AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Subwoofers

Subwoofers 80hz and Down under!

Old 01-12-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Anderson View Post
The level at which you listen is very important. Google "Fletcher-Munson Equal Loudness Contour Curves".

If the amount of bass sounds (and measures) right at 83-85 dB SPL, the sub to mains tuning is correct. When you listen at lower volume, you need more bass.

It's nice to have an EQ to boost bass level if you are not listening at the level where the ear has the flattest frequency response. Sort of like the "loudness" switch on old receivers.
The ear doesn't have a "flat response" at ANY volume.

Everything is relative.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Anderson View Post
Achieving uniform bass at many locations in the room is desirable. Bass traps may help solve problems that placement and room tuning can't.
RoomPerfect also helped my rooms bass quality tremendously.

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 03-25-2018, 12:11 PM

Any progress?
Old 04-01-2018, 02:29 PM

I had an SB16, not the ported box, but I never got it to sound musical in my Salon2 system. As soon as I replaced it with a JL F113/2, the situation improved even before fully dialing in the new sub. It wasn't a question of LF energy. There was plenty but the sound was grainy and disconnected even when being stingy with gain.

SVS sells these with the implication that you don't really need a crossover although they don't come directly out and say that. I don't think it's possible to get in the ballpark using the SVS 16s without the high pass leg. It as hard enough to tune the JLs without a crossover. The SVS' additional output makes it even harder. It's not as if the Revels can't keep up. Sometimes too much is just too much. I wish it were otherwise but I have to say my experience makes me skeptical of the high marks the SVS 16s receive in most reviews.

Last edited by Pampero; 04-01-2018 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohibaman View Post
Any progress?
Yes.
Here's the latest.
I got used to the lower bass output but:
As they further broke in they got louder.
The bass is still a lot tighter than before the masterset.
Movies and Netflix has crazy deep bass, and music is still weaker than I prefer but if I turn up the bass for music, it's way too loud for movies. I'm at the best compromise.
I played with some loaner bass traps for a few hours. The bass gets louder and deeper. I haven't ordered them yet, but leaning towards Artnovion. They also enhance the mids in my bright reflective room.
We also put a Shunyata Delta NR on one of the two subs. Believe it or not it makes a difference. We'd swap the Shunyata cable on the left and right side a few times, what was pointed out is that the side with the shunyata was more open and spacious. As if the corner that sub was in felt like it was 10 feet further away than it really was. Whichever sub had the upgraded cable had that effect.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:05 PM

I'm not going to say get different subs -- you own these already. The question is, how to get the best out of them?

Have you tried them in sealed mode? That tends to even out the low bass.

Have you measured frequency response at the listening position and adjusted the subs' EQ accordingly, especially to lower any peaks?

Have you tried radically different positions for the subs? In many rooms, the best position for subs is near the listening chairs or behind them.

Your installer may be right about bass traps. I don't know your room, but in general bass trapping helps a lot with bass definition. It's not often appreciated that what bass traps do, mostly, is lower decay (reverberation) time, rather than affect frequency response. Fat bass traps in the corners (e.g., GIK soffit traps) might help considerably. For very low frequencies, you need thickness, unless you are buying tuned traps ($$$) of some kind.

And I agree with others that high-passing the main speakers may be an improvement. But since that means buying more electronics, try those other things first (unless you already have means for high-passing the mains).

Unless you have money to burn, I would try all those things before spending on Shunyata-grade AC conditioning. What you need now is to invest time, thought, and effort, and a little money for acoustics, IMO.

HTH

Last edited by Mike-48; 04-28-2018 at 08:10 PM.