AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges

Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges Welcome to the Dark Side!

Old 03-01-2018, 08:09 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
USB microscope. Bought one from Amazon several years back. 100x.
I second the USB microscope; it's by far the best way. You can even use it to take a picture and then use Photoshop to determine SRA.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:33 PM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
I second the USB microscope; it's by far the best way. You can even use it to take a picture and then use Photoshop to determine SRA.
Fwiw, Dino-Lite USB 'scopes come with software that allow you to take the requisite measurements to determine SRA. No Photoshop required.

Here's a helpful video from Fremer on how to do that. He's using the Mac version of the software. The PC version is a bit different but does the same job. This approach was pioneered by Wally Malewicz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=otysEyET6yE
Old 03-01-2018, 11:41 PM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by robd2 View Post
Ok loupe on a stand arrived unbroken, thank goodness! Any tips for how to position? I always have a tough time getting the correct angle and focal length to see the stylus. Do you set the base on the platter? Also any idea if it's one directional?
Because of its higher magnification, the lens needs to be right up to the cartridge and you'll need to minutely adjust the focal length by hand for what works best with your eyes. The placement of the stand can be where ever it allows the loupe to achieve the position you need. I know that sounds obvious but with so many different 'table layouts and alignment tools there's not a single recommendation that works for all.

What protractor or alignment tool are you using?
Old 03-02-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
Because of its higher magnification, the lens needs to be right up to the cartridge and you'll need to minutely adjust the focal length by hand for what works best with your eyes. The placement of the stand can be where ever it allows the loupe to achieve the position you need. I know that sounds obvious but with so many different 'table layouts and alignment tools there's not a single recommendation that works for all.

What protractor or alignment tool are you using?
As always tima great info. I'm using the mint tractor right now but I may return it for some other reasons to be discussed soon.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:53 PM

I tried several loupes and a USB scope.....I find setting those up is more a chore than the cartridge setup

I wear a couple of readers like +2.75 power on top of each other, this way both hands are free. Let's me see the protractor grid and stylus in exploded view.