AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Aurender

Aurender Reference Music Servers

Old 05-17-2018, 03:36 PM

Default Aurender Product Updates

I have been going back and forth many times on which music server to add next. I have a Silenzio in my main system, and an N100H in my bedroom system. I am happy with both. But I can't decide what to do for the home office system. I need to get off the computer.

Another Silenzio? Another N100H or N100C? An N10? In my seemingly never ending quest to read everything I can find about all the options, I became thoroughly confused on the Aurender side. Some say the N100H is enough if USB is your main output, some say the N10 is better all around, and some say only the W20 is worth buying.

So I decided to ask Aurender. I wanted to know how they view their products. I also wanted to know about the future of their App. Roon isn't critical to me, but iPad only is a turn off. I prefer an iPhone App. They answered my questions and then some. I thought some of you might find this information useful. I asked specific questions about the N10.

"The USB output on the N10, while similar in design to the one used in the N100H, does in fact perform better due to the upgraded circuit topology supporting it. That said, USB is an asynchronous protocol and uses the clock within the dac, so you are correct that the benefit from the N10 is realized theoretically mainly by employing the SPDIF digital outputs. Aurender supports DSD playback via DoP and is currently compatible with DSD64 and DSD128 (we do have plans to add support for DSD256 in the near future). We also provide on the SPDIF outputs only DSD-to-PCM conversion with a user selectable output sampling rate of 88.2kHz or 176.1kHz. This feature is useful for allowing DSD content to be played through a non-DSD dac. To answer your question, all digital outputs are capable of DSD playback one way or another.
An iPhone, Android phone and tablet apps are currently in development and may perhaps be released later this year. Our intention is to migrate Aurender Conductor to a cross platform design instead of being exclusively controlled by an iPad."

Great upgrades coming in the near future!
Old 05-18-2018, 07:34 AM

the benefit from the N10 is realized theoretically mainly by employing the SPDIF digital outputs. ...DSD to PCM And sampling rate is limited to 88.2 or 176.2 kHz... So why use this output at all and not just go with usb?
Old 05-18-2018, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
the benefit from the N10 is realized theoretically mainly by employing the SPDIF digital outputs. ...DSD to PCM And sampling rate is limited to 88.2 or 176.2 kHz... So why use this output at all and not just go with usb?
Some DACs do not support DSD so providing DSD to PCM conversion at an accepted sampling rate will allow playback of DSD files, and some DACs do not have USB inputs so providing output via SPDIF (coax or AES/EBU) provides connection alternatives. Additionally the SPDIF outputs use the N10's internal reference quality digital clock.

Last edited by audio bill; 05-18-2018 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:08 AM

Some DACs also support DSD over SPDIF so you can play DSD and get the benefit of the clock
Old 05-18-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsT View Post
Some DACs also support DSD over SPDIF so you can play DSD and get the benefit of the clock

Yep, I was surprised my Meridian 808v6 accepts DSD via SPDIF .... until then, I thought DSD needed USB. I will also say that the clock inside my McIntosh D1100 must be on par with that inside the N10 as I hear very little, if any, real difference usb vs XLR/coaxial. I have (3) WW Platinum digital cables connecting N10 to D1100 .... usb, coax, aes/ebu.

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion
Old 05-18-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3brow View Post
Yep, I was surprised my Meridian 808v6 accepts DSD via SPDIF .... until then, I thought DSD needed USB. I will also say that the clock inside my McIntosh D1100 must be on par with that inside the N10 as I hear very little, if any, real difference usb vs XLR/coaxial. I have (3) WW Platinum digital cables connecting N10 to D1100 .... usb, coax, aes/ebu.
, that is good to hear as a D1100 owner myself.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio bill View Post
Some DACs do not support DSD so providing DSD to PCM conversion at an accepted sampling rate will allow playback of DSD files, and some DACs do not have USB inputs so providing output via SPDIF (coax or AES/EBU) provides connection alternatives. Additionally the SPDIF outputs use the N10's internal reference quality digital clock.
Makes perfect sence