Originally Posted by Bar81 View Post
So, what happened?
I was wondering the same.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bar81 View Post
So, what happened?
+1
Wilson Audio Alexia + Mezzo | Dan D'Agostino Momentum PRE & S250 | Esoteric P02x & D02x | Torus AVR2-16 | Marantz AV8805 | Panasonic UB9000 | Bryston 7B3 & 9BSST2 | ScreenTechnics 125" 2.37 Screen | JVC X7900 | Krix A20 (4) | JL Audio F113 (2)
Old 06-27-2017, 02:53 AM

Thanks for your interest, received the amps back from repair today..... 7 months since the original overheating problem....it's been a saga. So far all good, sounds great but I'm sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for the next problem. There was a long delay in getting the parts out of Ayre USA.
I hope I can get past this and just enjoy the music. Too scared to connect Ayre link..I do like the convenience but can't go another couple of months without sound. The Dealer says he checked out the Ayre link functions and all worked well ..... will build up courage in a coulee of weeks to try it out.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:01 AM

well ..... I just could not be patient enough and tried Ayre link...(using the original cables supplied with the amps.) They are awfully long. Nothing has blown up but it doesn't work. So on one occasion the amps went from standby to power on when I switched the preamp on with the remote but they did not go back into standby when I switched the preamp off with the remote. So could switch on but not off. The other function (dimming the lights) worked fine. However now one amp glows purple (low mains power) when switched on with Ayre link connected and doesn't ever go into standby or full on.
Despite reassurances that it tested perfectly it's still not right. Any suggestions?

I just feel that after buying these amps and then upgrading it should all work flawlessly, I sent the whole bang shoot to the dealer pre and both power amps so that they could make sure it all worked correctly. I am over this now but resale will not be good if not functionally normal.

I think my only recourse now is to send the lot back to Boulder, not sure if they will accept that but this has been going on for 7 months now, and needs to be fixed.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinster View Post
well ..... I just could not be patient enough and tried Ayre link...(using the original cables supplied with the amps.) They are awfully long. Nothing has blown up but it doesn't work. So on one occasion the amps went from standby to power on when I switched the preamp on with the remote but they did not go back into standby when I switched the preamp off with the remote. So could switch on but not off. The other function (dimming the lights) worked fine. However now one amp glows purple (low mains power) when switched on with Ayre link connected and doesn't ever go into standby or full on.
Despite reassurances that it tested perfectly it's still not right. Any suggestions?

I just feel that after buying these amps and then upgrading it should all work flawlessly, I sent the whole bang shoot to the dealer pre and both power amps so that they could make sure it all worked correctly. I am over this now but resale will not be good if not functionally normal.

I think my only recourse now is to send the lot back to Boulder, not sure if they will accept that but this has been going on for 7 months now, and needs to be fixed.
I really feel for you.It is so frustrating when there is such an extended wait and things are not 100%.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:

Again sorry for this frustration - I have been there with other products and sometimes it just is not meant to be. Life is short.

But from the way you described it, Ayrelink is working as intended - the units all power up instantly when one of the connected components is turned on. However, the components do not all turn off if you just briefly hit the remote power switch or the power on one of the connected components. to get everything to turn off you need to press and hold power button about 1-2 seconds. then everything should turn off.

I can't help with the low power violet light - is that only when Ayrelink connected or all the time. good luck
Old 06-28-2017, 07:05 AM

So guys I'm all smiles now....at least for the last 15 minutes. Seems like the order of power application is important. can';t quite remember which way I did it, initially having the purple light on the right hand amp to getting it all working, but switching power to the preamp at the right time, relative to the power amps has resulted in Ayre link working!!! It must be the worst designed bit of electronics on the planet..... pity the amp is so good. So perhaps 7 months to the day that the amps overheated I am up and running.
Having listened to your reports of Ayre service I was quick to blame my local agent....but in reality they received appalling support from the US...as did I. I am looking forward to enjoying years of great fidelity.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:24 AM

Quote:
but in reality they received appalling support from the US...as did I. I am looking forward to enjoying years of great fidelity.
What was the bad service they received from the US?

Note that as a small company, Ayre doesn't always have whole assemblies just lying around waiting to be swapped into components or shipped out.

This can be seen by the fact that their backlog for new orders - i.e. new money coming in the front door - is over two months for some products. When I bought my MX-R Twenties, they took about that long to make and ship and my KX-R Twenty update was faster simply because they had the parts on hand to do a bunch as they were doing mass updates for dealers to get demo units into the field.

Trust me, I've been to Ayre several times (they're literally about fifteen minutes away from me) and aside from running into Charlie on many occasions you'd be shocked how small a company they really are, especially compared to a local competitor like Boulder.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:37 PM

Agreed. No idea what "apalling support" he's going on about.