AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Ayre

Ayre A new dimension of musical enjoyment

Old 12-01-2017, 04:46 PM

Default The road to KX-R twenty.

Back in the day I found the KX-R to be an amazing preamp. I recall thinking to myself, this will be a tough one to improve upon as it offered the kind of performance and technology that would be hard to fault. It did not leave me wishing for anything more in particular. Of course time goes by and an evolution and refreshing of product line is a necessity in the competitive world of high end audio. I have not auditioned the KR-R twenty and really have no plans to ever spend this kind of money on a preamp again but found this article an interesting read none the less. The evolution to the model “Twenty” status. Perhaps some of you will find this interesting as well.

https://www.soundstageultra.com/inde...y-preamplifier
Old 12-03-2017, 06:52 PM

A few years ago, that article made me seriously think about moving towards the KX-R / MX-R Twenty, and I eventually made the move. Very lucky to have it.

Aurender N10 / Ayre QX-5 Twenty / Ayre KX-R Twenty / Ayre MX-R Twenty / Wilson Sasha DAW / Isotek TITAN and EVO3 / Transparent Reference / Meze Empyrean
Old 12-03-2017, 07:26 PM

Very nice system Glenn.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:31 PM

Thanks Serge! Cool avatar BTW.

Aurender N10 / Ayre QX-5 Twenty / Ayre KX-R Twenty / Ayre MX-R Twenty / Wilson Sasha DAW / Isotek TITAN and EVO3 / Transparent Reference / Meze Empyrean
Old 12-03-2017, 08:37 PM

Glenn, call me this week if you are around. Let's catchup. lol.... I want to talk about your front end. I am thinking about the N10 to go with my QX5.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:01 AM

What would the N10 provide? I've wondered about a Melco N1A, but I'm running the Roon core in my iMac and transferring files via ethernet. Roon accesses Tidal files as well as those I've downloaded or ripped. I have yet to run the Roon remote app on my iPad.

db
Old 12-10-2017, 09:04 PM

The N10 is one of, if not the best server on the market. It's tonality is astounding and it has the pace, timing and rhythm. They deal with the jitter problem that hurts digital audio. It's a relaxed presentation that I have not heard on computer based servers. You can go with teh ethernet connection on an optical isolation and get an even lower noise floor. It's got a great adn easy to use interface. Most I now who own one don't miss Roon that much. Heck, I want Roon too, but I wants an easy to use, easy to rip to and the best sounding server. they check those boxes, plus the company stands behind their products better than Melco and others. If you are looking at the N10 then the Melco N1ZH (in the US) not the N1A. There are some new servers coming into the US now and hopefully some will be outstanding at lower price points. A couple use Roon too. My friend will be getting them in to review and then I'll get them in to see what I think.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:46 PM

I just connected the KXR twenty and MXR twenty into my system this morning. I am baby sitting them for a month while the owner is out of the country. This loaner system worked out well since I am returning my ARC 250 back to the factory for the SE update.

So far, the Ayre system is sounding really good, but it's too early to make any judgement. I have always liked Ayre products and had considered buying the KXR a few years ago.

Rich
Old 12-11-2017, 12:41 PM

Love the way the MX-R and KX-R Twentys are being treated like cherished loved ones that are being babysat while the owner is away haha.

Old 12-13-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsooner View Post
The N10 is one of, if not the best server on the market. It's tonality is astounding and it has the pace, timing and rhythm. They deal with the jitter problem that hurts digital audio. It's a relaxed presentation that I have not heard on computer based servers. You can go with teh ethernet connection on an optical isolation and get an even lower noise floor. It's got a great adn easy to use interface.
But aren't the attributes you describe those one can expect the QX-5 Twenty with Roon to provide? I'm trying to understand what an N10 might add.

db