AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 07-19-2012, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjn04 View Post
So far, the QRP's I have are the two Doors, the Shelby Lynne, and the Cat Stevens: TEA.

I love the Shelby Lynne. Now on TEA, it is dynamic, quiet, highly detailed, but it's still not my favorite. It just sounds a tad tipped up for me. Perhaps that was
on the Analog Master, and they were going for that. The Doors: SD has all that going on, but still sounds so organically analog to me. Just to be clear, I do thank goodness for QRP. They do a masterful job, and more importantly, with great music. Oh, almost forgot: MF did review the Doors: S/T record on his analog planet website.
I have the Shelby Lynn, it sounds exceptional on so many levels as you noted. It too is reviewed on the MF Site. I Just need to pick The Doors titles I know I will listen to more than a few times, cause I also have the Doors of Perception DVD set, so trying to not buy the same title more than 31 times....
Old 07-19-2012, 01:00 AM

Here are some visuals.

1st is amp tryout day - this goes back a few months....

2nd is from tonight, also courtesy of iPhone.

Last edited by baddog; 07-20-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:45 AM

Nice shots Barr. I love the looks of the O's. One of these years I may have to trade up from my Super 8's.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplexico
Here are some visuals.

1st is amp tryout day - this goes back a few months....

2nd is from tonight, also courtesy of iPhone.
Beautiful and refined set up !
Old 07-19-2012, 04:43 PM

bplexico. I have perception, and even a few of The Doors CD's on DCC.
A little overkill for my Honda Acoord CDP...! There is more than one version
of Perception. I have the wide box w/ the door peephole. You look through the peephole, and spin a paper to view different Doors photos. All six studio albums have a CD version, and a DVD-A version. So, twelve discs in the box. I have never taken the DVD-A's out of the package, because I only have a Blu-Ray player. Can you tell me what I actually need to play the DVD-A disc's ?

Nice setup by the way, I will have to get around to taking some photos. Our setups are similar, in that speakers alone on short wall, running long SC's to components. I have all my stuff in the dark brown Lignolab rack, like the one on Matt's head page. BTW- I sit about 11' from the speakers w/ 5' between
my chair, and LP rack in back of me.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:24 PM

Yeah I have the same Doors box set. Well not really, mine does not have the peephole but it does have all twelve disks. To play the DVD-A disks you need either to hook up a DVD player than can play the DVD-A audio and run through stereo or have one of those Blu Ray players that can handle DVDs, most can so your Blu Ray player should be able to do it off the DVD-A disks. What player do you have? If you load the DVD-A in their a menu should pop up allowing you to choose the Advanced Resolution stereo (as opposed to 5.1 mix). Course if no monitor hooked up to the player might be more difficult to navigate the selection but for example on my Oppo I can use the remote to select between the CD and SACD layer on SACDs (can't remember how it works for DVD-A but I am sure I can do that as well hitting the Audio button on the remote).

Love your Lingolab rack, I need to get a good rack one day too.Probably won't be as nice as that bad boy...

Would love to see pictures of your system.

Barr
Old 07-19-2012, 09:16 PM

Forget the audio equipment! How about those guitars...!
Old 07-19-2012, 09:37 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplexico View Post
Well damn you guys! I have an original Dave Brubeck's Time Out, this is another once I have been fence sitting on, lord save me...

Also I have considered the Oppo BDP 95 versus the AP Digimaster, haven't heard either and I had desired a unit that could also play SACDs, but I hear that call again, do you have the default power supply or the deluxe version? And what are you using for a transport?

Jonathan, you too will be the death of me...

Barr
I have an original first pressing of TO in mono. I love it. But the new version as a 45 is superb!

As for the Oppo vs APD, well, they're not even close. But the question might be better posed as, "is the APD 4x the performer?" No. But none of this hobby is logical... The APD is beautiful, and it brings so much out of the digital. I'm floored by it. It is amazing. So if money is not a concern - grab one and an oppo...

However, if you do not listen to digital critically, but rather as side, convenient, or background music, I think you're better served considering some other upgrades first.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:13 AM

Hey! This is a great place for sharing, learning, and kicking back for a while. Appreciate the comments, recommendations and things I have learned here.

In the interests of keeping things fun, here is another, again with iPhone (one day I will use my "real" camera and snarf another).

Last edited by baddog; 07-20-2012 at 12:21 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:24 AM

Beautiful photo. Mr. DeVore knows how to make some WAF friendly speakers. The glossy sides and natural wood patterns on the front contrasted by the purple-ish cone gives you something nice to look at even when you're not listening. Love your setup.