Cyclops plus another Anaconda to take it to the mains. I wonder if a mere Cobra in the chain would make the
Cyclops better than my current configuration. I assume the Cyclops requires a C19 like all the other Shunyata conditioners.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiot servant

Steve - Brilliant, I really hope they work the magic there mate, you'll definitely want to hear the conditioners with the Zitron power cables IMO... it's clearly a system. Will be good to hear your thoughts on Cyclops in regard to Talos as well.

Great news n happy listening
Graham.
Graham... I'm currently burning in with a fan. I'll do this until demo runs arrive.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhiner View Post
Graham,

I'm eager to hear what your amp sounds like direct to the wall versus through the cyclops. As you may recall, I run my Anaconda Zitron directly to the wall. I certainly can't afford a Cyclops plus another Anaconda to take it to the mains. I wonder if a mere Cobra in the chain would make the
Cyclops better than my current configuration. I assume the Cyclops requires a C19 like all the other Shunyata conditioners.
Vance, Nice avatar...

Because my Cobra is a C19 as the feed to the Cyclops I will have to wait till I can borrow a C19 to C15 connector to run the amp straight into the wall to compare... hoping for this when I am get some Anaconda signal cables and other Shunyata pcs in for a try shortly.

But even then I'm not sure that what I find here will help you that much. I'd be thinking that you have already determined in your gear that your Classe amp goes best through Anaconda Zitron straight to wall rather than through your Triton for your system.

I'm not sure in that case that your Anaconda at front going into your Triton wouldn't just trump the Cobra I have here as feed into Cyclops and cancel out any possible advantage that the Cyclops can bring in terms of dynamics for higher current devils like power amps. Just a guess at best but would seem logical.

Maybe when Steve (see Mypal above) has his new Cyclops up and running and in a demo with Anaconda Zitron pcs might be able to give you a bit of a better call on this one... he also has a couple of Talos there to compare as well.

Probably bit of a tough one bettering your Anaconda Zitron pc for a power amp in any circumstances ... my dilemmas aren't anywhere near as choice (I wish) or as elevated.

Because the Magtech isn't short of dynamics I chose when going into the Hydra with the Black Mamba HC's to go for the increased micro dynamics/tone/timbre with lowered noise floor by running the amp through a Hydra but was subtlety aware of the trade.

Now with the new gear I have little sense of any restricted dynamics for the system since putting the amp into the Cyclops, it is as blisteringly exciting in big orchestral crescendos as it is nuanced and marvellously delicate and detailed in the quietest passages. The amp just doesn't know itself any more. I love how it sounds now... the incredible focus and calm.

But I still reckon that your Zitron Anaconda/Triton would likely be more than a match in terms of responsiveness in current delivery given that anaconda up front and just about floor the Cobra/Cyclops in any other area. Maybe Grant from Shunyata might kindly be able to shine some light here as well.

That said I am just blown away with how good the Zitron Cobra/Cyclops combo is for here... lowering the noise floor the way it has is like getting more intense chroma from having richer deeper blacks in a television picture and certainly the absence of non-musical noise makes every musical sound stand out as so much more vivid and immediate.

If my experience of initially going to earlier model Shunyata Taipan pcs over stock cables was a bit like switching from black and white to colour tv then going up to Black Mamba HCs/Hydra was clearly like upgrading to a great bright new large screen plasma.

However the swap to the Zitron Cobra/Cyclops for the amp and pre is just so much more vivid and resolved again, much more like the audio equivalent of some fantastic hi-res giant retina display... ultra clear, lucid and totally natural and beyond the threshold of sounding electro-mechanical... I'm having a near life experience as it is.

I am now starting to get a sense of what systems with Shunyata Tritons like yours are enjoying... just where can we go from there though.

Vance, I'm wondering how much more state of the art power conditioning you can throw at your system and what sort of returns you would get... I genuinely would love to know how it goes because as you say these are considerable investments... like you I also see it's value as it elevates a system so extraordinarily. This introduction of current Shunyata at home has been amongst the most rewarding moves I've made with audio, not chasing sounds but chasing silence.

Last edited by audiot servant; 07-08-2012 at 04:16 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPal View Post
Graham... I'm currently burning in with a fan. I'll do this until demo runs arrive.
Steve,

Just awesome... will look for your thoughts soon... may the void be with you.