AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 03-20-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadil View Post
The 6K6 is a fairly low wattage power tube. In a single ended application, it would probably produce about 4 watts. You can push them higher if you run them at higher voltages than spec'ed, but that would shorten their life. I would be concerned that they would be running pretty hot in an Inspire amp as I suspect Dennis runs more plate voltage to the output tubes than the 6K6 max spec of 315V.
That was my thought as well. I rebuilt a Magnavox console pull with 6K6s in the past, and they sounded good, but the tube is essentially a down rated 6V6. However, with the right rectifier it might be possible. I'd try a 5R4G/GY/GYA with a voltage drop of about 65-67V and measure the plate and cathode voltages....
Old 03-20-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
Which rectifier are you using with the 6K6's?

MA is an analytical machine!
Currently these are in my PSE with the IIRPS, so diode rectification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Addict View Post
That was my thought as well. I rebuilt a Magnavox console pull with 6K6s in the past, and they sounded good, but the tube is essentially a down rated 6V6. However, with the right rectifier it might be possible. I'd try a 5R4G/GY/GYA with a voltage drop of about 65-67V and measure the plate and cathode voltages....
If I am not mistaken the 315V rating of these tubes if near to identical to the 6V6G specs so a similar v drop rectifier as the 5y3 should make everything run OK. With my setup as stated above I assume the Amp will be fine as you, AA, Dennis and I sat and listened to the 6v6g quad combo for a while in his listening room when I was picking mine up. I also recall Dennis buying a quad of same for his home PSE. As per Dennis' visual test, i.e. look for red-plating, I cannot do that here in my office. It never is dark enough so I am currently trusting everything is just going to be OK.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:03 PM

Perhaps you could run it much like a 6V6GT, but the 6V6GT is well known for being very hardy and capable of being run at 400+V. Some guitar amps run it at 450V.

The 6K6 is very similar to an EL84/6BQ5 in power output and plate voltage.

Last edited by Bombadil; 03-20-2017 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Addict View Post
Correct. I did a little research and a 5W4GT rectifier works well with the 6K6. It's a little less beefy that as 5Y3 or 80. A safe choice.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:11 PM

I know many people here are using the Omega speakers.
I have a pair myself, the compact alnico.

I know Omega offers an active sub, I've been mulling that over.
Two concerns.
#1 They usually put crappy amps in the "active" subs I've heard. Not sure what type of amp Omega is putting in their deepOMEGA 8, but probably not good?
#2 I'm worried if I use an SS amp with a subwoofer, it won't tonally mesh with the Fire-Bottle, I'm worried about stiff brittle bass, with the liquid sound the Fire-Bottle provides.

What are you guys using to help out the bass situation in your systems?
Old 03-20-2017, 02:18 PM

I have a bucket full of 6K6's that I was wondering what to do with. (Yes, happy to lend/share) I'll give them a try. I haven't been a 6V6 fan in my amp, but worth a go.

I've also realized that it's just hard to find a tube that sounds "bad" in these amps. Only one I can actually use the word "hate" was with a 6AR6.
Every other tube has it's merits and I think it comes down to finding a couple three combos to use for different musical genres.

As MA has so carefully and thoroughly documented, there are many wonderful combos to be refined in each one's system.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comzee View Post

Two concerns.
#1 They usually put crappy amps in the "active" subs I've heard. Not sure what type of amp Omega is putting in their deepOMEGA 8, but probably not good?
#2 I'm worried if I use an SS amp with a subwoofer, it won't tonally mesh with the Fire-Bottle, I'm worried about stiff brittle bass, with the liquid sound the Fire-Bottle provides.

Though I don't use Omegas, I have a Martin Logan Dynamo 700w that I use to augment my ML ESL's with the Inspire. SS handles bass much better than tube amps.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3workshop View Post
I have a bucket full of 6K6's that I was wondering what to do with. (Yes, happy to lend/share) I'll give them a try. I haven't been a 6V6 fan in my amp, but worth a go.

I've also realized that it's just hard to find a tube that sounds "bad" in these amps. Only one I can actually use the word "hate" was with a 6AR6.
Every other tube has it's merits and I think it comes down to finding a couple three combos to use for different musical genres.

As MA has so carefully and thoroughly documented, there are many wonderful combos to be refined in each one's system.
I 'spose the 6AR6 disaster was my doing. Many tubes sound good in these amps. The Shuguang KT66z and GL KT77 work best in my rig.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:

Two concerns.

I run a Velodyne DLS 3500R SUB which is quite an accomplisher, even though its main object is to complement home theater systems and therefore it is not of audiophile quality (if there is such thing in SUBs). Nevertheless, a good complement.

I'm having a pair of RED MOD high Frequency filters coming in to relieve the Inspire from the "nasties" of the really low frequencies, therefore alleviating its load, allowing it to do better overall, while the 100 Hz and under frequencies will be handled exclusively through the SUB. Right now, without those filters, I'm just reinforcing the 60-and-under Hz frequencies through the SUB, but the amp still handles the entire spectrum.

I'm not familiar with the Omegas, but I think those are great speakers. In general, if one has a full range floorstanding speaker set (mine are Lore 2.0), it depends on the output tubes in use. I don't need the SUB for the KT-77, KT-66Z, 6550 or KT-88's when driven with the LP-27a preamp, but I prefer the SUB with my 6P3S-E's, just because the latter are less pronounced in the lower frequencies (smaller tubes) and in turn the 6P3S-E's excel in the mids and highs, while the timbre and texture in the low-mids and high lows is also great, just less powerful.

If one has monitors, the SUB is a must in most cases, IME. I have relatively high sensitive Decware DM945's and these have always required a SUB to complement their lack of low-frequency power, due to their cabinets' physical limitations.

I suspect the earlier described filters will improve things around on an already quite balanced SUB-reinforced system with the smaller (6L6) tubes. The good thing about active SUBs is these can be adjusted through their own volume dial and crossover setting, so it is just a matter of finding the sweetspot in each case.

One more thing: "crampy" amps won't make much harm if the relevant SUB driver is of good quality, since we're making the SUB work only under the 100 Hz or so threshold.

Edit: Forgot to give credit on the High Freq Filter concept to Bombadil, who suggested them originally. Even though I have yet to try them (on their way) I believe the concept is spot on.

Last edited by Musica Amantem; 03-21-2017 at 08:56 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:

I'm using tower Von Schweikerts. Very, very similar (cabinet a little different but same drivers, crossovers, wiring) to these: http://positive-feedback.com/Issue40...nniversary.htm

These go down into the upper 20s cleanly. The bass from my Inspire, especially when using KT120s, is pretty good. Other tubes are surprisingly (to me) good too. Not quite as well defined and controlled as with a good SS amp, but still very enjoyable.

As such, I find little need to supplement the bass. I'm sure if I integrated a high end sub, that it would be better.

The overall sound is jaw-dropping fantastic. I feel these speakers bring out everything the Inspire has to offer.