AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 06-02-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
That should be

I have the TS6550 new production but prefer the pair of Electron Valve 6550's for $35 on the auction site. The TS is quite good though.

IMHO, the Shuguang and Psvane CV-181/6SN7's surpass the old production tube I have for long term enjoyment. YMMV.

Still more tubes to consider!
I hand a good experience with Psvane WE 300B replica, so I do know first hand that they produce quality tubes, for a price.
Since I have the GL KT66 and KT77 I'm planing on getting the GL KT88 next, just to establish a baseline of comparison. I'll experiment with other brands after that. I'm hoping to find alternatives during the audio fair, as well as 6SN7 variants.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik View Post
I have the LP-2 pre and a Cambridge Audio Azur 851N streamer/DAC. Since the LP-2 doesn't have a remote, I run the streamer/DAC in preamp mode and control the volume from there with a remote. So I do the same thing, but balancing volume settings between the DAC and Pre. I typically have the volume setting on the LP-2 at about 3 O'Clock.

Have you ever tried using the CA Azure in line out mode to the LP-2? If so, how does it compare when running it as a PRE amp, also connected to the LP-2?

I ask because I am looking for DSD capable streamers as an alternative to my LINN Majik. In my case I don't mind not having a remote, I am more keen on having just one volume control in the path. The Azure caught my eye and was curious as to how they would stack up against the LINN.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musica Amantem View Post
Agreed. Speakers may make all the difference in our rigs. I now believe I should eventually go into higher sensitivity terrain (mine are nominally 98 dB//m/watt). But, that may put my enjoyment of the LP-27a at risk.

I believe you could use the 5Z4 in lieu of the 5AR4, as these heat directly and both have the same Low V-Drop specs. This has become a favorite lately in my rig.

The GL KT-77 with LP-27a are my best combo. Are you familiar with this article?

http://wallofsound.ca/audioreviews/t...tubestore-com/

Seems the GL KT-77 has another contender in the 6CA7 from Shuguang, followed closely by the T-S EL34B.
Good read. Sounds like that Shuguang is up there, though not significantly better than the GL KT-77, according to the author, and at twice the price. I'm not likely to try them. I have a pair of TS EL-34B that haven't made it up to the level of my favorites in this family, again don't recall the reasons when I was comparing a while back. But sounds like I need to give them a listen again.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco65 View Post
Peter, I think there is a difference between your setup and MA's. He has a volume control at the front of the preamp which determines the amplitiude of the signal being amplified by the preamp, followed by a volume control on the amp which controls the amplitude of the signal being amplified by the amp. In this case, for a given volume level the amp is always doing the same thing. We are changing how hard we are driving the preamp by playing with the input and output volume controls. There are likely sweet spots where the preamp is happiest when driving different tubes.

OTOH, your arrangement only controls signal amplitude going into the preamp/amp system. You can play with how much gain is coming out of the output stage of your streamer, but in the end the preamp is always going to be driven at the same level for a given volume level.

I don't know if this is better or worse. I would posit that MA's setup has the potential to tweak the sound a little more and is the common arrangement in guitar amps. It is likely he is able to find a spot in the preamp's gain range that suits his preference for each tube.
All very possible though I don't fully understand the technicals. The commonality is the multiple points for adjustment that we seek for the best balance with each other.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldhorse View Post
Have you ever tried using the CA Azure in line out mode to the LP-2? If so, how does it compare when running it as a PRE amp, also connected to the LP-2?

I ask because I am looking for DSD capable streamers as an alternative to my LINN Majik. In my case I don't mind not having a remote, I am more keen on having just one volume control in the path. The Azure caught my eye and was curious as to how they would stack up against the LINN.
I'm sounding like a broken record! I have tried that set up (using the 851N in line out mode), but don't recall the results. We are talking about a year ago now. It's not like I ruled it out, just my need for remote volume control outweighed any difference. I don't think the difference was huge or I would remember. And, if much better that way, I would have found a way run in that mode. I'll put it on the list for a test again, though that list of tests has grown considerably in the last couple of days of posts!!
Old 06-02-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
I'm sounding like a broken record! I have tried that set up (using the 851N in line out mode), but don't recall the results. We are talking about a year ago now. It's not like I ruled it out, just my need for remote volume control outweighed any difference. I don't think the difference was huge or I would remember. And, if much better that way, I would have found a way run in that mode. I'll put it on the list for a test again, though that list of tests has grown considerably in the last couple of days of posts!!

Thanks, I would appreciate that.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Good read. Sounds like that Shuguang is up there, though not significantly better than the GL KT-77, according to the author, and at twice the price. I'm not likely to try them. I have a pair of TS EL-34B that haven't made it up to the level of my favorites in this family, again don't recall the reasons when I was comparing a while back. But sounds like I need to give them a listen again.
Well, there goes my hope of finding an affordable GL KT-77-like alternative (T-S EL34B) ... What exactly was not at par in your view?

Yes, the Shuguang 6CA7 are almost double the price of the GL KT-77's, a shame!
Old 06-02-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Well, there goes my hope of finding an affordable GL KT-77-like alternative (T-S EL34B) ... What exactly was not at par in your view?

Yes, the Shuguang 6CA7 are almost double the price of the GL KT-77's, a shame!
I wouldn't go by me particularly when trying something like the TS EL34B, which isn't too expensive. As I said, I went through a period of running the various EL34/KT77s that I have and the few that seemed to do the best for me were the current production GL KT-77, =C= EL34. The Mullard EL34 reissues weren't bad either, though under those other two for me. If I get a chance this weekend, I'll refresh my memory with some of these comparisons. I need to do more of this over the coming weeks as I am thinning out my collection narrowing down to top choices.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:44 PM

Talking

Quote:
I wouldn't go by me particularly when trying something like the TS EL34B, which isn't too expensive. As I said, I went through a period of running the various EL34/KT77s that I have and the few that seemed to do the best for me were the current production GL KT-77, =C= EL34. The Mullard EL34 reissues weren't bad either, though under those other two for me. If I get a chance this weekend, I'll refresh my memory with some of these comparisons. I need to do more of this over the coming weeks as I am thinning out my collection narrowing down to top choices.
I hear you, but also FloridaBoy does not like the idea as he has tried it in the past and considers the GL KT-77 unbeatable, which I agree with. I guess you guys are right. OTOH, this would prove or disprove my theory, though, and everything points to something like the 6P3S-E: relatively weak, but very transparent and balanced. The EL34B would also offer an advantage in body of sound thanks to the 55% higher plate current and some of that inherited midrange magic typical of the EL34 family, along with being electrically the best non-Triode output tube for Triode connection... Tempting! If you get a chance to listen to those again, let me know your latest impressions. Thanks!

Last edited by Musica Amantem; 06-02-2017 at 11:35 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:09 AM

Quote:
I hear you, but also FloridaBoy does not like the idea as he has tried it in the past and considers the GL KT-77 unbeatable, which I agree with.
I still haven't listened to the GL KT-77, mostly because my Inspire came with JJ KT-77, which Dennis told me that he liked better than the GL. He's one of the few people I've ever known who has compared the two and liked the JJ better.