AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 05-12-2019, 07:33 PM

I have added a switchable regulated/non regulated screen voltage to the PSE mono blocs. output tubes. I can now safely run the 6F6 output tubes on these guys. I also changed out the cathode bias resistors 750 to 560 ohm. Bumped up the bias a few ma.
I am just floored how good the 6F6 tubes sound. I have only used the glass enveloped tubes so far. When I do not see any red plate issues over time I will put the metal cans in. I have also added bias and output tube plate voltage test jacks. That has shown that there can be a 30-40 VDC difference in 5Y3 rectifier tube output. Who da thunk? I also have a bad 5R4GY that puts out 100 VDC less than my other one. Nice to know some of what is happening in the amp without flipping it over on the bench.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straitwire View Post
Hey pechelman, with the B+ off there is some magnetic field pick up from the power transformer.
With the B+ in the on position with the amp operating, DC current is flowing through the output transformers and the hum will be eliminated.
Thanks, straitwire.

Also, a general question that's half 45 firebottle/inspire related and half general tube newby question; Does anyone have a list of recommended and compatible tubes for this amp? Not looking to use anything other than a 45 output tube of course in this amp, but looking for specific brand recommendations. Have heard the RCA and Philco's are very similar and maybe the Sophia's are the one to try next?

On the recommendation & compatibility side of my question curious about the 6SL7 driver and 80 rectifier.

Have heard from someone else they like a 6SU7GTY and a 5Z3 in this amp. Is there a chart or spec sheet where I could find out what tubes are equiv/compatible? I.e. how would I know that an 6SU7 is a drop-in replacement for a 6SL7? Unfortunately I have 2 strikes against me; one being too young to have grown up using tubes and second that I'm a mechanical engineer, and tend to stay away from angry pixies/electrical engineering. Reading a spec sheet is no problem but even better if there's a website that lists compatible tube types.

Impetus for looking for tubes: First off, I would like a spare set of tubes should anything happen to my current set, so not really picky and in no rush. Second, with the philco 45s/80 and JAN 6SL7 provided by Dennis, along with my omega junior 8's, I wouldnt mind a little more top end reach. There's lots of low end extension right now that I wouldnt mind compromising on.

thanks in advance
Old 05-14-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pechelman View Post
Thanks, straitwire.

Also, a general question that's half 45 firebottle/inspire related and half general tube newby question; Does anyone have a list of recommended and compatible tubes for this amp? Not looking to use anything other than a 45 output tube of course in this amp, but looking for specific brand recommendations. Have heard the RCA and Philco's are very similar and maybe the Sophia's are the one to try next?

On the recommendation & compatibility side of my question curious about the 6SL7 driver and 80 rectifier.

Have heard from someone else they like a 6SU7GTY and a 5Z3 in this amp. Is there a chart or spec sheet where I could find out what tubes are equiv/compatible? I.e. how would I know that an 6SU7 is a drop-in replacement for a 6SL7? Unfortunately I have 2 strikes against me; one being too young to have grown up using tubes and second that I'm a mechanical engineer, and tend to stay away from angry pixies/electrical engineering. Reading a spec sheet is no problem but even better if there's a website that lists compatible tube types.

Impetus for looking for tubes: First off, I would like a spare set of tubes should anything happen to my current set, so not really picky and in no rush. Second, with the philco 45s/80 and JAN 6SL7 provided by Dennis, along with my omega junior 8's, I wouldnt mind a little more top end reach. There's lots of low end extension right now that I wouldnt mind compromising on.

thanks in advance
Sounds like you are having fun with the amp. I don't have a 45 Inspire but have experience with many 45 tubes and 6sl7's. Have listened to almost all vintage 45's as well as Sophia and EML. Hands down the best sounding 45 is the EML 45 solid plate. better clarity, harmonics and extension than the rest of the pack. They are expensive but in a class of their own. For top end extension the Sylvania VT-229/6SL7 is excellent if you want even more top end find an Adzam 6SL7. Can't offer much on 80 rectifier, never used them.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maro View Post
Sounds like you are having fun with the amp. I don't have a 45 Inspire but have experience with many 45 tubes and 6sl7's. Have listened to almost all vintage 45's as well as Sophia and EML. Hands down the best sounding 45 is the EML 45 solid plate. better clarity, harmonics and extension than the rest of the pack. They are expensive but in a class of their own. For top end extension the Sylvania VT-229/6SL7 is excellent if you want even more top end find an Adzam 6SL7. Can't offer much on 80 rectifier, never used them.
on the EML 45. I used them in a Korneff 45 amp. Also, the new Shuguang WE 6SL7 plus is excellent. I'm using one in an Inspire PSE.
Old 05-26-2019, 02:04 PM

Default Custom orders start to finish...new PSE chassis's...45 PSE...

Sweet SE 350A...I have already posted some of these pics...

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

6V6-H FireBottle...Pentode configured...

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

New batch of PSE chassis's from fabricator, they'll look great in Red Delusion...

[IMG][/IMG]

This gas regulated PSE in Red Delusion is gonna run 45's...ooooh yeah!!...

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-26-2019, 07:48 PM

I believe that last one has my name on it already.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:16 AM

Hey x3workshop, you are correct!
The chassis pictured is yours, but we will be building two, one for you and one for Dennis...
Old 05-27-2019, 03:54 PM

This makes me very happy.

I've been working out of the country since April and won't be back until late August. This amp will be finished in time for some long overdue listening and family time. Really looking forward to this master build!
Old 05-27-2019, 04:55 PM

Default Gas Regulation?

Have a question on how gas regulation affects the sound quality. What is the benefit? is it practical to add to a single ended pentode amp?
Thanks!
Old 05-29-2019, 08:32 AM

Hey maro, My understanding from what I have seen and heard is that Gaseous Voltage Regulation is quite a bit quieter and maybe a little smoother than zener diodes, and depending on which voltage regulator tube or combination of tubes you use and how much current you draw they actually regulate as well and sometimes even better than zeners...and then there's the coolness factor...

Last edited by straitwire; 05-29-2019 at 08:58 AM.