AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Audio Racks & Furniture

Audio Racks & Furniture Attractive and Functional Display for Gear

Old 04-21-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
They look nice, but they strike me as rather pricey; aren't they something like $1500?
Yes I agree, the price seems crazy-high for a pair of thin wooden stands but the rave review really caught my eye.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:58 PM
Cool, calm scientist

I think they are suffering a bit from the "high end audiophile" tax...

I think a local carpenter could make these for $500/pair out of maple. There's nothing particulary special about these stands from a functional, "systems-engineering" perspective, as they follow exactly the "light, stiff and rigid" mechanical grounding principles established by Roy Gandy in designing the plinths for the Rega turntables, Different implementation, but the result of the "functional transformation" is exactly the same, which is to specifically is to drain vibration resonances quickly through a light, rigid, stiff coupling structure.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 04-21-2019 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-21-2019, 04:08 PM

I could actually live with the $1500 price tag if they're as good as the reviewer claims but of course they're shipped fully assembled and that would probably add greatly to the total cost of the pair due to dimensional weight.
Old 04-21-2019, 04:50 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
I could actually live with the $1500 price tag if they're as good as the reviewer claims but of course they're shipped fully assembled and that would probably add greatly to the total cost of the pair due to dimensional weight.
I could ilve with it, too, if required, but If I bought a pair of used Harbeths for $3500 or so (I hardly ever buy any high-end audio gear new), I struggle with spending ~ half the price of the speakers simplly for the stands. I think the price in the USA is due to a European mfr->distributor->retailer->customer markup chain which probably close to triples the wholesale price. If I ever get a pair, I think I may reach out to Mapleshade and see what they would charge for a comparable set of stands.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
I could ilve with it, too, if required, but If I bought a pair of used Harbeths for $3500 or so (I hardly ever buy any high-end audio gear new), I struggle with spending ~ half the price of the speakers simplly for the stands. I think the price in the USA is due to a European mfr->distributor->retailer->customer markup chain which probably close to triples the wholesale price. If I ever get a pair, I think I may reach out to Mapleshade and see what they would charge for a comparable set of stands.
I just spent some time browsing the Mapleshade website and from what I can tell, their stands are very bulky and seem to be totally different from the TonTrager design philosophy.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:43 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
I just spent some time browsing the Mapleshade website and from what I can tell, their stands are very bulky and seem to be totally different from the TonTrager design philosophy.
Agreed. But, I think they do custom work, also. It's really a moot point for me anyway, though, as I don't actually own a pair of Harbeths (though I wish I did...).
Old 04-21-2019, 07:04 PM

There are a handful of popular Harbeth stand options, the more common being Skylan, Resonant Woods, and Sound Anchors, in order of increasing cost, I think. I'm pretty sure Ton Trager is the most expensive of all, though.

The Harbeth speakers I bought are shipping to me with Skylan stands, so I'll give them a try. I have set of IsoAcoustics Oreas that I plan to test between the speaker and the stand to see how that effects the sound, as well. I imagine with/without Oreas will work for me.

If I didn't have a stand shipping with my speakers, I've been eyeing the Resonant Woods Linear II stand which has the open frame design, like Ton Trager, but is more robust in construction, and less precarious to put the speaker on. I worry I'd knock a speaker off the small protrusions of the Ton Trager stand.

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables
Old 04-21-2019, 07:47 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 View Post
There are a handful of popular Harbeth stand options, the more common being Skylan, Resonant Woods, and Sound Anchors, in order of increasing cost, I think. I'm pretty sure Ton Trager is the most expensive of all, though.

The Harbeth speakers I bought are shipping to me with Skylan stands, so I'll give them a try. I have set of IsoAcoustics Oreas that I plan to test between the speaker and the stand to see how that effects the sound, as well. I imagine with/without Oreas will work for me.

If I didn't have a stand shipping with my speakers, I've been eyeing the Resonant Woods Linear II stand which has the open frame design, like Ton Trager, but is more robust in construction, and less precarious to put the speaker on. I worry I'd knock a speaker off the small protrusions of the Ton Trager stand.
I know. Me, too. More specifically, I'd worry my cats would knock them off when they get a wild cat hair up their feline derrières, and go racing through the house at full-tilt.

What are IsoAcoutic Oreas? Never heard of those.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
I know. Me, too. More specifically, I'd worry my cats would knock them off when they get a wild cat hair up their feline derrières, and go racing through the house at full-tilt.

What are IsoAcoutic Oreas? Never heard of those.

I was a single cat household so my kitty used to chase me around the house until she was at least 15 or 16!

Check out the Stereophile review of the Isoacoustic Oreas:
https://www.stereophile.com/content/...ment-isolators

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables
Old 04-21-2019, 08:53 PM

Considering it is an artisan product made by hand from wood sourced from the Bavarian Alps where the factory is located (in a sustainable manner) as well as using solvent free oils and stains, the price is more than fair. https://www.tontraeger-audio.com/lang/en/ueber-uns.html

Harping about $1500 natural product made by hand yet justifying copper cables in all likelihood sourced from China and covered in some fancy plastic sleeve, costing thousands of dollars and yielding nothing but fantasy is logical? Audiophiles... sheesh

Last edited by PHC1; 04-21-2019 at 09:01 PM.