AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Member System Forum

Member System Forum System Pictures and Descriptions

Old 08-31-2013, 10:29 PM

Wink Now Don't Laugh...

I decided to re-arrange my 2.1 channel system in the room and change up the rack configuration a bit so I could add my Sonos, get that set up and running, then plug everything into my recently acquired Belkin power center.

Currently this system is a mix of old and new, comprised of:

A McIntosh C28 pre-amp
A McIntosh MR77 tuner
A Belkin PF31 power console/surge protector/power conditioner
Two Emotiva UPA-1 monoblock amps
An Emotiva XDA-1 DAC
A pair of ADS L880/2 bookshelf speakers with original stands
A Sonos bridge and ZP80 connect

Getting the new and old to work together was not too much of a struggle except for working out a 12v trigger from one of the amps to the pre-amp. I found a dongle with a power supply at Radio Shack that solved that for me.

I also decided to turn the pre-amp main out analog to a digital signal to use one of the optical in connections on the DAC so I could switch between inputs using that component. Radio Shack comes to the rescue again.

The tuner is plugged into a switched outlet on the pre-amp, the pre-amp comes on with the 12v trigger from one of the amps, that amp comes on with a 12v trigger from the other amp and that second amp is triggered by the DAC.

The DAC is my switching and volume control (as it has a remote control), with the Sonos system controlled through an iPad.

With the exception of my highest resolution FLAC files, I can now listen to my entire music library and stream other music sources to this system, no longer limited to FM music only.

So, on to the pictures:

I have a bit of tweaking to do on the pre-amp settings and just a bit of fiddling with the output level on DAC for each input.

Finally, I stopped fiddling around and just sat back to listen. The sound was wonderful and I came to the realization that...

I NEED A MORE COMFORTABLE CHAIR!!!!

Seriously, I am very pleased with the clarity, breadth and depth of the sound.

I have yet to add my Soundcast Sub Cast wireless system for the subwoofer but I'll set that up tomorrow.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:40 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Michael.......I think your system looks super. It's been awhile since I have seen a pair of ADS L880. The rack is very clean looking, too. Sounds like you are pleased.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 08-31-2013, 10:52 PM

You are too kind, Dan.

Those are one owner ADS speakers! Not necessarily a kind owner...too many kids who bumped into the poor things over the years. But with some TLC the cabinets shine again and I expect one day I'll get up the gumption to try and massage the grilles back to their former glory.

The rack is a mix of cheapy Best Buy metal rack (with surprisingly good quality tempered glass shelves) and a bit of wood work on my part to warm it up and add some interest.

Honestly, I wasn't kidding about the chair!!! LOL
Old 08-31-2013, 11:01 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Michael.......I sold a lot of ADS speakers back in the early 80's working for a high end dealer. They were also a McIntosh dealer. Sold a lot of McIntosh, too.

The LDS metal perforated grills look fabulous when new but are relatively easy to dent and hard to straighten back out. The grills are not that easy to get off and back on the cabinets, either. None the less, the ADS L880's sound excellent. I hope you can manage to get them completely restored. They are worth it.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 08-31-2013, 11:17 PM

I do love the sound of them, Dan. Amazing bass, very tight, nice mids with sweet highs that do not fatigue the listener.

The woofers have been put right, the crossovers have been replaced and the cabinets now look wonderful, even better than new. It's just those grilles that let them down a bit. It bothers me but at the same time, I am not exactly sure where to start.

In any event, I am enjoying the results of putting this system together and hope to replace those two monoblocks with a proper McIntosh amplifier soon!
Old 09-01-2013, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaki
I do love the sound of them, Dan. Amazing bass, very tight, nice mids with sweet highs that do not fatigue the listener.

The woofers have been put right, the crossovers have been replaced and the cabinets now look wonderful, even better than new. It's just those grilles that let them down a bit. It bothers me but at the same time, I am not exactly sure where to start.

In any event, I am enjoying the results of putting this system together and hope to replace those two monoblocks with a proper McIntosh amplifier soon!
There is really nothing to laugh about. I'm sure this set up sounds very good. But you will be in heaven with a vintage Mc tube amp.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:24 AM

Oh Jerome...why tease me like that???
Old 09-01-2013, 11:38 AM

What speakers stands are those? I love the vintage look of your system. I bet you get a lot of questions from guests.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:48 AM

Those stands were made for me by A&M Fabrications. Not sure about how AK handles non-supporting vendor links so if you are interested in a link, PM me.

I opted for upright leg extensions to support the speakers a bit more than a standard set would. Those L880's are called a bookshelf speaker but I've never seen a bookshelf that you could fit them on and not have it come crashing to the ground.

Last edited by Yamaki; 09-01-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:17 PM
What?

Looks great and sounds great, doesn't get better than that!
Unison Research Sinfonia Anniversary. McIntosh D100 > Bluesound Node2i > Tidal. Clearaudio Performance DC. Gold Note PH-10, Gold Note PSU-10. Isol-8 InLine. Shunyata Research Hydra Delta D6. Wireworld. Acoustic Zen. Audioquest. Klipsch Cornwall III.

Greg