AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Sooloos, Olive, Wadia, Sonos, to name a few

Old 02-28-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan View Post
I can't find the SSD storage option on Aurender's website or anywhere else. Could you post a link? Thanks, Ken
+1
Old 02-28-2016, 08:26 PM

I read about in on CA and asked my dealer. Found this link which shows it: http://www.aurender.com/page/musicservercomptable

Last edited by lostinla; 02-28-2016 at 08:30 PM.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:33 PM

Also here in the comparison table: http://www.aurender.com/page/audiophile
Old 03-02-2016, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinla View Post
I read about in on CA and asked my dealer. Found this link which shows it: AURENDER - Reference Music System
According to this chart, the only Aurender music server that offers an SSD storage option is the N10 and it is only 1 TB, which is insufficient space with the size of today's high res. files. The Antipodes DX offers up to 6 TB of SSD storage.

Ken
Old 03-02-2016, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan View Post
According to this chart, the only Aurender music server that offers an SSD storage option is the N10 and it is only 1 TB, which is insufficient space with the size of today's high res. files. The Antipodes DX offers up to 6 TB of SSD storage. Ken
Changing a hard right out is a non-issue especially if you copy bit for bit - should work -!and when you're spending this much money - does warrantee really matter? particularly if you can roll back to the original storage device.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:51 PM

Default Simple How to upgrade a modern Aurender HD

OK, i decided to take this task on because no where on the net is there any instructions on how to do this, other than send it in to your dealer or Aurrender.

First off, if you do this you may run the risk of voiding your warranty, damaging your unit, and or losing all of your data so proceed at your own risk. i emphasize that this is a task for anyone who is computer savvy and is comfortable working on a desktop with precision.

(1) make sure you have a compatible hard drive. Aurender instructs their dealers on which drives to use. For this process I am upgrading a n100h from a factory 2tb drive (WD Green Mobile) to a 4tb (Seagate Barracuda). Aurender recommends the hitachi drive, but any 2.5 mobile drive will work including most samsung SSDs from the 850evo/pro line. I purchased mine from Amazon for around $160.

(2) open your unit with the correct mini-allen. I used a micro screwdriver kit from Kobalt/Lowes and it has the perfect bit. It is only hand tightened so do not over tighten when closing. My n100h has 8 hex/allen screws on top. Make sure your unit is powered down properly and the main power switch is off. Word of caution, they used double sided tape in the middle to attach the cover to the cpu heat sink (AMD processor btw). use a thin card like a plastic business card to free the cover from the unit after the screws are removed. do it cleanly and carefully.

(3) at the rear right side is the 2.5 hard drive mount. Two small phillips screws will remove the bracket from the unit. The power/data cable has a silver release that you unlock and remove from the drive. Now carefully remove the two remaining screws in the side of the drive and free the mounting bracket. You will reuse all these screws and bracket. Set the old drive aside. Now if you are tech savvy and have either a linux machine or a mac or windows with the appropriate drivers to read and write EXT4fs you can actually copy all your songs to the new drive, otherwise backup your files to a NAS or computer and recopy them at the end. I used a mac with Paragon EXTfs and copied the files. This step comes later.

(4) attach your new hard drive to the n100h and let it dangle on the side next to the unit. power your unit back on. This is necessary to erase and format the new drive. If you don't do this you will have a huge headache on your hands. Power on the unit and load up your conductor app. You will need it to format the drive. Once it is up go to song and type in the search box exactly the following: format hdd If you do this right a message will pop up and ask you if you want to format a brand new blank drive and click on it. The process takes about 3-5 minutes and then the drive is prepared. Now properly power down your unit. If you are going to copy files over a network then basically reattach the bracket to the new drive, remount the drive to the chassis and attach the cover in reverse order. Then power back the unit and you have a factory fresh unit with a brand new upgraded drive. Otherwise proceed to step 5

(5) now mount both your old and new drive on a computer that is capable of reading linux EXT4fs. Again I used a startech.com dual drive mount/copier I purchased from Amazon (USB 3.1 model around $120) and Paragon EXTfs and both drives were mounted. I then copied my folders over (make sure you reveal hidden files in mac and copy over the temp and fs file as well). This took about 3 hours for 15000 files or about 1.2tb worth of music. I then unmounted the drives and attached the new drive back in the Aurender n100h as above.

fyi: my dealer told me which drive to get but he never told me how to get the conductor app to format the drive. that was with trial and error based on an older version using the term settingui which no longer works. Hope this helps you all. Feel free to message me and I will try to help you all.

Peace,
Noushy

Last edited by noushy; 06-17-2017 at 11:57 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:42 AM
No Work, No Worries

Noushy.......That is a very good post. I'm sure there are Aurender owners who will appreciate the detailed hard drive upgrade instructions. I appreciate you picking up where Golucid left off and filled in the blanks for us. Very useful information. Thank you.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:06 AM
Tech Nerd

I upgraded the 2TB mirrored HDDs in my Melco N1A with Sandisk 1TB SSDs in a RAID0 stripe, and am very pleased with the results. Mechanical drives make noise, and I am really surprised that any manufacturer of music servers still use hard disk drives, especially considering the crazy prices they charge.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:56 PM
No Work, No Worries

Quote:
Originally Posted by orosie View Post
I upgraded the 2TB mirrored HDDs in my Melco N1A with Sandisk 1TB SSDs in a RAID0 stripe, and am very pleased with the results. Mechanical drives make noise, and I am really surprised that any manufacturer of music servers still use hard disk drives, especially considering the crazy prices they charge.
Scott.......A good thing about the Aurender music servers is they playback from solid state caching drives. The hard drives are only used for storage and transfer of music files to the SSD, then are put to sleep. No noise, no vibration, added longevity.

Old 06-18-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Noushy.......That is a very good post. I'm sure there are Aurender owners who will appreciate the detailed hard drive upgrade instructions. I appreciate you picking up where Golucid left off and filled in the blanks for us. Very useful information. Thank you.
You are all welcome.

Noushy