AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Automobiles

Automobiles Need for Speed

Old 05-11-2013, 01:28 AM

Some things are a blessing in disguise. Backdraft's are good Cobra's, but they're not as popular or sought after like the Superformance, Kirkham, and the ERA. There are always impulse buyers who snap up anything without much research.

I'm sure you've checked out CobraCountry.com. That seems to be the number one place for Cobra sellers and buyers (that's where I sold mine). Just be patient and keep an eye out. You'll eventually get what you want at the right price (if you want used). Most used Cobras have only a few thousand miles, so they're practically new.

In LA traffic, I almost never drove my Cobra to work. It just sat in the garage for the occasional weekend drives. It's not fun driving a 500+ horsepower American V8 stick shift Cobra in rush hour traffic! The side exhaust fumes come right up!

From my own personal experience, I'd stay away from the super doped up engines (600+ HP). They're much harder to handle in such a small car, special when joy riding around town. Sure, it brings a lot of bragging rights when comparing horsepower at the rear wheel, but in reality, a more dependable and manageable engine is funner to drive around town unless you're going to the track every weekend. Just remember that it was the 289 engine that won the Le Mans. I don't think any of the 427 side oilers every won any races (they broke down).

And a note on the continuation Shelby cars: I think they're no better than some of the replicas. They just carry the Shelby name and go for twice the price. Some replicas outperform and are the same quality (if not, better) than the continuation Cobras. Carrol Shelby ripped off a lot of people in the past. For example, when he said he had parts from the original Cobras that he had stashed away and built new cars from them! He charged up to half million dollar for those (granted, the money went towards charities) and then it was discovered that they weren't originals. It was found they were new frames left out in the in open so it got weathered out and have the old look. The state of California took the registrations away from all those who had purchased one. But then again, bragging rights about "is it a replica" is a big deal. When you own a Cobra, you'll get at least 5 people asking you "is it real" everytime you take it out on the streets.

Just writing from my own experiences. And also get ready for being pulled over! I got pulled over left and right. Most cops just wanted to check it out and were very cool about it. Others throw the book at you. Once a helicopter got me for hot dogging around in Santa Monica. Heck, I had no idea Santa Monica had a police helicopter! I got 3 different violations in one stop (all dismissed in court later). On the other hand, the W. Los Angeles cops were very cool. They just gave warnings and said "I'd be doing the same in that car". And for those who say I deserved it for "hot dogging", trying driving a car like that without "hot dogging" IMPOSSIBLE!
Old 07-24-2013, 12:08 PM

[ame=http://youtu.be/jIDohA01cd4]Factory Five Shelby Cobra - WINDING ROAD Sights & Sounds - YouTube[/ame]
Old 07-24-2013, 07:16 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Serge.......Cool video. The Shelby Cobra still looks fresh today and is certainly in a league of its own.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 07-24-2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Serge.......Cool video. The Shelby Cobra still looks fresh today and is certainly in a league of its own.
Yes it does Dan. There is something about the cobra that I find irresistible! The raw driving experience and the looks attract me today as it did when I was a teenager! Someday I must scratch this itch! That and the DeTomaso Pantera!
Old 07-24-2013, 10:47 PM

Serge,

Are you riding your BMW motorcycles?
Old 07-24-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLK View Post
Serge,

Are you riding your BMW motorcycles?
I traded them in last season for a pair of sport bikes which were then traded in for a pair of Ducati bikes which turned into the current state of Harley and Yamaha cruisers. I know, I am crazy with these things... I do miss my R1200R! That was a great bike!
Old 07-25-2013, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
I traded them in last season for a pair of sport bikes which were then traded in for a pair of Ducati bikes which turned into the current state of Harley and Yamaha cruisers. I know, I am crazy with these things... I do miss my R1200R! That was a great bike!
Yikes! You must have a wonderful wife to let you play with all these toys.

Funny, I was in my local dealership (they're also a Harley dealer) today asking
about the 2014 BMWs.

A salesman with slicked back hair and a pony tail, cut off black t-shirt and an earring, asked me why I didn't want a Harley.

I told him I was looking for a roadster like the R1200R that performed like a Porsche 911, not something that performed like a Chevy Tahoe.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Yikes! You must have a wonderful wife to let you play with all these toys.

Funny, I was in my local dealership (they're also a Harley dealer) today asking
about the 2014 BMWs.

A salesman with slicked back hair and a pony tail, cut off black t-shirt and an earring, asked me why I didn't want a Harley.

I told him I was looking for a roadster like the R1200R that performed like a Porsche 911, not something that performed like a Chevy Tahoe.
I can appreciate the analogy but there is something very addicting about Harleys too. I am on my second one already. It's a different kind of a ride. If you don't try to push a Harley but instead enjoy the ride, the scenery, the sights and sounds of riding a motorcycle in general, you may enjoy a Harley! They do have "character" and "soul" for sure. The BMW bikes lack that... Very efficient, smooth, powerful, even fast but they didn't inspire and excite me as much as the Harley does. What can I say, all my life I rode sport bikes. My last one was a Ducati 848 Evo with mods/exhaust, that bike was full of character but I couldn't ride it for more than 20 min without my back going into spasms. The Harley Road King is like riding on a sofa. I can ride for hours on end and keep riding... The R1200R would be a good companion bike for when the mood strikes for more aggressive type riding.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
I can appreciate the analogy but there is something very addicting about Harleys too. I am on my second one already. It's a different kind of a ride. If you don't try to push a Harley but instead enjoy the ride, the scenery, the sights and sounds of riding a motorcycle in general, you may enjoy a Harley! They do have "character" and "soul" for sure. The BMW bikes lack that... Very efficient, smooth, powerful, even fast but they didn't inspire and excite me as much as the Harley does. What can I say, all my life I rode sport bikes. My last one was a Ducati 848 Evo with mods/exhaust, that bike was full of character but I couldn't ride it for more than 20 min without my back going into spasms. The Harley Road King is like riding on a sofa. I can ride for hours on end and keep riding... The R1200R would be a good companion bike for when the mood strikes for more aggressive type riding.
Understood.

The thing that prevents me from thinking about a Harley is the slicked back hair pony tail, cut off black t-shirt, earring image that everyone here that owns a Harley adopts.

Old design, boring looks.

My back is in good shape. If needed, I can press the BMW's ESA control button.

Hope you find your Cobra!
Old 07-25-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Understood.

The thing that prevents me from thinking about a Harley is the slicked back hair pony tail, cut off black t-shirt, earring image that everyone here that owns a Harley adopts.

Old design, boring looks.

My back is in good shape. If needed, I can press the BMW's ESA control button.

Hope you find your Cobra!
Everyone is free to do what they want. One doesn't have to alter their image to ride a particular brand of a motorcycle... I didn't change anything about myself when I owned a Ducati, BMW, Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Moto Guzzi and I am not about to change myself for a Harley!!!