AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Conrad-Johnson

Conrad-Johnson It just sounds right

Old 09-12-2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turntable View Post
cj use Sovtek 6922's as stk now?

they have always used Electro Harmonix in the past. Is the Electro now hard to get, as it is better sounding than the Sovtek.
I was surprised to see the Sovtek. I expected to see an Electro Harmonix. I ordered a couple of EH 6922's along with the EAT Cool Damper and MusicDirect back ordered the EH tubes. If I had known they were not in stock when I placed the order, I would not have paid for them. Not very nice of them.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turntable View Post
they have always used Electro Harmonix in the past. Is the Electro now hard to get, as it is better sounding than the Sovtek.
I just ordered a set of 6922EH's for my Premier 17 from The Tube Store last Thursday. They shipped--all five (I ordered a spare) of them--on Friday.

Bedroom: Aurender N150, TEAC UD-505 AKM version (to be replaced by inbound Bryston BDA-3), EMIA Cu Elmaformer passive line stage, conrad-johnson MF2500, Paradigm Studio 20 v5. Shunyata Delta D6, Altaira CG hub. Shunyata Alpha XC, Delta NR v2, Alpha USB, Alpha and Venom CGC/SGC. Wireworld Eclipse 8 interconnect & speaker cables. Stillpoints footers, Butcher Block Acoustics maple platforms. Stillpoints and GIK acoustic panels.

Home Office:Windows 11 PC/JRiver 31, TEAC UD-501, Luminous Audio Technology Axiom II Walker Mod passive, conrad-johnson Sonographe SA-250, Paradigm SE-1. Shunyata Hydra (Original Version), Venom 10 NR. Wireworld Eclipse 7 interconnects. Blue Jeans speaker cable.

Living-Dining Room: Windows 11 Laptop/JRiver 29, Oppo BD-83, TEAC UD-501 DAC, SOTA Sapphire TT, Graham Slee Era Gold V, Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh MR-77, c-j Sonographe SC-25, c-j MF2500, Paradigm SE-3. Wireworld 8 IC, Blue Jeans SC. Shunyata Hydra 8 v.2, Shunyata Delta NR, Venom NR. GIK 244 bass & scatter-plate panels.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:59 AM

So far the Gold Lion beats the Sovtek, no contest. Vocals are better on the GL and there seems to be more air around the instruments and voices. Everything is easier to differentiate with the GL tube. Vocals seem more natural on the GL as compared to the Sovtek, they were a little raspy and strident on the Sovtek. The Sovtek was not as clear or open and a little congested for my taste. I could live with the GL if were between these two. I crave a touch more warmth (that could be the solid state amp I am hearing) although the tube is still young. I am not sure of the history on the Sovtek and I think the EAT Cool Damper is also helping the GL tube sound better.

One thing I'd like to add is the C-J ET5 in front of the MC601's make a VERY nice combination. I think these two bring out the best in each other.

Last edited by joeinid; 09-13-2011 at 04:08 AM.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:35 AM

Great news Joe !

The EAT Red tube damper/cooler looks "cool" also but my cats are against it
They like hot amps !
Old 09-13-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275
Great news Joe !

The EAT Red tube damper/cooler looks "cool" also but my cats are against it
They like hot amps !
Ha! Hot amps give cool music. Maybe you could buy one EAT cool damper for the cats to play with.

Last edited by joeinid; 09-13-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:06 PM

It seems to me that 6922 Sovtek and Electro music Harmonix are identical structurally, the difference is at the level of the tolerances of manufacturing and the selection ?

l
LP12SE,urika phonostage,radikal power supply, dynavector XV-1s,conrad-johnson GAT and LP275M, Sonus Faber Elipsa,yter/naim/Linn cables, vibex, finite elemente
Old 09-13-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafale View Post
It seems to me that 6922 Sovtek and Electro music Harmonix are identical structurally, the difference is at the level of the tolerances of manufacturing and the selection ?
Do you think the Electro Harmonix is made better with higher tolerance?

So far, and only comparing to the Sovtek, I am very happy with the Gold Lion. It is settling in nicely and once I am comfortable with it, I will pop in something else to compare. I may even try the C-J ET5 in front of the Burmester 911 and see where that takes me.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
Do you think the Electro Harmonix is made better with higher tolerance?

So far, and only comparing to the Sovtek, I am very happy with the Gold Lion. It is settling in nicely and once I am comfortable with it, I will pop in something else to compare. I may even try the C-J ET5 in front of the Burmester 911 and see where that takes me.
yes I think that difference between EH and Sovtek is a question of tolerances of manufacturing, with less drift for EH regarding to the 6922 specifications/data sheet, what has to impose a much more severe sorting on CJ with a lot of refusal.....to confirm

l
LP12SE,urika phonostage,radikal power supply, dynavector XV-1s,conrad-johnson GAT and LP275M, Sonus Faber Elipsa,yter/naim/Linn cables, vibex, finite elemente
Old 09-13-2011, 04:54 PM

Thanks Philippe,

I may cancel the MusicDirect backorder and re-order the Electro Harmonix gold pin from somewhere else to give them a try. I suppose C-J sells tubes direct for their gear. I'll have to call them and see what they recommend.

Joe
Old 09-13-2011, 05:15 PM

Joe
Did you try the EAT cool damper with the stock tube ?

l